www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having strange behavior in Vortex OSD that coincides with strange flight behavior

Navigator

Having strange behavior in Vortex OSD that coincides with strange flight behavior

UPDATE: This turned out to be a bad receiver. Read on if you care to learn what it may look like if your PPM signal into the Vortex starts going bad or is intermittent.

A few weeks ago I was having an issue where the OSD was sporadically displaying some sort of antenna/signal symbol. It was like an antenna tower with signal lines coming out like your typical wifi symbol. It had numbers with it. I assume it's the RSSI symbol that should only be available when using EzUHF, but I don't have EzUHF, I have a D4R-II. During the time this was occurring the quad would also twitch in weird ways, very pronounced. Later that behavior went away, but I believe not till I went back to 3S.

It happened again today and this time the quad twitched and then fell out of the air (luckily from not very high at all). Today I did note a couple of the numbers it was displaying. I believe it went between 37 and 137, but it varied every time it showed up. I packed up after only a minute or so because it was acting so weird and it was wet in the area I was going to fly.

I believe this has only happened when flying on 4S, never on 3S. However, it's not consistent even when I'm on 4S. I've had days where I run a full set of four 4S batteries without this issue. In fact, to date I've only had two days where it did this. However, the two days when it occurred were completely different. Different locations, temperatures, humidity, altitude, environment, etc. 4S is the only thing I can think of that's consistent to when the problem is there or not.

Unfortunately I have no flight cam DVR. I can provide some examples of the twitching in the mobius video if it helps anything.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

@IRC, as an aside, can you please add a complete illustration of OSD symbols and their description to the manual?
    Last edited by dtubbs; 14th August 2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added some details

Navigator
    Today's behavior

Navigator
    Might have something to do with the giant high voltage transmission tower you're flying next to....... have you flown there before?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    Might have something to do with the giant high voltage transmission tower you're flying next to....... have you flown there before?
    I have not but the last place I experienced this same thing was way out in the woods with nothing electrical for miles.

I'll try going to fly there again tomorrow on 3S after it dries.

I know I've seen others on YouTube flying around and even through power lines. Possibly not as high voltage, but I do know I've seen one guy, with a Vortex specifically, fly right up between and through power lines.
    Last edited by dtubbs; 8th August 2015 at 09:34 PM.

Navigator
    The last time it happened it was strictly twitching and never fell at all. This time it acted very much like the fusion board lost communication with the receiver. Considering I sometimes get no response from the quad after power up, who knows, maybe I have a loose connection somewhere. I will tear into it and see if I can find anything.

However, when I get that weird behavior where it's non-responsive after power up, it always only does it initially but once communication starts it's fine for the rest of the pack. It's done that from day one and I've replaced the receiver once since then. I've had the fusion board out once since I've owned it and when I did I noticed nothing loose. I'll check it over again though.

What I really need to know is if that signal indicator I'm getting in the middle of the OSD is supposed to be RSSI from EzUHF. If it is then I'd have to suspect something else is amiss here.

Navigator
    OK, I just powered it up here in my house on 4S and I'm getting things in the OSD I never had before. I have this across the top:

RSS 100 RSSI 100 * 0 Y 63

That line is flashing and the numbers are changing. The * is really something I cannot read but looks like EAD vertically or something . The Y is really something like an antenna symbol. Additionally I was getting that signal symbol in the middle of the OSD like I've experienced out flying. But I've never noticed that top line before. Honestly there's a chance it was there when I've seen the symbol before and I just didn't notice. I don't pay much attention to the OSD as it is, especially the top portion.

I'm pretty sure that signal symbol mid-screen is in fact an RSSI warning because it would show up whenever the RSSI in the top line dropped low. It was going between zero and 100 while sitting here at my desk moving nothing. But I know that earlier I saw it indicate over 100, 137 I believe.

When I first powered the quad I had my Tx off and the Rx indicated this correctly with the red flashing light. When I turned on the Taranis the Rx went green. At first the quad wouldn't respond to the Tx at all. When it finally did and I armed it it was twitching the motors a lot as the quad sat still on the desk. I then disarmed it and it was not twitching when I re-armed it. I then went into OSD setup and it was sporadically acting like I was making input selections when I was not moving the sticks. I wish I'd thought to turn the Tx off and see if that continued but I didn't.

Then I unplugged the battery and plugged it back in and this time the line across the top was gone. Then I went into OSD setup and then into the about page where it shows the versions and such. I was able to then arm it while it left that screen up (maybe that's intentional but I was a little surprised it armed with that page still up). That screen went away when I moved the right stick.

This session I never saw that signal symbol in the middle of the OSD like I did a minute prior during the previous power cycle and earlier today.

No amount of messing with my Rx wires, the power leads, or moving/shaking the quad seemed to influence any of the behavior through any of this.

I'll do some more tinkering later, the kids need me right now.

I can see I'm going to have to get a DVR soon ;-)
    Last edited by dtubbs; 8th August 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Navigator
    I have OSD firmware 1.0.0.12 and cleanflight 1.9.0.

When I experienced the signal symbol in the middle of the OSD a few weeks ago I was on 1.0.0.5 and I believe the CF version was 1.8.1.

Navigator
    OK, so here we go, some more tinkering.

I once again powered it up on 4S in the house. This time it came up normal at first but after being up thirty seconds or so, and while sitting in the top-level OSD menu, it went back out to the flight display and the RSSI top line was back and I was getting the signal symbol mid-screen again. I armed it and it did the whole twitching of the motors while sitting on the desk again. I had a hard time getting it to respond to inputs at this time but eventually got it back into the OSD menu. There, without me touching sticks it would move around in the menus sporadically. I then powered off my Tx and it continued to do the same.

Time to try it with the Rx unplugged from the PDB.

Navigator
    I now get the RSSI line on 3S power as well. If I put it in the OSD setup menu I get sporadic inputs even if the Tx is off. But I do not seem to get any if I unplug the Rx. That may lead some to immediately blame the Rx, and I'm willing to consider that, but I don't think the Rx can do anything that should cause the OSD to display that RSSI line can it? I will see if I can get an oscilloscope to put on the signal line of out of the Rx.

Navigator
    Well this entire issue has been overcome by events for the moment.

Short story, I just burned up my PDB (and maybe more) trying to troubleshoot this.

Long story:

I had to put new heat-shrink over my power cables not long after getting the Vortex because my props had made contact with them before I realized I needed to strap them down. In doing so I caused one of the power poles to ever so slightly protrude from the front of the connector (one of the things that makes me favor EC3 and EC5 connectors). I had the Vortex apart tonight and wanted to get a meter on the 5V lines going to the Rx to ensure the power was good. In doing so I touched the battery lead to the power wires backwards for just a moment and with that protruding pole it allowed reverse power to be put to the board and it instantly fried something.

I wonder if I'm the first. Do I get a prize if I am? It was definitely a bonehead move.

Anyhow, if anyone knows, I'd like to know if I need just a PDB or will I need the fusion board and/or VTx as well?