www.immersionrc.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Service Bulletins

Instructor Pilot

Vortex Service Bulletins

Bulletin 1:

There is a problem with a number of vortexes which prevents the motors from spinning up.

Background - we appear to have exposed a bug in cleanflight which can kick in when the OSD wizard forces the FC to reset. The symptoms are an otherwise perfectly well behaved quad which just refuses to spin the motors when armed. The error state can also make the tabs in cleanflight configurator inaccessible.

I had hoped the firmware fix would be available yesterday, but the NTSC bug that 1.0.0.5 was supposed to address is proving a tricky beast to completely nail down and has resulted in the firmware being pushed back.

Having spoken to Yann, I wanted this fix out there as soon as possible and we agreed that the firmware should be made public in its current state. To that end, this will fix the firmware related motor spin up bug but will not address the NTSC issue, so keep those cameras on pal setting.

So what do you need to know....

- First go here, click on "firmware/downloads" and download the firmware file.

- Next make sure you have the latest immersionrc tools software (available at above link)

- Follow the instruction manual (pg 33) for how to update the OSD firmware.

- IMPORTANT in order for this fix to work you MUST reset the wizard by holding down the LED board button for a good 8s. From there run through the setup again and your vortex should come to life.

EDIT - if you are still having issues after this update it is likely you are actually having a problem related to end points. Cleanflight wants to see 1000us at low stick, and 2000us on high stick. Procedures will vary according to your tx, but basically you want to adjust your end points until your sticks reach 1000us at the low end and 2000us at the high end. If you can't get exactly that, then go slightly below and over (eg 998us and 2002us for example). Some radios will allow you to see this in the monitor page, but if not then you'll need to go to cleanflight configurator and verify as you adjust.

Bulletin 2:

We have seen a problem where a couple of USB connectors have pulled clean off the traces. The problem has been tracked down to the fact that the USB connector slightly overhangs the PCB at the back, and when pushed tight into the foam packaging this can lever the connector off the board.

What do you need to know? The problem, now identified, has been addressed by adding a tiny bit of material to the lower PCB on all future parts to remove the small overhang. Unfortunately this didn't come up in beta testing as the final packaging wasn't used to send them out, and this only became an issue due to the packaging.

To all current owners, if you are using the foam packaging the vortex came in for storage or transport then please just notch the back part slightly to ensure the USB connector lip isn't being caught as you press it down into its tight fitting home. It shouldn't cause any issues after that.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 20th May 2015 at 11:09 AM.

Heads-up - the link "firmware/downloads" isn't clickable.
    This is a hobby - until you're willing to take the time to read and learn, no amount of money you throw at it will lead to success.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by installerblizz View Post
    Heads-up - the link "firmware/downloads" isn't clickable.
    Just tried it. Link works fine.

Instructor Pilot
    thanks, should work now.

Do you recommend updating to this firmware if we don't have the issue? And does this firmware still have the Boscam bands locked out?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by HFMan View Post
    Do you recommend updating to this firmware if we don't have the issue? And does this firmware still have the Boscam bands locked out?
    I 2nd this question.

I was about to update then decided against it because mine is flying fine thus far. I didn't want to ruin a good thing. :P
    DJI S1000_GH4 / Phantom 4 / Sky Hunter_2.4GHz_TBS Crossfire / Nano Sky Hunter_5.8GHz / IRC Vortex 285 / TBS Vendetta / 5" Alien_KISS.

Yea - doesn't sound like a mandatory update as its still beta? That rite Zee?

Instructor Pilot
    I'd only do the update if you have issues.

zeeflyboy. im asking here because i cant seem to find the new post button. the pro profiles, in order for them to work properly I would have to have the same hardware and props on vortex correct?

Instructor Pilot
    Yeah ideally it should match your setup for best results. Most important probably is cell count (or whether 4S or 3S), followed by prop type.

Of course the pro tunes will like fly okay on somewhat different setups but just might display some unwanted behaviour such as slightly oscillation at high power or speed etc. You can always choose a protune and then tweak it to better suit your exact setup.

Regarding the frequency lock, I don't believe this firmware has any lock applied. I can't actually personally try it though as ironically I'm one of the seemingly few people around here at the moment that doesn't actually have a production vortex!
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 20th May 2015 at 06:01 PM.