VideoAerialSystems

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently in development - comments appreciated

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar

Currently in development - comments appreciated

Well you guys know me, I can't leave well enough alone. Here I will share all of my latest innovations for you to see. I have a lot of designs coming down the pip. Many of them CP, but some new linearly polarized antennas as well.

-Alex
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 1st April 2011 at 02:39 PM.
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Rotational Power Dome

I came up with this one almost by accident. I was playing with vector shifting and trying to create a coupling array of some sort. The result was more than I expected. This antenna is nowhere near done yet, however the results show that even without vector phasing, the circularity is incredible. The problem is that I have not figured out exactly how to get the radiation pattern the way I want it.

I am considering putting a relfector behind it to drive the signal outward. That should get me about 8 dbic gain. The problem is where to put it? When I have time, I'll figure it out.

This antenna requires a 1/4 wave transformer to get the impedance to match up to 50 Ohms. I'm uncertain what that will be with the reflector.

Attached is the NEC file. I cannot upload the pictures for some reason, but you can see them here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=114

-Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

CP patch

I have been looking into CP patch designs. All I can seem to find are many different variations of trimmed corner designs. These are very similar to the CP patch developed for grid antenna feed as described in the ARRL antenna book (chapter 19). However, none of these designs give you the plate spacing, nor is the circularity very good.

Perhaps with a little experimenting I can make a true CP patch using a dual feed.

In the mean time, I will figure out the spacing of the trimmed corner elliptical patches and post the details when I figure it out

-Alex

high gain CP patch ... please

I can probably modify the power dome for even greater gain than a CP patch. It would be about 2X the size of a typical patch antenna. I need to play with the vectors a bit to get it right. It would also require some fancy designing to get the balun right, but once designed it would be easy to replicate. I am concerned about the efficiency, however. We shall see. A CP patch is fairly easy.

Of course, I *could" design a high gain CP Quad, too... Maybe if you ask nicely... and if I find the time.

-Alex

haha. I always ask nicely but not really a priority for us at the moment, as we're cooking something on our own in the high gain CP direction (more info when things get specific).

for now we will take it a step at a time and play with the 8db CP we have right here and with the two CP antennas that are headed our way from ... *ahem* ... heaven?

Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    high gain CP patch ... please
    lol Your definition of "high gain" seems to be quite different than Alex's.

My definition is quite simple. It's not high gain if it doesn't start with a 2.

Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
    Hehe. I think 10 dBi is high gain to Alex. But you guys have completely different styles of flying. So it's not surprising really.

that's so 20th century