www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Throttle dropping after 50% Throttle Input then comes back up - SOLVED

Forum Member

Unhappy Vortex Throttle dropping after 50% Throttle Input then comes back up - SOLVED

CF 1.9.1
    FW .15
    Porco pro-tune Extreme

I started noticing this issue after I started using the Spektrum CPPM wire for spektrum satellites. I used to have the homemade wire plugged into the GPS port and never encountered this issue. 90% of the time It seems as if the motors loose power for a split second, they don't stop, they just slow down for a short while..Obviously this is where i give more throttle because i can see that i'm starting to loose height.

It is very annoying. Also I'm flying it with brand new Lumenier batteries 1300 60C 3S. (i noted in another post someone say that lumenier batteries have voltage issues?? I've flown other lumenier batteries on the vortex and never had any issues, these are brand new.)

Also a weird thing today that might relate to this issue.Today I was ready to fly I try to take off, and Motor 3 wasn't spinning at all...I unscrewed the sidepanels to verify that everything was well plugged..And as soon as i pushed on the what seemed to be a well plugged-in ESC connection with the board, the motor came back to life...OKKKKKK..so a connection issue. Great. I put in the battery and start flying. It fly's ok, however every 10-20 seconds I'm getting a variation on the throttle. It slows down maybe -20% and sometimes it spikes not much, just enough to hit the branch you were trying to fly under. maybe a +10 +15% throttle variation.

Then at home with props off I started testing and came out with this. As soon as I pass the 50% mark on the throttle sticks I notice the motor speed decreases until i get to 60% then it comes back up normally. I made a graph showing what it does. and also recorded a Video.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vortex motor throttle.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	66332

My Endpoints on the transmitter are 101% and 101% in order to get the 1000 to 2000 range in cleanflight. If I do 100% 100% i can't arm /disarm quad.

I'll try doing the same test with my good old homemade wire and the GPS port instead of the cppm
    Last edited by Nes; 20th September 2015 at 08:07 PM. Reason: I found the Issue

Forum Member
    In way I hope the homemade cable works for you. Cause that might be the problem with the issues im having.

Forum Member
    Could it be the Poti in your Throttle Stick? just a thought.. did you try it on another copter too? maybe the poti is a bit broken on your ~60% Position.

Forum Member
    I will try it tonight and come back with an update..Someone else mentioned it could be my transmitter .

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Where did you get the graph? Is it an output from your transmitter or the FC on the Vortex?
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swillhide View Post
    Where did you get the graph? Is it an output from your transmitter or the FC on the Vortex?
    I made it within Excel, with imaginary numbers just to help people understand the issue, The feeling I had when I was flying it, and also it associates with the noise you can hear within the video.
    So it<s not real data from the tx or the FC. I wish I could do that but don<t have an openlog chip installed yet to log everything.. That was my frist reason I switched from the hommeade wire to the spektrum cppm wire, in order to plug in an openlog chip to use BlackBox.

Forum Member
    I've seen this numerous times before (mainly on helis) and they were all Spektrum and all faulty pots on the throttle. Try it on another TX if you can.
    Hope you resolve it soon

Forum Member
    Ok, Here Is the Update.

The issue is not there anymore and I don't understand why. I have tried my tx with my Blade Nano FPV and the issue wasn't there. So I tried the vortex again and the issue was gone...I do agree that it looked most likely a Potentiometer issue. But as soon as I checked the Monitoring option on the TX everything seemed fine, no glitches etc.. So it's truely curious...I should have checked my TX monitor when the issue was happening.

So for now I will stay alert and check if the issue will come back. I'm starting to think it might be a loose connection somewhere on the board of the vortex or maybe a grain of sand in my TX pot?

A mistery...

Forum Member
    yeah, especially if you didnt Change anything on the vortex, i beleve ist the potis one time more. maybe there is a Little loose Connection in the poti, that will also prove that the Problem isnt there everytime.

Forum Member
    I SOLVED the issue.

I have found out that the issue was caused by the BARO altitude hold in CleanFlight. I had assigned this setting in CleanFlight to one of my TX's Switch and completly forgot about it. The switch was sometimes accidently turned on and off by the TX's foam box when I was getting it out of the box, or putting it back in. Since I never use that switch and forgot about the fact that I had set the BARO to test it out Whenever I was flying if the switch happened to be on I was getting the issue. So as soon as i switched it off No more problems at all Yay. I always fly Acro and it seems that the altitude hold doesn't cope really well with fast aerobatics in acro mode lol.

Hope this will help others if they encounter the issue. It definatly had the same reaction as a faulty POT on the transmitter however the monitor on the tx never showed any issues at all with my throttle so that got me to think, and eventually figure the stupid switch out.