Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: A Graphics OSD for APM, Pixhawk

Navigator
    No one seems to stock the board any more so I think the project is dead.

I've moved on to ALCEOSD which is excellent. The hardware designer/seller also maintains the software so is under active development. Unfortunately they are currently restocking so it'll be a few weeks before more boards are available.

http://www.satxo.com/shop/index.php?...roller=product

Navigator
    Thank for the update. Thats a shame. I have looked at the alceosd and it appears to be excellent. However, I do have a unused / tested playuavosd. Is it worth using? Did all those big bugs like blank screens ( going on memory) get resolved or should I just move on?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmacky View Post
    This thread seems to have died. IS this OSD still being supported? I hope so as it seem to be the nicest one for the Pixhawk.
    Prior posters are right - this board appears to be no longer being manufactured. Despite the amount of work myself and other 3rd party developers have put into it, none of us ever had any communication with manufacturers, so we know as little as you do.

Now, we do have the schematics and even CAD files, so this isn't insurmountable. But I have to be honest - it would take someone fixing all the significant outstanding bugs to rekindle interest in funding a run of boards. And it's difficult to get excited about fixing all the outstanding bugs when the board is no longer being made. And there things are likely to stop, save some white knight. I only hope that personally I made the board usable for a few people who were completely stuck.

There are other external graphic OSDs like AlceOSD, whose code was in far better shape than PlayUAVs last I checked. But my long-term hope is for full integration (OSD + Flight Controller). iNav is essentially there with the hardware and a nicely-executed configuration utility, but in my opinion the autonomous feature set of iNav is currently inferior to ArduPilot. (Not that I'm down on iNav - it's generally in a good-enough place for most sport FPV flying, and the hardware is definitely cheap enough.)

Best really would be if something like Night Ghost's ArduPilot port (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lot-Revolution) could become part of the main ArduPilot code base. With F7 flight controllers for Betaflight-type flight controllers readily available, we've reached the point where Ardupilot and Betaflight-forks could both be running on the same commodity hardware. But the personalities involved here (Night Ghost vs. Ardupilot team) seem very different, so that one seems like it has long odds of being integrated.

Still, something good will happen soon I figure. Maybe iNav just keeps borrowing code / ideas from Ardupilot until it reaches a practical parity. (Both products have compatible source licenses, so this really is borrowing, and not theft. Compare the autotune features from both flight controllers, and you'll see what I mean.)

Quote Originally Posted by stewpid View Post
    There are other external graphic OSDs like AlceOSD, whose code was in far better shape than PlayUAVs last I checked. But my long-term hope is for full integration (OSD + Flight Controller). iNav is essentially there with the hardware and a nicely-executed configuration utility, but in my opinion the autonomous feature set of iNav is currently inferior to ArduPilot. (Not that I'm down on iNav - it's generally in a good-enough place for most sport FPV flying, and the hardware is definitely cheap enough.)
    Please keep in mind that iNav's OSD is character based and not on par with MWOSD, being a better character based OSD.
    I think AlceOSD is currently the only graphical OSD comparable to PlayUAVOSD, apart from proprietary hardware like vector / pitlab etc.

I just finished my build based on a Radiolink Mini Pix and AlceOSD which you can see in the video below. It's also linked on RCG and I'll link it in the AlceOSD thread as well.
    Hopefully the development picks up again on AlceOSD.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronek View Post
    Please keep in mind that iNav's OSD is character based and not on par with MWOSD, being a better character based OSD.
    I think AlceOSD is currently the only graphical OSD comparable to PlayUAVOSD, apart from proprietary hardware like vector / pitlab etc.

I just finished my build based on a Radiolink Mini Pix and AlceOSD which you can see in the video below. It's also linked on RCG and I'll link it in the AlceOSD thread as well.
    Hopefully the development picks up again on AlceOSD.
    There's also the BrainFPV hardware, which actually shares a common ancestor in code with PlayUAV, although BrainFPV is clearly the most successful descendant. BrainFPV was originally targeting CC3D, but now has iNav / BetaFlight hooks, and looked great when I saw Martin flying a build a few weeks ago. The only knock on it I have is that it is proprietary, single-source hardware, in the form of a custom SPI driver chip that other vendors can't readily copy. But that wouldn't stop me from trying it. I'm glad to see progress, from whichever direction it comes.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by stewpid View Post

Best really would be if something like Night Ghost's ArduPilot port (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lot-Revolution) could become part of the main ArduPilot code base. With F7 flight controllers for Betaflight-type flight controllers readily available, we've reached the point where Ardupilot and Betaflight-forks could both be running on the same commodity hardware. But the personalities involved here (Night Ghost vs. Ardupilot team) seem very different, so that one seems like it has long odds of being integrated.

Still, something good will happen soon I figure. Maybe iNav just keeps borrowing code / ideas from Ardupilot until it reaches a practical parity. (Both products have compatible source licenses, so this really is borrowing, and not theft. Compare the autotune features from both flight controllers, and you'll see what I mean.)
    I appreciate your optimism about the night-ghost firmware - but I don't share it. I spent quite some time with the NG-firmware because I wanted something implemented in which NG was not interested at all. After quite some time I came to a successful end. That's the good part of the story. What I noticed during the programming - this firmware is still made in an old--fashioned way and does not meet standards that are noawadys common. It's simply a waste of time to invest further in badly documented and sloppy programming and also very outdated hardware.

Navigator
    Hi! I collected this an OSD based on the information https://github.com/TobiasBales/PlayuavOSD. But after assembly, careful check of iron, and record of the program for address 8004000, it wasn't launched. Can eat errors in PCB or the program?
    I can collect and program but unfortunately I is weak in the code.
    There is a strong wish to revive this project.

Quote Originally Posted by sarent View Post
    Hi! I collected this an OSD based on the information https://github.com/TobiasBales/PlayuavOSD. But after assembly, careful check of iron, and record of the program for address 8004000, it wasn't launched. Can eat errors in PCB or the program?
    I can collect and program but unfortunately I is weak in the code.
    There is a strong wish to revive this project.
    Did you uploaded any code to board? Do you have anything on video?

Navigator
    Yes, I loaded the code through ST-Link, but OSD is not started, there is even no signal of operation of the built-in loader in STM. The LEDs connected to STM very poorly blink when clicking the button of reset. A problem in PCB or the code, I cannot define it.

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940