Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumenier 12 amp ESC w/ SimonK AutoShot (2-4s N-FET)

Lumenier 12 amp ESC w/ SimonK AutoShot (2-4s N-FET)

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have tried these ESCs. I got these from getfpv and they don't seem to function that great. http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-12a-e...-4s-n-fet.html I've been getting slight oscillations from the quad on a 3s and when I use a 4s it is constant uncontrollable oscillations. I'm using the Naze 32/w cleanflight and T-motor 1806 2300kv motors. D4r-ii receiver is connected to Naze via CPPM. Are these just some cheap rebranded escs from HobbyKing or are these actually good? I have not tuned the copter yet and I have no clue where to start. Does anyone have any insight as to where to start tuning this thing and if it would help the oscillations? Is there a specifiy paramater for these types of ESCs or maybe looptime? All the tutorials I've read don't indicate which P, I, or D setting to manipulate first in cleanflight. Let me know if you use these specific ESCs. Thanks

Hello,

I can tell you that these ESCs are very good, and not a simple rebranding. They have customized SimonK firmware and very reliable and efficient hardware on board. I use these very same ESCs in my QAV250 on 4s and fly very aggressively pushing them to their limits at 16-18amps at full throttle. From the sound of things, it is a tuning issue on your flight controller. The oscillations are often due to a setting being too high and overcompensating. I'd suggest lowering the looptime to something like 1800 and see how it flies for you. There are many factors when tuning your quad, and sometimes starting with good settings from another pilot can help get you start.

Check out the description in Charpu's video, he shares his latest PID settings -

Thanks for the advise. You're absolutely right I need to start with good settings from another pilot that has similar components. If you use these on your qav250 very aggressively as you say, what are your PIDs set at? Can you take a screenshot for me in clean flight? What is your looptime, rc rate, rc expo, PID controller, and all that good stuff set to? You say the oscillations are due to too high of a setting but what setting exactly? How are you getting 18amps out of these 12a escs without burning them out?

I am having a similar issue. I wounder if it is loop time, I think mine is still set at the default of 3500. Will change this and test. And yes please share your Cleanflight settings.

Quote Originally Posted by WellCrafted View Post
    Thanks for the advise. You're absolutely right I need to start with good settings from another pilot that has similar components. If you use these on your qav250 very aggressively as you say, what are your PIDs set at? Can you take a screenshot for me in clean flight? What is your looptime, rc rate, rc expo, PID controller, and all that good stuff set to? You say the oscillations are due to too high of a setting but what setting exactly? How are you getting 18amps out of these 12a escs without burning them out?
    The ESCs are capable of a higher amperage for short periods of time (short bursts). I'm not flying around at 100% throttle the whole time, so it gives them a little break. For the PIDs, I think Charpu is running around a 1200 looptime on PID controller 2 and here are his exact numbers https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1gwn0klia...ID2_1.png?dl=0 and rates https://www.dropbox.com/s/n49numimfz...ID2_2.png?dl=0

My personal tune is using PID controller 1 right now on a 1200 looptime.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andy-pid-naze32-qav250.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	64688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andy-pid-receiver-qav250.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	64689
    Last edited by Andy_GetFPV; 22nd July 2015 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_GetFPV View Post
    The ESCs are capable of a higher amperage for short periods of time (short bursts). I'm not flying around at 100% throttle the whole time, so it gives them a little break. For the PIDs, I think Charpu is running around a 1200 looptime on PID controller 2 and here are his exact numbers https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1gwn0klia...ID2_1.png?dl=0 and rates https://www.dropbox.com/s/n49numimfz...ID2_2.png?dl=0

My personal tune is using PID controller 1 right now on a 1200 looptime.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andy-pid-naze32-qav250.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	64688 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andy-pid-receiver-qav250.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	64689
    Thanks a bunch Andy! These will definitely help out. I'm curious what type of motors you are running and why you choose PID controller 1. Is 1200 looptime good for these ESCs? This has me worried now that these ESCs are not limiting the current and could possibly burn out the motors and ESCs. Is there a way to limit the current that goes through these things? I'm worried if I keep on full throttle too long that I might burn something out. Do all ESCs normally apply extra current like these do?

Thanks a bunch Andy! These will definitely help out. I'm curious what type of motors you are running and why you choose PID controller 1. Is 1200 looptime good for these ESCs? This has me worried now that these ESCs are not limiting the current and could possibly burn out the motors and ESCs. Is there a way to limit the current that goes through these things? I'm worried if I keep on full throttle too long that I might burn something out. Do all ESCs normally apply extra current like these do?
    I'm running the Lumenier 2206 2000kv on 5" props. The ESC doesn't push any "extra" current, it will simply push as much as it can, and however much the motor is drawing. In this case my setup on 4s can draw over 12A, but the ESC has a heatsink on it, and can handle a little more than its rating. The 12A rating isn't an absolute limit, but rather a rating, and beyond the rating it is just more likely to fail. Failure most of the time would be due to heat, as the FETS that drive the motors will eventually get too hot and fail, so good cooling can help too. There is no way to limit the ESC, however if you're so worried about it, you can just limit your throttle on your radio to never go to 100%, but I think that'd be unnecessary. Yes 1200 looptime works great. Just go out and fly, you'll be fine

I got rid of most my oscillations. Yes you were right it was the PID tuning. I also adjusted my looptime to 1200 like you said. My question is do you know if this looptime with these escs are ok for all the pid controllers? I saw somewhere that only the luxfloat controller supports the 1200 looptime properly. Is this correct? Also do you know if setting the looptime this high with oneshot enable could cause sync issues? I heard somewhere that setting it too high could cause that problem. Lastly I noticed that you have different P for pitch and roll. How did you get that I thought those two were supposed to be adjusted together. This tuning stuff is too complicated I wish the auto tune worked but it never does.

I got rid of most my oscillations. Yes you were right it was the PID tuning. I also adjusted my looptime to 1200 like you said. My question is do you know if this looptime with these escs are ok for all the pid controllers? I saw somewhere that only the luxfloat controller supports the 1200 looptime properly. Is this correct? Also do you know if setting the looptime this high with oneshot enable could cause sync issues? I heard somewhere that setting it too high could cause that problem. Lastly I noticed that you have different P for pitch and roll. How did you get that I thought those two were supposed to be adjusted together. This tuning stuff is too complicated I wish the auto tune worked but it never does.
    Good to hear that you got your oscillations figured out. I can't speak for the looptime on other controllers, but I know it works well for me on PID 1. I've actually moved down to 1000 on my most recent build and it is also working well.

Yes I have a slightly higher P for pitch compared to roll because the weight distribution of the airframe is more spread out on the pitch compared to the roll. On a X frame where the weight would be distributed practically the same on both axis, then they should be the exact same. On the new QAV210 for instance, it has less weight forward/back so it tunes more like an X where pitch and roll are similar.

Navigator
    Hi, having the same problem. Then I found this post & the problem is maybe 10% better after changing all the settings just like in the photos above.

I built a QAV250 with the old ESC a month or so ago, 1 ESC showed up DOA & it was right when they were changing to the new type (the ones I have now) The only ones I could find were used off eBay. Had to do it to complete that build. It flew better than all my other builds. No special settings, just set it up & bam, worked great. Cant say that for theses new ESC, quite to the contrary, they suck. I like stuff that just works & these don't. Even the old ones, out of 4 1 was DOA. Then I got 4 off eBay used & 2 were fried. So the old ones work if you get good ones until they fry & they will. The new ones are just glitchy poo. Or maybe they are the best ever if you are a programer. I know the difference between cheep no good ESC & nice ones. Cheerwing suck but worked better than these. KISS work correctly. EMax 12a simon (not K) work great for the $.

Flys like a crack head on to much coffee & then when I land there is "chirping" out of the motors until they decide to be quiet. Hope there is a solution as I have another one sitting on the bench with all the same identical parts.