Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concepts for the TBS Discovery Pro (all forms)

Concepts for the TBS Discovery Pro (all forms)

The Pro is an old frame (by multi rotor standards, nothing wrong with that!), and although I love mine to bits there are always possible improvements. So in the interest of advancing the frame I am putting a few concepts here. If they have been rendered I more than likely have the capability to produce them

I am milling around a few ideas, some have merit and some are theoretical. Time and application will tell.

Discovery Pro Endurance Motor mount with built in vibration dampening (inspired by A-MOB)
    I don't know if you know much about 3D printing, but there is a material you can print with called Ninja-Flex. Besides it having incredible elasticity it is also a little rubbery. One of the things you can make with it is vibration dampening sponges like the Disco Pro already has. With the correct amount of splicing you could use it as an inbuilt dampening layer (see green layer). If it can hold 80kg of weight, why not a multi?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anti Vibe Mount.jpg 
Views:	831 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	66368

Discovery Pro Endurance Extended leg (inspired by A-MOB)
    It is actually a common request (how can I extend the legs), and I am surprised an option has not come out. Here is a concept of the A-MOB leg extension, once you look at it you can see it would be pretty easy to make. This one here is height specific to a extended battery compartment for the endurance I am making. It is not designed to actually take the weight of the platform as the A-MOB shoulders are notoriously weak. It is really just to help steady on takeoff or landing so you don't tip a prop into the ground. Overall you will have 5 points of contact (4 legs and body).
    https://www.youmagine.com/designs/tb...ance-100mm-leg

Discovery Pro Endurance Battery Platform
    No real secret here, I have a working battery platform in prototype form. Just needing to do more testing and take it to the next level (final prototype).

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443138221.393538.jpg 
Views:	2964 
Size:	374.2 KB 
ID:	66594

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444637993.057298.jpg 
Views:	2786 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	67081

3 Axis Gimbal Mount
    I am tossing up a bit here, have not decided if I will fabricate the 3rd axis on the standard TBS Gimbal or just put a DJI/Tarot gimbal on. Mounting options so far are rail mount or additive design. Rail mount would involve adapting standard rail mount into the TBS design to allow for any rail mounted gimbal where additive would turn the current two axis into three. ZERO JELLO at 4K!!!!

Name:	Mount full.png 
Views:	803 
Size:	474.7 KB 
ID:	66781

Name:	Mount clear.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	66782

Attachment 67203

Requires:
    • Mounting base STL
    • Mounting Plate G-code (1mm Corn Cutter, 1.5mm CF)
    • Tarot 12mm gimbal rails
    • Feiyu Tech 3 Axis Mini Gimbal (Give mee deets for DJI and I can make those too)

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/tb...gimbal-platfom

TBS Unify case redesign
    Don't know whether you have noticed, but the unify standard case has vertical cooling fins. Which is counter productive to airflow, especially if like me you heat shrink it to the TBS stand. Also the switch selection is faced to the stand making changing channels annoying if required. The design I have started on solves all these issues.

Modular Arm design
    The Disco Pro is nice, and so is the endurance version. The classic can go into overhead luggage but there really isn't a feasible solution for the Endurance if you want to take it somewhere. This is where a modular design would come in handy. Today I fly with the classic, tomorrow the Endurance. There are basic gains to setup, which can be changed pretty easily remotely. With the naza and Pixhack you can also put in either battery, so there is no problem there either.

Strengthened Arm design (inspired by Lala)
    We all know the standard arms are weak as, especially in the shoulder region. So here is a solution that incorporates elements of both the original design and the "Lala" arms. The Amob shoulder is the same, just added 2mm CF plate top and bottom tying it all in with another grip point further out. I have only used red to highlight the additional part.

Name:	Advanced mount.png 
Views:	617 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	66663
    https://www.youmagine.com/designs/tb...-brace-concept

4 Cell battery alarm holder
    I wanted one, so I made it. It gets underslung at the rear of the Disco. Hobbyking design.

Name:	4cell batt alarm holder.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	67225

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445137668.958939.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	67227

Download STL Here

Handy links for other concepts:

Yeggi - its like google for 3D printing.
    Durahl@Shapeway - Durahl has a few items you might like.

If you have some ideas, put them here. You never know, we might get something going.

*** update ***
    21/2/16 Updated YM links
    20/01/16 Changed Gimbal plate from Gcode to STL
    10/11/2015 Updated 100mm leg to more curvy design (stronger)
    18/10/15 Added 4cell alarm holder
    12/10/15 Added links to STL
    04/10/15 3 Axis Gimbal pictures added
    29/9/15 Added strengthened tube shoulder
    28/9/15 Added concept for modular arms
    25/9/15 Battery prototype tray pic and gimbal details updated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extended leg.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	66369  
    Last edited by Nightram; 28th October 2016 at 09:21 PM.

subscribed

Unless you're doing them yourself then 3D Printing the modified AerialMOB Parts isn't exactly going to be cheap - Speaking from Experience as I've done something similar with the Motor Mounts but with the intend to have a Dihedral Effect.

That being said, why not take the opportunity and slightly modify the Legs so inserting a CF Rod would be a possible option thus increasing the height if necessary for those that do not fear the arms breaking off? Just a thought =)

Quote Originally Posted by Durahl View Post
    Unless you're doing them yourself then 3D Printing the modified AerialMOB Parts isn't exactly going to be cheap - Speaking from Experience as I've done something similar with the Motor Mounts but with the intend to have a Dihedral Effect.

That being said, why not take the opportunity and slightly modify the Legs so inserting a CF Rod would be a possible option thus increasing the height if necessary for those that do not fear the arms breaking off? Just a thought =)
    What is cheaper? $24 per kg for filament or CF tube?

For me the filament is cheaper as my local office store sells it (officeworks), but CF tube is not sold in my state.

And shape ways is expensive as feck.

The CF Rod wasn't meant to replace your existing 3D Model. It was supposed to be an optional feature that would allow those with access to it to increase the height even further by simply using a, in my area, readily available material.

I would love to try a set of those motor mounts if you make them for a 16mm diameter CF tube plzzz

Quote Originally Posted by DroneKarma View Post
    I would love to try a set of those motor mounts if you make them for a 16mm diameter CF tube plzzz
    My printer arrives Friday, I might get in contact in a week or so

I would luv a set of the mob leg extensions. just what I've been looking for dude
    flyin HIGH

Quote Originally Posted by nightram View Post
    My printer arrives Friday, I might get in contact in a week or so
    What printer are you getting?
    If you contact me i would be a very happy flyer Your the best :P

Quote Originally Posted by DroneKarma View Post
    What printer are you getting?
    If you contact me i would be a very happy flyer Your the best :P
    Pm 'd, it is a Createbot DX03. I happen to be a new agent for them.
    Last edited by Nightram; 23rd September 2015 at 01:33 AM.