Page 280 of 489 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,800 of 4881

Thread: TBS CROSSFIRE - Next Generation Long Range R/C System

Navigator
    Just follow the mavlink part within the crossfire manual and you're good to go. Forget the link from pixhawk.org ...
    There's no need for a second GPS ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I cant seem to make any sense of connecting a Pixhawk with GPS to the TBS crossfire - the forums refer to connecting the Crossfire BST port to the I2C port on Pixhawk as per this link:
    https://pixhawk.org/peripherals/telemetry/crossfire
    Is this correct or not?
    The latest Crossfire manual goes on about Mavlink connections but makes absolutely no sense to me and does not explain how to connect the Pixhawk to the Crossfire. I really don't want to have 2 GPS units and multiple OSDs on my plane.
    Alternatively does one still have to connect a TBS blackbox between the Crossfire and the Pixhawk telemetry port
    Please explain what works?
    Jono

Navigator
    Thanks for responding Tschoffy - the Mavlink part in the TBS Crossfire manual reads as follows:
    "Mavlink
    MAVLink is a very lightweight, header-only message marshalling library for air vehicles. Most of the common
    flight controller support MAVLink message format. For specific message documentation please refer here:
    MAVLink Messages
    If you select “MAVLink TX” for output 8, output 7 will automatically change to “MAVLink RX”. There is no
    hardware flow control required as we support software flow control ( RADIO_STATUS message ) on both
    ends.. You can connect it to any telemetry port of a MAVLink compatible FC. The Mavlink baudrate is set to
    57600 baud. The MAVLink TX pin ( output 8 ) needs to be connected to the FC telemetry RX pin and the
    MAVLink RX pin ( output 7 ) need to be connected to the FC telemetry TX pin. The Bluetooth mode on the TX
    will automatically change to MAVLink on the first frame sent down from the receiver if the mode is not set to
    OFF.
    Also if you enable MAVLink for output 8 there will be an option to send RC signals over the MAVLink
    connection. You can find this setting under RX diversity menu called MAVLink PPM. If this setting is enabled
    there is no PPM, SBUS connection required anymore between TBS CROSSFIRE and the FC. Note this Mavlink
    message ( RC_CHANNELS_OVERRIDE ) will only send channel 1 to 8 to the FC even TBS CROSSFIRE is set to 12
    channel."
    I 'm afraid that the above is as clear as mud to me, could I possibly ask for some basic explanation?
    How does the Pixhawk connect to the Crossfire? What is the wiring specifically? BST to 12C or Telemetry or what?
    Is there any setup in Mission Planner required?
    Is a TBS Blackbox required?
    The section above goes on about Mavlink output over RC Channel 7/8 - why would this be required? The purpose is mostly to find a lost plane by seeing the GPS co-ordinates on the TBS Transmitter?

Please explain or kindly point me to where I can get an answer that makes some sense.
    Kind regards
    Jono

Navigator
    Hi,

Did my first flights today using my Crossfire-equipped 550 camera quad over a large "semi-urban" park. Went 2km out, mostly over water, which is a milestone for me.

While the Crossfire (Firmware 1.09) did perform flawlessly, was down to high 30's RSSI/high 80's LQ at 2km. Video (IRC 700mW 2.4/IBCrazy Air Screw) was great but was getting blocked a bit. This is with a diversity Crossfire Rx with tuned antennae/standard Tx antenna, a rubber ducky and a IBCrazy BlueBeam on the Duo. With my Crosshair and BlueBeam I'm confident in solid video, pretty impressed with 2.4 quality.

Have to say I'm so far unimpressed with the long-range capability of the Crossfire in suburban environments given my flights were essentially LOS. However, I love the system as it worked perfectly over three flights. So very happy with the results today and look forward to pushing it further in more hospitable environments and getting my TBS/Crossfire-equipped wing built.

Thanks TBS!

Navigator
    How does the Pixhawk connect to the Crossfire? What is the wiring specifically? BST to 12C or Telemetry or what?
    ==> see pics below, just wire it like this (RX->TX, TX->RX) and forget the BST ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX1.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	71455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX2.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	71456

==> set attributes in MP as shown in the pic below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CXconf.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	71457

==> not necessarily

The section above goes on about Mavlink output over RC Channel 7/8 - why would this be required? The purpose is mostly to find a lost plane by seeing the GPS co-ordinates on the TBS Transmitter?

==> required for Mavlink Rx/Tx (as you do not need the BST port)

Enable Mavlink, configure CH8->TX and CH7->RX in the TX menu ...

That's it, you should be able to see the coordinates on the TX screen if everything else (like GPS) is connected correct to the FC ....

To be considered: This works with firmare 1.20 on TX/RX only which is still available as BETA version, other versions will not provide mavlink support ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thanks for responding Tschoffy - the Mavlink part in the TBS Crossfire manual reads as follows:
    "Mavlink
    MAVLink is a very lightweight, header-only message marshalling library for air vehicles. Most of the common
    flight controller support MAVLink message format. For specific message documentation please refer here:
    MAVLink Messages
    If you select “MAVLink TX” for output 8, output 7 will automatically change to “MAVLink RX”. There is no
    hardware flow control required as we support software flow control ( RADIO_STATUS message ) on both
    ends.. You can connect it to any telemetry port of a MAVLink compatible FC. The Mavlink baudrate is set to
    57600 baud. The MAVLink TX pin ( output 8 ) needs to be connected to the FC telemetry RX pin and the
    MAVLink RX pin ( output 7 ) need to be connected to the FC telemetry TX pin. The Bluetooth mode on the TX
    will automatically change to MAVLink on the first frame sent down from the receiver if the mode is not set to
    OFF.
    Also if you enable MAVLink for output 8 there will be an option to send RC signals over the MAVLink
    connection. You can find this setting under RX diversity menu called MAVLink PPM. If this setting is enabled
    there is no PPM, SBUS connection required anymore between TBS CROSSFIRE and the FC. Note this Mavlink
    message ( RC_CHANNELS_OVERRIDE ) will only send channel 1 to 8 to the FC even TBS CROSSFIRE is set to 12
    channel."
    I 'm afraid that the above is as clear as mud to me, could I possibly ask for some basic explanation?

Please explain or kindly point me to where I can get an answer that makes some sense.
    Kind regards
    Jono

Navigator
    Thanks Tschoffy, the wiring you show is to a Pixhack, not a Pixhawk. How do I connect a Pixhawk?
    There is no Rx/Tx slot on the Pixhawk as far as I am aware.
    CH8 is required to control the Pixhawk flight modes and therefore cant be configured to receive Mavlink data as far as I am aware?

Navigator
    You need to connect the cable to a telemetry port.
    This may be labelled "Telemetry1", "Telemetry2", "Radio", something like that.
    The ports are the same. I also use a Pixkawk, not a Pixhack. (However I don't know if I use Telem1 or Telem2 yet)

Regarding Ch8: You only configure the Output-Pins 7 and 8 to act as a Mavlink Modem.
    All channel values are transmitted through that Mavlink Connection, so the actual Channel 8 is unaffected. You also don't need a PPM cable or any other connection between FC and Rx any more, just that Mavlink-Telemetry cable.
    Last edited by dmpriso; 30th March 2016 at 09:59 AM.

Navigator
    You can see a pic of the required cable in Pernas Post here

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post772932

Navigator
    Many thanks dmpriso, thats helpful! Will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by prjoe View Post
    Hello all.
    Can the Crossfire be powered by the trainer port of a Futaba 14SG to make the install cleaner without an external battery.

Thanks.
    Yes, this works fine. The Crossfire will go up to 500mW this way. I got a LiFe battery for my 14SG so I can fly all day without an external battery. Helps that that Crossfire stays at 10mW most of the time!!

Hi All, can anyone confirm the power requirement for the Rx, the manual (page 13) says 400mA, seems a bit excessive? Is this due to the internal battery charging circuitry for the backup battery?

I am powering the Rx from the RC port of the Pixhawk (no servos in the Rx, just PPM and BST connections to the Pixhawk), looking at the schematic this should be ok as I think power is taken from the servo rail during flight, however it looks like power is also taken from the internal 5V bus when no servo rail power is present, i.e. under USB power, so the Rx runs during setup and I'm concerned about burning something while configuring things on the bench.

Can anyone confirm with regards to the xF side? Im also waiting for some advise in the px4 forum regarding the max current draw on the RC port.

Thanks!