Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First setup (Tri-Copter FPV) and more.... Please give me your suggestions / feedback

Navigator

Cool First setup (Tri-Copter FPV) and more.... Please give me your suggestions / feedback

Hello all,

I am getting ready to make my first FPV setup. I am building a RCExplorer Tricopter V2 with a KK Multicopter controller and would like to fly it FPV. I eventually want to build a long range system but for now only want to fly at most .5km . I have been looking at OSD's, Goggles, VTX's VRX's and trying to read as much on here as I can. (THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR POSTING GREAT INFO AND VIDEOS!! ) I was thinking of buying a really good OSD that I can use for everything and not have to upgrade anytime soon. The other purchase would be a set of FatShark Dominators with the 5.8g tx/rx so I have a nice way to view the video feed. Again, looking at the future and not needing to upgrade those. I would love input on this setup for a first system that could end up going into a plane once I go to a 1.3g setup.

RMRC http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=781
    Upgraded to the Dominator headset still on 5.8g with IBCrazy's antennas.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=27

$805 bucks to start but with this I will be able to use the OSD for a while on the tricopter and in the future can move that to a plane then find a cheapie OSD for the tricopter. I plan to keep the tricopter on 5.8g since range is not a big deal for that and I will be flying on 2.4g Futaba for now.

Once I build an FPV plane I would move the EagleTree OSD to it and run either dragonlink or another long range system with a 1.3ghz setup.

Please let me know what you think and any suggestions, I am looking forward to enjoying the world of FPV.

Thanks for everything!!!!!

Ernie

KC9UAN
    Ernie, my first advice is to start small. Build the tricoptor and then fly it that way, when you end the day with several flights and nothing broke, then start thinking about buying your basic FPV system. I started out flying FPV with an easystar, a camera and a video transmitter. For my ground station I used a old TV with a built in VCR for recording. Remember this, everything that flies in the air can get lost or broke so the less money you have tied up in it the less you lose when it flies away to places unknown. After you have flown and get good at it reward your self with an OSD or any other things that you may want.
    By the way I'm starting to fly my tricoptor that I just built and am thinking about placing an order from Ready Made RC soon.

KC9UAN
    Oops I forgot, my second advice is to leave the 10mm wood arms about 5,6 inches longer then what is needed. They seem to break right next to the body and when they do all you have to do is just move the stuff out a little bit and shove the arm in a little bit and your good to go for the next repair.
    Kent

I agree about keeping it simple. I would hold off on installing OSD in your tricopter until you are comfortable hovering, landing and moving around while under the goggles. I'd also just use the stock whip on your vtx.

Flying rotary aircraft is a tad disorienting at first and you may crash. Not worth losing an expensive OSD or expensive antenna.
    youtube.com/user/kevinv033
    vimeo.com/kevinv033

Navigator
    Thanks so much for the advise. I will be ordering a cheapie OSD from HK for now and maybe reflash it with a different firmware. Can't wait to get it all together.

Ernie

Navigator
    i tried flying fpv on my fpv manuals tricopter with 1.3ghz gear and it was really heavy. i ordered all 5.8ghz stuff to use on my multi rotors and just use the 1.3 ghz stuff on my park zone radian. i can fly anything line of site perfectly but fpv is a whole other world. i thought it would be easier to fly fpv but for me its harderlol and i have yet to have a successful fpv flight. my last flight i tried fpv i was actually flying fine and getting the hang of it, but my gaui flight controllers gain was to high and it just wet crazy so i freaked out bc i couldn't tell what was going on. so i set it/ kind of crashed into snow and spent an hour trying to find it. so I've just took all the gear off and I've bren spending time tuning my gauss board so it won't happen again but so far i can't get it to stop going crazy i think it might be the cold here in alaska. i finally got my Copter control on my tricopter tuned well but i need to balance the props still and upgrade the motors and sec's which i ordered today. take getting into fpv slow and see what works and what you need just buy as you go. i rushed into it and bought 1.3ghz stuff because i new i could eventually do long range with it but its all to big for my multis at the moment. so i ended up spending more money to order 5.8 ghz stuff. i also have an EZosd which is pretty much useless because its just extra weight and takes up a lot of room on a tricopter. so just buy stuff as you go and need it. chances are you won't be doing any long range soon so an odd is not needed and you could save more room and weight and room just using a battery monitor with a buzzer on it. build your tricopter fly it get used to how it flies then see if you think fpv will be your thing. also it might take you a while to get it flying decent so you have plenty of time to research more.

FPV Legendary Loser Mark Hitchman's Avatar
    My first fpv tricopter flight today, was awesome. If you can buy a open pilot board you should go for it, they are the ducks nuts. Get good goggles, you'll have them forever, unlike the components on your airframe which will eventually get trashed or lost
    I used an EZosd which is way overkill, the HK one is all you need for a start, voltage or amps is the most important I think, the multi rotors suck through the juice.
    A cased camera is good to have too, it will survive most crashes. Thats my 0.02

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by addikted2boost View Post
    i tried flying fpv on my fpv manuals tricopter with 1.3ghz gear and it was really heavy. i ordered all 5.8ghz stuff to use on my multi rotors and just use the 1.3 ghz stuff on my park zone radian. i can fly anything line of site perfectly but fpv is a whole other world. i thought it would be easier to fly fpv but for me its harderlol and i have yet to have a successful fpv flight. my last flight i tried fpv i was actually flying fine and getting the hang of it, but my gaui flight controllers gain was to high and it just wet crazy so i freaked out bc i couldn't tell what was going on. so i set it/ kind of crashed into snow and spent an hour trying to find it. so I've just took all the gear off and I've bren spending time tuning my gauss board so it won't happen again but so far i can't get it to stop going crazy i think it might be the cold here in alaska. i finally got my Copter control on my tricopter tuned well but i need to balance the props still and upgrade the motors and sec's which i ordered today. take getting into fpv slow and see what works and what you need just buy as you go. i rushed into it and bought 1.3ghz stuff because i new i could eventually do long range with it but its all to big for my multis at the moment. so i ended up spending more money to order 5.8 ghz stuff. i also have an EZosd which is pretty much useless because its just extra weight and takes up a lot of room on a tricopter. so just buy stuff as you go and need it. chances are you won't be doing any long range soon so an odd is not needed and you could save more room and weight and room just using a battery monitor with a buzzer on it. build your tricopter fly it get used to how it flies then see if you think fpv will be your thing. also it might take you a while to get it flying decent so you have plenty of time to research more.

+1 on this advice!!
    youtube.com/user/kevinv033
    vimeo.com/kevinv033

Navigator

Navigator
    Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it!!!!

Ernie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast