Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Xiaomi Yi Out of Focus Problem

Navigator

Lightbulb Fixing Xiaomi Yi Out of Focus Problem

Hi all

It appears to be a common problem – the Xiaomi Yi action camera’s lens has been incorrectly preset in the factory.
    I’m guessing the Chinese assembly workers set the focus on something no further than ~ 50cm within their own workstation space.
    The focus should be set on something much further away.

This is easy to rectify, once you have cracked the case open, which is held together with clips as seen here:

I used a combination of fingernail, two small flat blade screw drivers and a Stanley knife blade to run around the perimeter and lever off the front face.

Be careful not to break the front face when trying to lever it off.
    Don’t you love it when somebody mentions the bloody obvious!

You will find 3/4 of it comes off relatively easy, with the difficult side being on the WiFi button & LED side.

With the front face removed you will discover the lens is glued in position in two or three locations around its perimeter.
    A Stanley knife was used to scrape away the glue.

This image shows how much the lens was rotated by to achieve best focus at infinity:

To set focus I recommend you view it at the highest quality possible, so this means taking the HDMI out and feeding that into a suitable monitor.
    Don’t even think about trying to set it via the low-res version seen on the mobile app.

Also, use the mobile app to turn off the ‘Lens rectification’ if you have it on.
    This feature digitally zooms up the edges to correct for lens distortions.
    It’s easier to see focus tweaks without any pixel manipulation going on.

Once set, use a few small drops of superglue to hold in place, let that dry, and refit front face.

:-)
    Last edited by Jindalee10368; 13th May 2015 at 08:38 AM.

Navigator
    I made a video on hox to fix the 3 most common issues on a Xiaomi Yi: https://youtu.be/fL5ogP8qdTc

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibelgium View Post
    I made a video on hox to fix the 3 most common issues on a Xiaomi Yi: https://youtu.be/fL5ogP8qdTc
    LOL!
    You've removed the thin pop filter and disconnected the 2.4G wifi antrenna.

Navigator
    Good evening. Just purchased a Xiaomi Yi and it has the out of focus problem. The darn Chinese assembly person used cold glue around the entire lens assembly. Won't melt and would take 3 years with an exacto knife. Why are they using so much glue now? A small drop is enough, and that would be easy for me to remove. Now I'm stuck with a camera that's out of focus. Comments appreciated. Rick

Navigator
    Not ideal but you could buy a replacement lens and holder assembly. gearbest has them for a few bucks.
    You have to take the whole camera apart to swap it though, not too hard but pretty fiddly

Buy a runcam 2
    Locals Only Brah.

Navigator
    It's true? Just saw it on facebool group

Xiaomi technology recently released an international version of the Xiaomi Yi action camera: US version and EU version. Both version are available in white and black color. At the same time, Xiaomi will ban APP service of Chinese version in the overseas, which means that if you purchase Yi action camera of Chinese version. It is most likely to be your “toy”. Obviously that Xiaomi is to promote its international version.

Post Link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ??20160331151045.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	71469

Navigator

Xiaomi Yi may not work?

It's that true? Just saw it on facebook group

Xiaomi technology recently released an international version of the Xiaomi Yi action camera: US version and EU version. Both version are available in white and black color. At the same time, Xiaomi will ban APP service of Chinese version in the overseas, which means that if you purchase Yi action camera of Chinese version. It is most likely to be your “toy”. Obviously that Xiaomi is to promote its international version.

Post Link

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ??20160331151045.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	71469

Navigator
    My old chinese Xiaomi Yi that was an early version recently got fried. I bought a new US version in the same color, white to replace it. The new one is an L version and my old was a non L version so I thought I would just swap the len from my old to my new. No go, the lens are different. The US version has treads on the entire shaft and will not screw in far enough to focus. I was really disappointed.

Navigator
    Recently purchased a chinese 22L version, and had to remove the hot glue. Found the instructions here which were great, but it seemed rather dangerous using a knife or soldering iron to remove the hot glue. Used this instead! http://lifehacker.com/5676237/use-ru...early-anything

Apply some rubbing alcohol with a qtip or cotton swab, let it dig into the glue a little bit, then take a knife to easily remove the hot glue in one big piece!

Now wait ~10 minutes (or less) for the rubbing alcohol to dry, and you're done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast