www.immersionrc.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortex yaw - Instructions how to solve

Navigator
    Last edited by Hoverdown3K; 29th July 2015 at 04:19 PM.

Navigator
    Will this fix yaw issues on punch out? I have not tuned mine since purchase the day it came out. On moderate throttle using weak 3 cells (2,800) it will yaw significantly. In a hover it's fine.
    I work 12hr shifts and have not much time to work on it. Love to just toss in a battery and goggles and fly (then go to bed), but the yaw sucks. My vortex really isn't a "drift" issue.
    Last edited by serpa4; 3rd August 2015 at 11:30 AM.
    IRC vortex 285 and 250. FS Dom, Turnigy 9xr transmitter, EzUHF,

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by serpa4 View Post
    On moderate throttle using weak 3 cells (2,800) it will yaw significantly.
    So you are using a 3 cell 2800mah pack? If so, that pack is to heavy for the Vortex, get the recommended 3S 1300mah packs.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by PerceivedShift View Post
    So you are using a 3 cell 2800mah pack? If so, that pack is to heavy for the Vortex, get the recommended 3S 1300mah packs.
    I'm not sure that is the issue (I have no way of testing). Reading suggests for putting around, up to 1800 4 cell is fine if not racing. My battery weighs only 218gr with connectors. Not light by any means, but I have no intentions of racing.
    Even a 1300 4 cell is 150+gr. I'm only over by 50gr on a quad that has an all up rating of 500gr. Sitting at 550 isn't much more. When climbing out at about 3/4 or a tad more, but not WOT, it yaws a lot and i have to fight it.

Navigator
    I'm not sure that is the issue (I have no way of testing). Reading suggests for putting around, up to 1800 4 cell is fine if not racing. My battery weighs only 218gr with connectors. Not light by any means, but I have no intentions of racing.
    Even a 1300 4 cell is 150+gr. I'm only over by 50gr on a quad that has an all up rating of 500gr. Sitting at 550 isn't much more. When climbing out at about 3/4 or a tad more, but not WOT, it yaws a lot and i have to fight it.
    Ok, with that cleared up, yes, you can get away with your current pack, but 50 grams is 10% of the total quad weight, which is significant. A small 100g-120g 3S 1300 will give you the same power, allow the quad to fly better, and increase crash survivability. 100g is a shit ton on a 250, a 3S 1300 comes in under $15, grab a few. Racing or not, a 3S 1300 is better...

With that said

Can you tell us what you have done to trouble shoot your yaw issue? Are all motors level on the quad? Which direction does it tend to yaw on throttle? Details help

Navigator
    I haven't leveled the motors since they are aligned by pins, but the quad does not sit flat. It has never sit flat on a bench even the day I opened the box. I'll fly again tomorrow since it's been awhile and get details on which direction. I have never played with a single pid, so they are stock.

Navigator
    I haven't leveled the motors since they are aligned by pins, but the quad does not sit flat. It has never sit flat on a bench even the day I opened the box. I'll fly again tomorrow since it's been awhile and get details on which direction. I have never played with a single pid, so they are stock.
    When I first started, I took a liking to Bewweb's 3S 5030 tune, it felt locked in and wasn't to aggressive. (I think it was the "easy flyer" profile) Tuning the PIDs can help with yaw issues but will only do so much.

My Vortex used to not sit flat either, thankfully the fix is easy. Grasp the quad at the front and year and exert torsional pressure on it. Of course don't over-do it, you may feel it shift with very little pressure, check to see if it is level. You may need to loosen a few screws along the body to get it to shift into alignment.

The carbon motor guards/mounts are also helpful in seeing if the motor isn't level, if one is a few degrees off you should see it when comparing the mount to the main body of the Vortex. While measuring the scientific way is nice, I can usually tell just by eye-balling each motor.

Also check to make sure all your props are the same size and pitch, shot in the dark but hey. Take the props off and check all motors in Cleanflight, make sure they all spin up together and none lags behind.

Navigator
    Just for information, I had the yaw problem and drifting on other axis too. Using the Taranis so calibrated centre point and end points in the TX,
    Looking at the GUI it is obvious that there is a little drift around the centre 1500 by 1 or 2 Micro sec, I set deadband = 3 to take care of that, rock solid now.

Navigator
    Cameronblick, on the DX9 you can modify the step size of the subtrims on a model-by-model basis. Go into the Function List and then System Setup and then select Trim Setup. The default step is 5, which you can increase or decrease for each of the listed channels. Hope this helps.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    Alright, I spent the better part of my morning diagnosing a yaw issue on a fresh, right out of stock, Vortex using a new radio/receiver. Here's what I found:

1) The motor mounts are all flat and level within tight tolerances, so this is not the root cause.
    2) The accelerometers have been calibrated on a flat and level surface, so this is not the root cause either.
    3) I checked frame alignment and geometry, making sure all feet touch the table when setting the Vortex down, hence the frame is not warped.
    4) I replaced the props with HQ GF filled props that have a more consistent shape out of the wrapper, this did not show improvement.

So, the above rules out anything with the frame or motor mounts not being proper aligned, hence the root cause lays elsewhere.

I subsequently hooked the Vortex up via USB, loaded CleanFlight and looked at the 'Receiver' tab. One thing is clear, if center position is off on the sticks from what's expected the quad will drift. Upon looking at my center positions they were all around 1515us, with my yaw axis being at 1520us. The easiest way to fix this is not by fiddling with the radio's subtrims but by using the CLI.

Attachment 63475

Before you go into the CLI tab, make ABSOLUTELY sure you remove all propellers, as when saving settings in CLI it can spin the motors up at full throttle for a fraction of a second, that's enough to cause serious damage to people and property. Alternatively you can cover the Vortex with a towel to prevent the props from spinning.

The command to enter is 'set mid_rc=1515' (followed by 'enter') in my case, as most of my controls center around that value. Enter 'save' after and the flight controller will save this value and reboot. Now after connecting to CleanFlight again I used the subtrim of the radio on the yaw (rudd) channel to get as close to 1515us as I could, monitoring the value in CleanFlight's receiver tab.

That's it, with the center values being set correctly I no longer experience yaw drift on the Vortex, not when hovering, nor when doing full throttle punch-outs.
    ssassen, you freakin ROCK, this worked Perfect!!!! its so locked on now I can't thank you enough!!!