www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex yaw - Instructions how to solve

Lightbulb Vortex yaw - Instructions how to solve

Alright, I spent the better part of my morning diagnosing a yaw issue on a fresh, right out of stock, Vortex using a new radio/receiver. Here's what I found:

1) The motor mounts are all flat and level within tight tolerances, so this is not the root cause.
    2) The accelerometers have been calibrated on a flat and level surface, so this is not the root cause either.
    3) I checked frame alignment and geometry, making sure all feet touch the table when setting the Vortex down, hence the frame is not warped.
    4) I replaced the props with HQ GF filled props that have a more consistent shape out of the wrapper, this did not show improvement.

So, the above rules out anything with the frame or motor mounts not being proper aligned, hence the root cause lays elsewhere.

I subsequently hooked the Vortex up via USB, loaded CleanFlight and looked at the 'Receiver' tab. One thing is clear, if center position is off on the sticks from what's expected the quad will drift. Upon looking at my center positions they were all around 1515us, with my yaw axis being at 1520us. The easiest way to fix this is not by fiddling with the radio's subtrims but by using the CLI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cf_receiver_tab.jpg 
Views:	2328 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	63475

Before you go into the CLI tab, make ABSOLUTELY sure you remove all propellers, as when saving settings in CLI it can spin the motors up at full throttle for a fraction of a second, that's enough to cause serious damage to people and property. Alternatively you can cover the Vortex with a towel to prevent the props from spinning.

The command to enter is 'set mid_rc=1515' (followed by 'enter') in my case, as most of my controls center around that value. Enter 'save' after and the flight controller will save this value and reboot. Now after connecting to CleanFlight again I used the subtrim of the radio on the yaw (rudd) channel to get as close to 1515us as I could, monitoring the value in CleanFlight's receiver tab.

That's it, with the center values being set correctly I no longer experience yaw drift on the Vortex, not when hovering, nor when doing full throttle punch-outs.
    Last edited by ImmersionRC; 19th June 2015 at 05:15 AM.
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Thanks for the head up, I did mine just now NO drift........ I will check for the punch tomorrow

Setup mine, although correct my if I am wrong, in "set rc_mid=1515" we don't set it to 1515 necessarily, rather we set it to about what all our mid points tend to be. In my case the number was 1503, so that is what I set it as. Yesterday I did all this plus updated the OSD and Cleanflight. Yet to make a test flight atm

a DX9 with a lemonRX will give off center values like what he says. But instead of going to the CLI all i did was change in Cleanflight's configuration tab: "Middle throttle [rc inputs center value]" and that fixed it apparently for me.

Is it ok to do this or not?
    Last edited by JavierBayArea; 23rd June 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Hi All,

I am having trouble with yaw and my vortex. Here's a short video showing that my feet don't sit flat on a perfectly level surface. My quad was like this from when I took delivery of it. How does one fix this? I can't figure out what physical part of the quad is problematic.

Purveyors of FPV goodness ImmersionRC's Avatar
    Simply twist the quad, that's all there is to it, holding one set of arms and rotating the other, obviously don't overdo it, just carefully twist it.
    Purveyors of FPV goodness

Yesterday I did a lot of flying, absolutely no yaw drift, even when I punch the throttle. Rock. Solid.

Currently still running 3S/5030/Ummagawd

Just to add from a code perspective...

#1 is get midrc to match tx as above
    #2 set yaw I to 0, hover and adjust motor angles until yaw drift eliminated as best you can. Then reset yaw I back to what it was before
    #3 can recall if CF supports deadband. If yes then this will help if yaw centering varies.

hope that helps
    *** Still flying up my own arse ***

Okay wondering if I could get some help here - Running the DX9 and Vortex and went into Cleanflight and then Receiver to check my mid and end points.
    before adjustment they were:
    Roll: 1504
    Pitch: 1504
    Yaw: 1509/1510 (Intermittently flashing between the two)

So if I set 1504 as my mid and try and adjust via subtrim any of my channels I start adding in subtrim my problem is that I cannot finetune the figures precisely i.e. (1 click of subtrim = 1509, 2 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 3 clicks of subtrim = 1509. 4 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 5 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 6 clicks of subtrim = 1497) Subtrim does not translate to the value linear.

Hope the above made sense, it is really frustrating me and it is doing this when trying to adjust mid and end points, I went into the System Setup of the DX9 and you can amend the trim in their to effectively change the "strength" or preciseness from 1 - 10, this made no change, nor did using the manual trims.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronblick View Post
    Okay wondering if I could get some help here - Running the DX9 and Vortex and went into Cleanflight and then Receiver to check my mid and end points.
    before adjustment they were:
    Roll: 1504
    Pitch: 1504
    Yaw: 1509/1510 (Intermittently flashing between the two)

So if I set 1504 as my mid and try and adjust via subtrim any of my channels I start adding in subtrim my problem is that I cannot finetune the figures precisely i.e. (1 click of subtrim = 1509, 2 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 3 clicks of subtrim = 1509. 4 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 5 clicks of subtrim = 1509, 6 clicks of subtrim = 1497) Subtrim does not translate to the value linear.

Hope the above made sense, it is really frustrating me and it is doing this when trying to adjust mid and end points, I went into the System Setup of the DX9 and you can amend the trim in their to effectively change the "strength" or preciseness from 1 - 10, this made no change, nor did using the manual trims.
    Can you get your midpoints across channels to match up? That is, if you can get all your channels +-2 of 1509 (or other value) set mid_rc=1509