FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fastest ground-base FPV?

Fastest ground-base FPV?

Hey guys,

Glad to have found you. I'm Andy. Been into RC cars for ages and been doing RC car speed record racing for around 4 years so far. What?? Yup. Some people just try to get their RC cars to go as fast as they can. An expensive hobby since, by definition you're pushing the envelope of performance a lot of the time. The faster ya go, the more damage you do if ( and when! ) you hit something. Ho hum. We all have our cross to bear.

The "sport" is currently limited by the range of eyesight and, to some extent, control radio. So! Basically it's more or less drag racing over, say 800 feet, peering at a very fast dot for a short while. The current record is, wait for it....177mph!

So! I figure, I can use FPV to increase my run-up to say 1200 feet. Hence my appearance here.

This year, my car is a 1200 gramme, 1.8KW electric dragster running on 2S with just enough room for a fixed camera plus OSD and transmitter.

I've started shopping - More of that in another post - but I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me and I hope to post some really interesting videos in the coming months. I also have a Traxxas E-Revo I intend to set-up for head-tracking FPV and run that when the weather gets too wet for speed runs.

Good to be here and I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Cheerz!

Rootz

That's just downright sweet!

Long time ago when I first got into RC I wanted to build a gas powered NASCAR to run around the HS track, loved the idea of tweaking with the engine and all.
    Then I thought about the dragsters and that too looked cool..

I know electrics are far faster, even in full scale, but that dragster would be pretty bad with a OS 46 or a Fox Q500 engine LOL whew...
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Thanks for the comment Scott. Yup, the nitro dragsters are very cool but I gave up nitro a few years ago and can't really see myself going back. Electric is just too clean and reliable. And I just don't have the patience! LOL

RC drag racing is more or less dead here in the UK, unfortunately. Might be something to do with our weather and lack of straight roads.

Cheerz!

Rootz

Welcome to the Lab ---
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Awesome thread, look forward to following your progress...

Do the guys that do this using heading lock gyros to keep the thing straight?
    Last edited by Hucker; 1st March 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Hammer and Visegrips schnellschnell's Avatar
    Very cool stuff. Love to see how this progresses. Have any good video / pics of your cars?

j

Sounds awesome.

Seriously...... holy god damn awesome!!!!! I will be more then happy to help you on the right track to set up your rig. PM me any questions you may have.
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

FPV is definitely the tool you need to push it over 200mph! Keep us posted!

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Let me try to answer your questions...

OK. Motor and batteries. I'm using a selection of 540-size ( 36x50mm ) sensored motors from Novak, Corally and Tekin, among others, ranging from 2.0 turn to 3.5 turn. The Corally is the real powerhouse ( 1.8KW ) but I'm told it's prone to the rotor slipping on the shaft under hard acceleration. The batteries are twin MaxAmps 5450mAh true 120C cells. Well, they say "True 120C". I'm not so sure but they sure are powerful.

Headlock gyro's. Yup. Some people do use them. I've never got on very well with them myself as I've never had a good (Futaba ) one. I had a cheap one but it didn't exactly inspire confidence. When the car was stationary, the wheels were hunting around from right to left. Rather worrying!

Tony Lovering uses one on his hybrid rocket dragster. In fact, you can see it kicking in just as the power hits at around 0.55 here....

More pics? Well, sure! :-)

There are a few pics on my photobucket. Feel free to sniff around.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...rx%20dragster/

Video's a plenty on my youtube channel..

http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSpeedChampionship?

Thanks for the offer of advice, airbagit13. Right now, I'm eagerly waiting for my goggles - these ones..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12175

The main question I have right now is if anyone knows whether it's just the goggles in the box or the whole kit as shown in the manual. Guess I'll find out in a few days but if anyone knows...

Off testing on Sunday so I'll try to post some on-board recorded videos. Won't be very fast as I'm just shaking down at the moment but might be fun anyway.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Cheerz!

Rootz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast