FPVLAB

Thread: Skyzone 3D transmitter - mystery interference or defective transmitter? You decide.

Navigator

Skyzone 3D transmitter - mystery interference or defective transmitter? You decide.

I bought the Skyzone 3D goggles that come with a stereo camera and transmitter and I'm having a devil of a time trying to get rid of some interference on one channel.

I have tried everything I can think of to eliminate this, but it won't stop. I have tried:

• rubber ducky antennas (just because)
    • rhcp and lhcp antennas (skew planar + cloverleaf, in every combination)
    • lhcp helical antenna (on the ground of course)
    • Patch antenna (also on the ground)
    • tried many different custom channels and bands
    • switching the left and right channels. That is, I found a 'good' clean channel on the left side and then swapped left and right. The right channel still has the interference, so it can't be the channel.
    • tried removing the camera and transmitter and mounting it on a board, away from the quad. Standalone.
    • tried with DVR recording and not recording. (built-in to goggles)
    • tried another receiver and goggles. The other goggles show the same interference.
    • swapped left and right channels on the camera cable so that the left camera output connected to the right transmitter input.

I cannot think of anything else to try. It always follows the "right" channel. It's not the goggles.

These are 600mw dual transmitters. I have a home-build Flip FPV pro frame, Pixhawk FC, minimOSD (tried with and without), 4S 4000mah, LC filter and 12V regulator on the video power, 4-in-1 ESC, GPS, some shielding between ESC and video. My previous video setup on the same bird, Sony 600TVL PZ0420, with TS5823 vid tx had none of this problem at all.

At very close range the interference is gone or barely there. But even 10 ft away, it shows up. The frustrating thing, is that it does vary from channel to channel, and seemingly by location, but it is always there to some degree. The left channel shows only faint glimmers of it from time to time. If I use that channel only (not stereo aka 3D), I get a great signal out to about 1200 ft which is as far as I can go where I have been flying. I am in a suburban area, or maybe I would call it "urban sprawl."

Can anyone tell what causes this?

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Navigator
    Does anyone have a suggestion? I keep thinking I missed something. What does this look like?

Navigator
    Hi Jim, sorry if it seems a silly question - but have you contacted the manufacturer ? - I think they are being 'ambitious' to say the least.
    I haven't found anything good to report on Google re this product.

Navigator
    Ive seen that interference caused by some types of cheap 2.4 rc tranmitters - turnigy and hobbyking ones specifically.
    land somewhere in the distance when you have interference and switch your rc transmitter off and see if it goes away
    Probably also relates to all the wifi in your area...
    Last edited by Optical; 29th June 2015 at 03:51 PM.

Navigator
    I finally concluded that the transmitter is defective. I tested it with no other radios on - no transmitter, no telemetry, just the video. The last nail in the coffin was going out to the ranch in West Texas where there are no other radios around.

Navigator
    G'day guys,

New to FPV... Just bought the Skyzone 3D FPV V3 "Special edition" what ever that means - probably because the goggles are "white"....

I am looking to get the better antennas and ditching the whip type that come with the set. I understand that circular polarized are best - either RHCP or LHCP (3 lobe for TX and 4 lobe for RX). From what I have read, I need to stick with the same for the receiver and the transmitter - ie both RHCP or both LHCP.

But, I just need to check something - Being a 3D FPV system, there are 2 TX antennas and 2 RX antennas. Should I stick to RHCP (or LHCP) for the 4 antenna or should I get 2 RHCP and 2 LHCP?

I am a complete dummy when it comes to antenna and know nothing about how the 3D signal is transmitted - Just thought that all 4 of the same might cause problems. Is the 3D FPV system similar to 2 separate transmitters and receivers? in which case 2 LHCP and 2 RHCP might be better???

Appreciate any advice you may have,

Thanks,

Jim

Navigator
    Either will work but you will probably see better range with RHCP on one side and LHCP on the other.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Optical View Post
    Either will work but you will probably see better range with RHCP on one side and LHCP on the other.
    G'day "Optical",

Thanks for your advice... Can you recommend a supplier of the RHCP and LHCP's?

Jim

Navigator

Same problem here

Quote Originally Posted by cioffij View Post
    I finally concluded that the transmitter is defective. I tested it with no other radios on - no transmitter, no telemetry, just the video. The last nail in the coffin was going out to the ranch in West Texas where there are no other radios around.
    So what did you do finally ?
    I have exactly the same problem with my Skyzone FPV SK02 White goggles. Same pattern of interference.
    Could it be due to camera power source which should be going through a BEC ?

Best regards
    Rom

Navigator
    Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. Wide black horizontal lines run through the screen, and I have no clue why. I've been using the goggles without problems for years, but recently they have started showing this issue. Changing the antennas might reduce the issue, but those sames antennas work like a charm when used with Fatshark HD v3 googles.

Did you find out what the problem was? Do you have any workaround or solution?

Thanks in advance,
    Enric