FPVLAB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: COFPV Ritewing Drak Build Log

COFPV Ritewing Drak Build Log

Chris @ Ritewing has given COFPV the opportunity to fly the pre-production Ritewing Drak. In proper COFPV fashion, she will be bombing mountains and getting put to the ultimate test. This is the most exciting plane to me personally in quite a long time, we'll see if she meets the criteria for a COFPV Seal of Approval.

Stay tuned, parts are still on the way!

Keep in mind when browsing the bill of materials that this plane will be flying at a minimum of 6,000 feet altitude; there is a 20% difference in air volume from sea level at this altitude.

Bill of Materials

Airframe: 61" Drak

Flight Controller: Eagle Tree Vector

Motor: AT3520-5 880KV

ESC: 85A Blue Series

Battery: 2x Zippy 4000mAh 5S

Prop: 11x8 APC Folding

Servos: Hitec HS-645MG

Vtx: 700mW 2.4 or 2.3 (designed to be field changeable)

Receiver(LRS): Rlink 8R-S

Crunching the Numbers

Assuming an AUW of about 6.2 lbs. With headroom to be a bit heavier. Also accounting for field elevation and resulting air pressure. Very happy with the numbers! Well over 1:1 thrust-weight and pitches out at 111mph. Not to mention the efficiency is pretty bomb across the board.

Paint/Lamination

Spread some lightweight spackle to fill in the EPP holes and sanded the plane down. Used some 2x Rustoleum gloss paint to cover the plane.

Last edited by ezikiel12; 22nd June 2015 at 11:27 PM.
    youtube.com/user/ezikiel121212
    COFPV.com

Installing a camera box designed by Derrick and cut by Secretspy711. Thanks guys!!

Figuring out component placement.. Foam blocks installed for separation of batteries.

The motor.. just fits!

VTX installed on the side of the main fuse.

Rlink receiver installed

and the servos

Poking holes to run servo wires into the fuse

Late final install of electronics, horns, wire management, etc..

AND!!

now she's ready to fly!!

Post Maiden Flight Product Review

Let me start by thanking Chris @ Ritewing for the amazing opportunity to fly this work of art. You can tell Chris is really excited about delivering this plane to the masses and has made sure every step of the way that I've been satisfied and helped every step of the way. Ritewing is the real deal folks, don't hesitate to do business with them.

Next, let me make it clear that this review is absolutely not biased in any way. Period. I insisted I pay full price for the plane. I don't want to be pressured to give false information about a product simply because it was given to me for free.

First, taking the kit out of the box I found everything was top notch quality. The wire cutting was clean and precise, and the hardware was all top notch Dubro components. Absolutely no complaints here, he obviously spent many hours making sure I was receiving a kickass product. Everyone reading this will probably be buying the molded production models and won't be worrying about precision wire cutting, but I think it's important that people know these guys know how to professionally hand craft a plane.

As far as the build goes, I would honestly suggest going with every component (motor, prop, esc) that Ritewing recommends. I always design my planes to meet my personal needs which includes the fact I'm flying at a minimum of 6k feet. So I can't guarantee this Drak will be totally reliable at lower altitudes (it probably will) but I'm not going to recommend this setup below my altitude.

Today (6/27/2015) my buddy Daemon and I went out to maiden the plane at our usual mountain bombing location we call "The Usual Spot." Plane leaped from our hands and effortlessly climbed into the sky. No problems with the greater than 1:1 thrust/weight and the fact that forward sweep(ed) wings don't tip stall. Banking into the first turn the first thing running through my mind was "holy shit, this changes everything." Few clicks of left trim, a couple clicks down and she was dialed in, that simple. Flew around a bit and quickly I realized this thing is the Cadillac of FPV planes, it's just how Chris had explained it... "point and shoot!" Being a 6.9 pound plane I didn't have any hopes that it could ever follow a skyhunter like I do with the much lighter Chimera. I thought it's speed envelope would be simply too high. NOPE!! I could get this plane right down to 35mph (ground speed, no wind) and she didn't give a damn. Cruised at a solid 30-35 degree climb up the mountain, behind a skyhunter, pulling ~12A! WHAT!? I could easily get her to cruise at ~7A in level flight which means hour+ flight times won't be an issue if I wanted too (an hour is too long for my brain lol).

Second flight we did a couple runs down the mountain (4 miles out) and it became clear that this plane has set a new standard for mountain bombing. The faster she goes, the better she flies. Clearly this air-frame thrives at speed. Not much more to say, it's a plane that has raised the bar very high and is in a class of its own. With that said, this is not a first plane, inexperienced pilots be warned. I'll leave it at that.

Conclusion: This plane is simply the best all around FPV plane I have ever put my hands on. It's the plane with all the characteristics I've always wanted and Chris nailed it. Do not hesitate to purchase this plane, it's worth every $$

I will update this log with a few videos as I get them done in the coming weeks. Thank you for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by ezikiel12; 8th July 2015 at 11:11 AM.
    COFPV.com

Sub'd. Cant wait to see yours.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Sub'd

oh man!!

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    Didn't know APC made folding props, are they decent quality?.
    Håvard Støre : Sir I humbly bow down to your balsa bashing abilities!!.
    chicken sashimi : my T-Shirts are all 100% guaranteed to get you laid.
    Roberto : you're a legend Kev.
    ssassen : I bow humbly before kev.au's greatness.
    Danub : Sir I humbly bow down to your tree bashing abilities!!.
    MonZon : Damn, Kev you are gooooood!.
    R. Montiel : For sure the limiting factor is the earth curvature

Quote Originally Posted by kev.au View Post
    Didn't know APC made folding props, are they decent quality?.
    First time using them myself. The hub is plastic so we'll see how that holds up. My buddy uses the APC blades with a metal hub, seems to work great.
    COFPV.com

Subbed!

Also curious about the APC folding props. Kinda surprised you chose a folder vs a regular APC.

Quote Originally Posted by serac View Post
    Subbed!

Also curious about the APC folding props. Kinda surprised you chose a folder vs a regular APC.
    I will be testing both.
    COFPV.com

Co-Pilot
    I found apc folding props to not be the best. The graupners and aeronauts are much better. I'd suggest you save yourself money and buy spinners that work with Graupners/aeronauts instead of wasting money on ones that work with apc folding props. There's a reason they are not popular at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast