Thread: Looking for some GoPro advice

Question Looking for some GoPro advice

So I went flying last night, recording the flight with my GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition. It was nearing dusk, the sky looked great, ground not so much.

What settings can I change to get some better exposure on the ground at dusk? If anything. Thanks!

Here's the footage.

~Flash
    KE0AMS

Ok, that's weird. I just watched it again on a different monitor and it looks fine... apparently that other monitor needs replaced.

Still if someone agrees that the ground still looks too dark, I'll still take advice. Thanks!

~Flash
    KE0AMS

Co-Pilot
    There are no settings you can make on the GoPro3 for better night exposure.

What you see is what you get.

Raise your ISO settings to 1600 or 6400 in Protune. Just be sure to change back to 400 default before shooting in daylight or bright conditions.

https://gopro.com/support/articles/a...rols-explained
    Last edited by Beachflyer; 11th September 2015 at 08:55 AM.

Awesome! Thanks Beach!!! I should have known to have gone looking on the GoPro site. Duh.

So for anyone else with a 3+ here are the settings I'm going to try next time I fly at dusk:

White Balance: 3000k
    Color: Color
    ISO Limit: 400 or 1600
    Sharpness: High
    Exposure: 0

~Flash
    KE0AMS

Protune, indeed.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

It's a trade off, as you increase ISO you will lose sharpness.
    You're welcome!

Navigator
    The new GoPro 4 has better low light condition handling than the GoPro 3.
    I was quite surprised when I saw the comparisons....
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. - Albert Einstein

A few things to try. One is to increase exposure compensation in Protune, but just a little because that will improve ground exposure at the expense of overexposing the sky. The other thing that I find useful is to point the camera down a bit, so that the ground contributes more to the total exposure than the bright sky. I have a GoPro 4 Silver- it does handle this sort of thing better than the GoPro 3, but it is still an issue. Give exposure compensation and repositioning the camera a try- I bet that you will be pleased with the results.

Hey, there are two problems here:
    - Low light capability of small sensor camera such as GoPro. There is no magic here. With Protune ON, you can limit the ISO to 400 or 1600 but it's already noisy at this point (6400 is dirty). Also, at night time, select the lowest frame rate as possible. 24 fps is best, 30 is ok, 60 is to avoid
    - Exposure: it s hard for the camera to expose on a very contrasty subject. Typically at sunset time, the sky is still bright but the ground is already very dark. If the camera expose on the sky the ground will be dark and if the cam expose on the ground the sky will be "burned out". A way around this is to select the exposure method in the GoPro settings. Try the spot thing and tilt your camera down to have the spot exposure on the ground (or the sky if you want to expose on the bright side).
    Light and timing is everything, check blue hour, this is the 20-40 minutes window right after sunset, the best time to film.

Finally, Protune is not great for low light since the auto gain coupled with the boosted shadows will really look like a lot of noise in pure dark. However Protune is the only way to get acces to ISO settings (with Protune OFF the GoPro will set ISO6400 which is useless).