www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex + Taranis Taranis X9D plus + X8R

Navigator

Thumbs up Vortex + Taranis Taranis X9D plus + X8R

Hello Guyz !

First of all, please be gentle with my English, this is not my mother tongue!

I just baught an ImmersionRc Vortex and a Taranis X9D Plus with the X8R wich come with it.

My binding process is Ok ( Fixed Green Light) and i have the tension of the X8R displayed on my Taranis.

I plugged the Only Cable that comes out the Vortex to the SBUS port (Am i Correct or should i put it in another one ?)

My problem is that even on CleanFlight AND the Vortex Wizard, it seems that NONE of my sticks are mooving/working.

I am missing something for sure and that's what i ask to you guyz.

Thank you for reading me and if you can bring me a solution i'd be the Happiest Vortex Owner !

Romain from France.

Forum Member
    The problem is that the vortex doesn't support SBUS without modding. The vortex cable you plugged in is for PPM. You need any one of the following:

a) An SBUS to PPM converter,
    b) a PPM receiver (like the frsky D4R-II)
    c) Mod the Vortex to work with SBUS (http://www.immersionrc.com/vortex-fr...-s-bus-hookup/)

Forum Member
    Hi Romain

If you can spare a few extra Francs I would recommend either the X4R or X4R-SB receivers.

FrSky have recently released new firmware for these two receivers that supports CPPM output.

I received my Vortex a few days ago and was in a similar situation to yourself. Then I remembered I had a X4R-SB receiver that I'd ordered in error sometime back. I reflashed the receiver with the new CPPM firmware and it works great on the Vortex.

You will also need the FrSky programming dongle so you can upload the firmware.

When you download the Firmware make sure you download the version specific to your Region.
    I.e. If you have a new receiver and post January 2015 Taranis you'll need to download the Euro firmware.

Once you flash the receiver you will need to bridge the signal pins on channels 2 and 3 with the supplied jumper when you bind the receiver.

Once bound and connected to the Vortex power up the quad and in your FPV monitor/goggles you will be able to go through the initial setup menu following the prompts and then you should be good to go.

Regards

Nidge

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Or buy the Frsky D4r-II works perfect with ppm.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Forum Member
    Hey Nidge

I purchased a vortex the other day and am very new to the hobby so don't understand a great deal of things. I can't seem to get my X4R (flashed with CPPM firmware) working with the vortex. They appear binded but in clean flight the controller sliders don't move at all (using a taranis). I think I binded them correctly and it's plugged into channel 1 on the RX.

One thing is I havent been able to run through the OSD setup like people are suggesting as I don;t yet have my FPV googles.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nidge View Post
    Hi Romain

If you can spare a few extra Francs I would recommend either the X4R or X4R-SB receivers.

FrSky have recently released new firmware for these two receivers that supports CPPM output.

I received my Vortex a few days ago and was in a similar situation to yourself. Then I remembered I had a X4R-SB receiver that I'd ordered in error sometime back. I reflashed the receiver with the new CPPM firmware and it works great on the Vortex.

You will also need the FrSky programming dongle so you can upload the firmware.

When you download the Firmware make sure you download the version specific to your Region.
    I.e. If you have a new receiver and post January 2015 Taranis you'll need to download the Euro firmware.

Once you flash the receiver you will need to bridge the signal pins on channels 2 and 3 with the supplied jumper when you bind the receiver.

Once bound and connected to the Vortex power up the quad and in your FPV monitor/goggles you will be able to go through the initial setup menu following the prompts and then you should be good to go.

Regards

Nidge

Forum Member
    There are a number of things that could be going on but we could try with the basics. Does the X4R show a solid green light when the Taranis is on (meaning it's correctly bound to the X4R)? Did the flashing of the CPPM firmware proceed successfully? Lastly in the cleanflight configurator do you see RX_PPM as the selected input method? If you are not very familiar with cleanflight you might want to find goggles and run the wizard but it doesn't hurt to familiarize yourself with the interface.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	configuration2.png 
Views:	260 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	66787  
    Last edited by vzachari; 4th October 2015 at 10:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Hi Paulospanda.

Once bound the controls will need calibrating and this needs to be done in the Vortex OSD Wizard.

Unfortunately you will need some form of video receiver to go through the Vortex setup Wizard. This process is done to assign the correct channels to the corresponding flight controls and so the flight controller knows the limits.

i know FPV goggles are very expensive ( I have Attitude V2's) but for a cheap system the HobbyKing QuanumV2 headset cannot be beaten for value. You will need to add a receiver to the headset and the Boscam FR632 is perfect as it will cover all the channels that the Vortex video transmitter is active on. The whole system will cost about $100. As I'm in the UK I paid 36 for the headset kit and 35 for the FR632 Diversity receiver.

Regards

Nidge

Forum Member
    Hey Nidge/Vzachari

Sorry, yesterday I was extremely frustrated and missed out a lot of detail. Having accepted my fate I'm a little calmer today. The money isn't the issue so to speak, I'm after some dominator V3's but seems like the UK is all out of stock. I was just pretty excited to get it setup (after dropping ~700) and start fiddling with LOS flight until the goggles arrived.

I guess my question now is, if I setup the receiver correctly (Frsky - X4R) with the controller (Taranis plus) should it perform correctly in clean flight? Or do I have to just wait until I have the goggles to really verify this?

Purchased my gear from Hobby RC who said they would need to flash the receiver to make it work (I have mailed them regarding my problem):-

Controller - http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/frsky-24ghz...-system-mode-2
    Receiver (CPPM+SBUS+2xPWM (EU post 2015) - http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/frsky-x4r-s...iver-with-sbus

I just don't want to wait another 3 weeks and then there's some other problem. I guess a lot of the problem is that I don't know what half the stuff means, I should spend this time looking into a fair bit of it as atonement for my ignorance. I just really believed it would be plug & play

In relation to Vzachari:-

Firmware - This was done by the retailer apparently
    Greenlight on receiver - This is only on once I switch my controller on it flashes red until I turn the Taranis on
    PPM - This is selected in clean flight as default.

Things I don't know if I've done right - The binding, it states I need to use some kind of "Jumper on pins 2+3" when doing it for CPPM output. I can see in other peoples videos they have a little black thing they slip on some of the connectors, but I don't think I have this (I got a little wire I don't know what to do with). What can I use as a jumper, which pins of 2+3 do I put it on and which channel to I plug the Vortex into? I currently have it in what I think is channel 1 (Bottom 3 pins on the LED side of the receiver)

Extremely grateful for you guys even looking at what issues I've had, sorry I'm a little overwhelmed.

Paul

Forum Member
    I just wrote a load of details in response but I'm not sure if it posted properly or not.

I have managed to get the reviver to input commands to clean flight when I switched the vortex to PWM. Only the throttle would work. I Guess this means I haven't binded it correctly, I need the jumper?

Paul

Forum Member
    Hi Paul

The Jumper is only required during the bind process. If your receiver was supplied in the packet there should have been a little jumper with it. If HobbyRc fitted the receiver for you they may have neglected to include the jumper. The jumper is exactly the same as those used on some computer motherboards. If you have a steady hand, or better still another pair of hands as binding a FrSky receiver is fiddley at the best of times, you could use some metal tweezers to short the signal pins on ch2 and ch3 outputs.

Until you have run the OSD wizard Cleanflight will not show valid inputs from the receiver, the levels will probably be sitting around the mid positions with erratic movement either side. Unless someone with more Vortex experience than myself can say otherwise you will need some method of viewing the OSD Wizard setup process to get things going.

Regards

Nidge