Thread: Gimbal Alternative

Navigator

Gimbal Alternative

There is a fundraiser on Kickstarter that will end in 3 days that might be relevant for those of us who use gimbals to stabilize our flight videos.

In a nutshell, they use an attachment to the camera which has onboard gyros recording the camera's movement. The subsequent video is then processed by their software which takes into account the camera's movement while providing a stabilized video - similar to what Adobe's software can do, but since the movements are already known in advance the processing time is dramatically reduced.

The downside to all this is that you will lose some of your captured video around the edges since the software is shifting its POV within the frame.

I have no monetary incentive in this fundraiser, and I've made a pledge for the item that fits on the back of the GoPro for full disclosure. Just thinking it might be of interest to other members of the Lab.

Look under SteadXP.

Yeah, somebody posted this a while ago.... I suppose it has it's uses but I prefer the hardware gimbal for now.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSII View Post
    Yeah, somebody posted this a while ago.... I suppose it has it's uses but I prefer the hardware gimbal for now.
    I was thinking of using it in addition to the gimbal to help smooth out any irregularities that might pop up...but perhaps that is overkill?