www.immersionrc.com

Thread: Vortex - Vtx Replacement

Navigator

Vortex - Vtx Replacement

Can anyone tell me where I can find a direct replacement for the Vortex Vtx and the metal spring that holds it into place? I'm really curious to know if anyone has been able to find the metal spring or similar replacement?

renewb but learning fast mudcamper's Avatar
    I asked the same thing a couple days ago. (Well I only asked about the vTx, not the spring clip thing.) My post is just a few down from this one. No actual answer yet.

I sent emails to support at IRC, GetFPV, and ReadyMadeRC asking how I can buy this. I'll let you know if I get any responses.

If you are in the UK, I found an online retailer there that sells them, but none in the US (or anywhere else).

Navigator
    Thanks, I was able to find that store in the UK that sells the vTx for the Vortex (Head in the Clouds RC). I ordered a new one. It'll take a little longer to arrive, but hopefully it fixes my problem. When I ordered it looked like the site had one vTx left, but no mention of the metal spring/clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinzel98 View Post
    Thanks, I was able to find that store in the UK that sells the vTx for the Vortex (Head in the Clouds RC). I ordered a new one. It'll take a little longer to arrive, but hopefully it fixes my problem. When I ordered it looked like the site had one vTx left, but no mention of the metal spring/clip.
    Thanks for posting back. I assume it's this one: http://www.headinthecloudsrc.co.uk/p...roducts_id=183

How's their shipping to U.S.?

Also, in the process of finding other resellers, did you find any that sold other vtx's?

Finally, did you end up just hot gluing or zip tie'ing your vtx down without that meta clip?

Thanks!

Navigator
    I actually haven't received the Vtx yet. I ordered on Friday, so hopefully it'll show up sometime in the next 7 - 10 days. That said, I've ordered from Head in the Clouds before and haven't had an issue with shipping. Obviously takes longer then if I was able to order in the U.S., but given that I haven't found a single supplier in the U.S. that has a direct replacement Vtx for the Vortex not much in the way of other options.

About the metal clip, I'm hoping the Vtx I ordered has one with it (ImmersionRC you should include one with the Vtx given that it is an integral part of keeping it in place), but if it doesn't come with one then I'm thinking hot glue. The VTX gets hot so I'm worried it might melt the zip ties, maybe not.

Funny, I clicked on the link you posted above and it looks like they took down the Vtx. I wonder if they sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinzel98 View Post
    I actually haven't received the Vtx yet. I ordered on Friday, so hopefully it'll show up sometime in the next 7 - 10 days. That said, I've ordered from Head in the Clouds before and haven't had an issue with shipping. Obviously takes longer then if I was able to order in the U.S., but given that I haven't found a single supplier in the U.S. that has a direct replacement Vtx for the Vortex not much in the way of other options.

About the metal clip, I'm hoping the Vtx I ordered has one with it (ImmersionRC you should include one with the Vtx given that it is an integral part of keeping it in place), but if it doesn't come with one then I'm thinking hot glue. The VTX gets hot so I'm worried it might melt the zip ties, maybe not.

Funny, I clicked on the link you posted above and it looks like they took down the Vtx. I wonder if they sold out.
    Interesting... that link worked just within 24 hours ago. Hope the last legit supplier of these proprietary vtx's didn't just close this SKU.

Regarding heat on the vtx, zip ties ought to be fine. It is certainly one of the hottest components on the quad on par with motors and ESCs under normal load. You can see how in both of these infrared videos ranging from 2.5 to 5 minutes that the vtx gets to around the 90's F but doesn't seem to go much further (if the antenna is still functionally intact).

renewb but learning fast mudcamper's Avatar
    I guessed I should have snatched up the one from that UK retailer before it was gone. I can't find anybody who has it.

Edit. Just got an email from Randy at IRC Support. He says he has some. Just waiting on instructions on how to order...
    Last edited by mudcamper; 26th October 2015 at 12:32 PM.

Lost in FPV
    I just smoked my VTX changing to s-bus ... that lovely metal band that holds the VTX down shorted it out... I ordered mine from nghobbies.com... its a place in Canada... i believe they have about 12 in stock last I checked

Quote Originally Posted by LJFPV View Post
    I just smoked my VTX changing to s-bus ... that lovely metal band that holds the VTX down shorted it out... I ordered mine from nghobbies.com... its a place in Canada... i believe they have about 12 in stock last I checked

You aren't alone. Weeks ago I made the same mistake and burned the part. I new vtx didn't help - it's the PDB which gets defective after you fritted it with the steel blade spring.
    Last edited by Mavericksan; 5th September 2016 at 09:23 AM.

Lost in FPV
    It's def the PDB ??? I get power to my FC and I'm able to connect to Betaflight I just get nothing but snow in my goggles.