Thread: Tracking below elevation of ground station?

Forum Member

Tracking below elevation of ground station?

Hey everyone, I have been reading up on ground-stations and looking at what people use most. One thing I've noticed is that most stations seem to start at level (0deg tilt) and tilt upwards accounting for increased altitude. I have not seen (maybe I've looked in the wrong places) anyone with a ground-station which tilts downwards as well. Where I live (and where I'm looking to fly) it will be best for me to climb to the top of a mountain and fly from up there. Should I not worry about downward tilt? Or will I be able to make a pan/tilt tracker which will track below the elevation of the ground-station.

I'm currently looking at using the ImmersionRC Antenna Tracker

Forum Member
    The immersion has the capability to track down. I have mine set to track down to 20 degrees below the horizon.

Forum Member
    Remember that the antenna radiation pattern has a bunch of angle on all but the highest gain. If there are +/-20 or 30 degrees of elevation beam width you'll have 1000's of feet per mile that you'll be able to track downward even when you antenna is looking at the horizon. Unless you are on a mountain top flying long range below you I suspect you'll be OK even if your tracker doesn't look down. When I get my skylark setup I'll test this. I appears that it will look down based on servo travel.

Forum Member
    Some of that will depend on the dbi level of the patch antenna *AND* the manufacturer - ??
    I had to go look up my specs today as I think I left my fresnel zone today..
    Look for:
    Horizontal Beam Width
    65 degrees
    Vertical Beam Width
    65 degrees

I hope to get up in the wo ods or hills and test this for my own peace and quiet zone!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Good point about taking into consideration the beam width, However I would still like to pan downward at least a little, bamabaxter says he has his set to be able to track downward 20deg or so. Something like that plus the beam width should allow for some good below horizon flying. I depends on the antenna though. What is the typical tolerance 'area/cone' of the more popular antennas: Patch, Yagi, ... (as in within how many degrees must it be pointed in the correct direction)

I'm also trying to determinate which type of antenna to go with. What are the pro's and con's of each type? Is there another thread that already discusses this issue separately?

Skylark tracker tracks down if needed. You don't have to "set" this at all.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    Skylark tracker tracks down if needed. You don't have to "set" this at all.
    You trash talkin' my IRC?

Not at all - but I do have one (IRC) for sale
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter