Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A simple, yet effective Ground Station build in 30 minutes

A simple, yet effective Ground Station build in 30 minutes

Read the new article at fpvmanuals about a diversity ground station build --- that took 30 minutes. Not all builds have to take days to complete -- Tell us what you did (Ground Station or other project) that did not take long, yet provides you an effective solution for FPV.

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2012/03/03...ground-station

EDIT... after feedback I've gotten from Alex and others here, I've improved how I connect the BluBeam... that took another minute
    Last edited by timnilson; 4th March 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Question: Why do you have the skew planar wheel antenna aimed outward, or is it just my perspective? I think you want 1 more 90 degree connector on it to get it upright. Alternatively, you could flip your diversity station upside down and run a jumper to the patch and eliminate the 90 on the skew wheel.

That said, this is a perfect example of a simple yet effective ground station. As shown here, your ground station doesn't need to be that complex.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Navigator
    Very nice! and tiny as well.

I think I found a small typo:
    "The Video TX is also enclosed by two sidewall pieces of plywood (4″ x 1″). We used double sided velcro to attach the Video TX to the base board. Next to the video TX, we doubled up another 4″ x 1″ piece to create a thicker wall and then used some Neoprene tape to create a pressure fit for the FPVJapan DVD — this way, we don’t need any velcro or other attachment method. You simply press the DVR into the channel and it stays put."

I like that you have the high gain and the bluebeam tied in together!

I may have to revisit my recent change - I just added an 8dbi

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Quote Originally Posted by Exyator View Post
    Very nice! and tiny as well.

I think I found a small typo:
    "The Video TX is also enclosed by two sidewall pieces of plywood (4″ x 1″). We used double sided velcro to attach the Video TX to the base board. Next to the video TX, we doubled up another 4″ x 1″ piece to create a thicker wall and then used some Neoprene tape to create a pressure fit for the FPVJapan DVD — this way, we don’t need any velcro or other attachment method. You simply press the DVR into the channel and it stays put."
    Thanks for pointing out my "TX" typo! At least I was consistent I think I fixed all of them.

Navigator
    yea looks good.
    its simple yet effective.
    ill refere to this thread in a few weeks when im ready to build mine.
    thanks guys.

simple is always the way to go.
    nice

I like it !
    If I use this ground station in 5,8ghz video and 2,4ghz in tx rx. How to increase the range in 2,4ghz ?

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Question: Why do you have the skew planar wheel antenna aimed outward, or is it just my perspective? I think you want 1 more 90 degree connector on it to get it upright. Alternatively, you could flip your diversity station upside down and run a jumper to the patch and eliminate the 90 on the skew wheel.

That said, this is a perfect example of a simple yet effective ground station. As shown here, your ground station doesn't need to be that complex.

-Alex
    Alex -- yes, sir, you are as always correct
    I did not want to use any extension cords and one 90 degree connector was all I had. I could try your idea of adding another 90 degree SMA connector. Or, maybe I can bend the whip slightly to make the BluBeam more upright -- you tell me, it's your antenna!

The BluBeam will hopefully still perform ok when my tricopter is in close proximity to the GS -- possibly even behind it... where the patch antenna will have the hardest time to catch any signal.

Tim, the reason to make the SPW upright is because you would be flying in the null of the antenna both infront and behind, where you think it would be picking up the signal when the patch isnt.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast