FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch antennas

Navigator

Question Patch antennas

I am brand new to fpv and could use a little help in designing a system. I am looking to go up to 2-3 miles at the most. I have the Fat Shark Predator set up.
    1. I just got the EagleEyes TM FPV ground Station and the pan tilt antenna tracker system. What other pieces will i need to get to get this to track my plane?
    2. I want to get an OSD PRO but not sure which will be the best for my plane. I was thinking about the OSD Pro Pkg with 150A eLogger/Wire Leads and GPS Is there a reason to or not to get it with 150A versus the 100A unit.
    3. I would like to have a set up that has return to home in case i get into trouble which is a good chance of that happening.
    4. I would like to see my battery usage and what is left so i can come back in time.
    5. something to tell how far away i am and where home is.
    6. I was watching a video here on antennas and think i would like a patch antenna that has 2 out jacks so i get both verticle and horizontal signals but this site only has 1 output jack which only has one direction for signal. Any idea where to get one with 2 outputs?
    7. It also shows a spiral signal antenna, do they have that here?
    Thanks for any help

Welcome to the Lab. You are breaking a cardinal rule of FPV (especially for newcomers) - KEEP IT SIMPLE. Here is what you should do:

8dBi patch
    200mw - 500mw vTx
    vRx
    72mHz radio

Just go fly and get some hours under your belt. You are describing an expensive accident waiting to happen.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Navigator

Good advice

I have a DX8 that i will be using for now and i will get some time on my simple setup for a while. I am lucky i have a few guys that are really into this and they can helpme out. P.S. they shake there head and say the same thing

Kool - the local guys that are telling you to keep it simple are smart. LISTEN TO THEM. The guys that are letting you set your plane up on a Spektrum radio are not. Find a cheap 72mhz or 35mhz radio --- you will thank me later.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Navigator

Specktrum DX8

Why is using a specktrum radio bad for FPV? It works great for LOS. Do you know where to get a dual patch antenna?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic156 View Post
    Why is using a specktrum radio bad for FPV? It works great for LOS. Do you know where to get a dual patch antenna?
    The DX8 was designed to be LOS only. It was not intended to have a noisy VRX onboard shouting in it's ear. It also was not intended for any distance exceeding 1/2 mile.

I have said this a dozen times: Lose the Spektrum or lose your plane.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    I see IBCrazy as one of the "Popes" of FPV, so if he says something you just do. lol

Navigator
    Hey Alex,
    Which would be the best radio to get then? I will want to up to 2-3 miles now but maybe up to 5 miles later on. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago so lots of people and cell towers every where. I don't mind getting a used or new radio if i can use it for just the FPV. I watched all of your videos and learned a lot so thanks for that. There was a video of different types of antennas and how they worked right after yours I have a tracker set up so i was thinking about a circular polarized directional antenna with the Patch flat panel 11Dbi that i just ordered. I know the omni will go all around me but with the tracking unit i think that's covered. I will be getting a quad copter this spring i think there will be less deflecrion than the omni when i'm around trees. Can you take a moment and give me your opinion please.
    Thanks Ray

You're asking questions that have been asked a million times already. You should start reading more:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....u-do-or-not-do

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....TO-FPV-SUCCESS

Navigator
    Thanks, I did read it and learned some really good stuff. However, you have to be rude about it. You could have just as easily said check these links out, they have a lot of information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast