FPVLAB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi from QLD, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaJoker View Post
    So i looked into these, Holy crap that quad has lift, The video shows great response. Also The Flip32, what advantages and or disadvantages does it have compared to the Naze32? Other than price.
    There really isn't too much difference between the Flip/Naze, however, his deluxe version was designed with a minimalist approach. The nearly identical board here:

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/the-flip32-187

And the deluxe version here:

http://www.readytoflyquads.com/the-flip32-deluxe-523

The deluxe version has small connectors and minimal wiring for the compact minis that we're building, but it might add a little to the build time, since you'll have to solder your ESC wires to the supplied connecter/cable bundle (you'll see what I mean in the pictures on his site). It also has a dedicated plug for a satellite receiver so you don't have to use one of the RC input headers like you do on the regular flip/naze. As well, it comes with a buzzer preinstalled (if you go with that option at the bottom of the page). It looks like he's just simplifying the way it connects to everything so you don't have a lot of cables going everywhere.

Being your first build, and since you're using individual ESCs (as opposed to the 4-in-1 the deluxe was designed to use), you may find it easier to go with the Flip32+ I linked first. You'll have to be the judge after looking at the design of each board.

From a firmware/flying point of view, they're identical to the Naze32+ boards. Also, I recommend the + version, you have the option of using the built in barometer and and magnetometer if you choose down the road (most just fly in acro/rate or horizon/angle mode, where you don't need the mag/baro--but you can use them to help with altitude hold and heading hold). I have the + version, but I'm not utilizing the mag/baro yet either. I figured I'd have it for later.

You can also grab a GPS board to add later on and setup RTH if you so desire. Not really necessary for mini racers, though, since you're probably not going to be taking it that far out.
    Last edited by SiMuL; 20th May 2015 at 09:13 AM.

I am a minimalist person. I like the idea of having a beeper on board and will want to play with the baro and mag for sure. I want my build to by like anything i do, clean and not messy. Ill try to cable manage the crap out of it.
    Last edited by Swarm; 20th May 2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Brevity
    Follow my journey - https://www.instagram.com/swarm_fpv/

My First Quad - http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?45598-My-First-Quad

Ah, great deal then, the deluxe version might be just what you want. Check out the pics he has on the product page to see how nicely it plugs into all of the other electronics you'll need. Very well thought out.

I heard that these little boards, specifically the naze, do not have the memory to handle everything plus GPS even though baseflight/ cleanflight support it and even Naze claims it supports it. Is this true?
    Follow my journey - https://www.instagram.com/swarm_fpv/

My First Quad - http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?45598-My-First-Quad

I personally haven't heard or read this anywhere, but I haven't done any research on setting up GPS. Do you have any links where this is being discussed? The memory on the chipset will be limited to what it was manufactured with, however, the code can be cleaned up to reduce the number of lines, thus opening up room for more code. That will be all on the developer, though. I know CleanFlight is much 'cleaner' and updated code than BaseFlight, so I would imagine if the dev adds routines for GPS, it should work better than it did on BaseFlight. Granted, not as many people are using GPS on it, so support for that will be less than the support for the other modules.

Even if memory is too limited for proper GPS functions, that's not going to stop me from using the naze/flip boards. They are by far the best flight controllers I've flown, in terms of acro/rate flight modes.

Thanks for the answer. I cant find the link dammit, i searched my history but to be honest I've been looking up so much quad related info lately. I have another question though, Do all the combined components on a quad impact both antennas ability to send or receive signal by way of EMI and if so can we use shielding tape to negate the effects?

Check this out also: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post692625
    Last edited by Swarm; 22nd May 2015 at 03:20 AM.

As for the EMI issues, I don't really know, but from my own experience (and from all the research I've done so far) I don't believe it will be a problem, especially since these minis are not designed for long range flights. Of course, if you can shield everything and keep it clean, by all means, go for it! I'm sure it will help some. I haven't done any shielding and I haven't had any problems (hell, I didn't even twist any of the wires.. lol). I think it's more important to keep as much distance as possible between your vTx and radio Rx, though my satellite Rx is right under my vTx antenna and I haven't had any issues.. lol I haven't flown much further than 1000' out, if that, though.

I just looked through that link you sent and I'm impressed! Glad they're working on the SimonK firmware again! Now that it supports OneShot (AutoShot), I imagine it will be no different than using BLheli. My only concern would be that they're only 12amp and you're going with larger motors. They do handle 22amps for 10 seconds tho, so that may not be a problem.

Granted, I know some guys that use the 18amp KISS ESCs and the larger motor/prop combos complain about burning up their ESCs and are eagerly awaiting the 30amp KISS ESCs. I guess it all depends on what type of flying you plan on doing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123