Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LRS build advice

Navigator

LRS build advice

I'm an open source fan so I went with OpenLRS. I can see myself ending up with a Dragon, but we'll see.

My 5.8ghz FPV transmitter is
    250mW. That seems underpowered. What is the recomended FPV transmitter? Ideally I'd like a 5.8ghz, but I understand microwaves can't go through much of anything thicker than air.

5.8GHz will out fly 2.4GHZ control. It is all about what antenna you have on your receiver. 2-5 miles is very doable with 5.8. However when you go with LRS control you can then use 1.3 oz 2.4 for video. These 2 will do much better than 5.8.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Navigator
    As Derrick said, you may want to go for 1.3.

From my point of view, the only reason for going for 5.8 is the size of the antenna, the smallest and most confortable to place in small machines, like 250 racers, and the fact that they do not interfere with 2.4, which most people use for rc.

If you are using openlrs and you don't need the small factor of 5.8 antennas, I'd absolutely go for 1.3. The performance of the video link is on another level on 1.3.

I personally use that on all my planes, a hawkeye dtf uhf 1 watt, and 1.3 video on my planes.

The real question is how far you want to ultimately go. For soaring, you'd have less drag with 5.8 antennas, and you can get decently far with directional antennas on the ground.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hey Fellow LRS Flyers !!!

Just found this thread, and may answer some questions I have as I'm fairly new to LRS.

I have a VAS mad mushroom on my 250 Quads and fixed wings. Using Clearview 5/8 Pro for VTX, and have both TBS Crossfire or Dragonlink slim for TX control. How far out can I get with either system ? Don't have RSSI hooked up, so cannot tell signal strength.

I also have these systems set up on my fixed wings and would like to know my "Flyable" range before losing control.

Thanks for your help

Cary

Navigator
    Clearview TX ?

Quad newbie
    To be honest with Crossfire or Dragonlink your limiting factor will be flight time (battery capacity) or 5.8G range, there is a calculator http://www.maxmyrange.com/ that can provide the theoretical range, but typical in a good area with best 5.8 equipment you are probably looking at about 3-5Km range. Most people jump to 2.4, 1.2 Vtx for the 10K+ ranges.
    W7STE

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Clearview TX ?
    me bad...... Clearview 5.8 receiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by steveno View Post
    To be honest with Crossfire or Dragonlink your limiting factor will be flight time (battery capacity) or 5.8G range, there is a calculator http://www.maxmyrange.com/ that can provide the theoretical range, but typical in a good area with best 5.8 equipment you are probably looking at about 3-5Km range. Most people jump to 2.4, 1.2 Vtx for the 10K+ ranges.
    Thanks Steve for the calculator. Gives me something to go by with my set up. Will be looking at 1.2, 2.4 VTX in the future.

Navigator
    Keep in mind that calculator is talking about absolute limits. You can do 4 miles with 2.4 video on rubber duckies, but you'll be flying in a snowstorm and lose video when you bank to turn home. Without a RTB button my comfort zone is about 4 miles with 2.4 video and I'm not going to do proximity further than 2 miles out. I'm using a nice TBS yagi on the RX too. the calculator tells me that's a 10 mile set up.