Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sun Burned my Dom HD Screens. What can I do?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Hmmm... wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of automatic shutter that closed when the goggles were removed from your head. Could save some folk a *lot* of money and be a great selling feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalikraven View Post
    I used some Night vision rifle scopes that had a rubber eyecup that only opened when your face was pushed against it.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. When I go get a physical, and they check my eyes, the eye test machine doesn't allow you to see anything until you press your head against the viewer. It would be cool to have a way to protect the lcd screens when you set the goggles down. I'm sure cost and weight are a concern, but just a thought.

Navigator
    I'm not sure.. all I know is it's under 400ft

Sunlight+1 sec=damage

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Hmmm... wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of automatic shutter that closed when the goggles were removed from your head. Could save some folk a *lot* of money and be a great selling feature.
    Seeing as it only takes a matter of seconds that's not a bad idea. You certainly don't want to do what this guy did and let someone have a "look" at them outside on a sunny day. But thanks to this guy's mistake I'll remember to face the Sun when putting them on.

I think a visual warning sticker showing the exceptionally short time required to damage them should have been one of the stickers that come with the goggles if not printed right on them stating: Sunlight+1 sec=damage. I figured a few seconds would go unnoticed but this shows an unusual amount of care is needed in order to avoid damage. But good to know it can be fixed. Just hope Fat Shark keeps a good supply on hand and keeps making the HD's for the lucky people with good eyes they fit.

Navigator
    I think there was a flyer or sticker coming with mine. Why is this 'exceptionally short'? Can others do longer? Don't think so. Well, I know from experience with my old goggles that it doesn't take long. Goggles should stay on your forehead, period. It keeps the sun out and the lenses warm so they don't fog up.

Navigator
    I'm not sure.. all I know is it's under 400ft
    Quote Originally Posted by crashsalot View Post
    I think there was a flyer or sticker coming with mine. Why is this 'exceptionally short'? Can others do longer? Don't think so. Well, I know from experience with my old goggles that it doesn't take long. Goggles should stay on your forehead, period. It keeps the sun out and the lenses warm so they don't fog up.
    "Can others do longer"... that's not the point here but yes because the DOM HD optics are much higher quality glass and higher FOV magnification but my comment did not exclude other FPV goggles. As you stated "from experience" it didn't take long and most people don't realize how short a period of time measured in seconds it takes to damage a par of FPV goggles. I was saying the specs of the time period and relative conditions should be included with the warning. The paper sticker was on the plastic box wrapper most people throw away. I cut mine out and taped it inside the goggle case... but I had no idea one or two seconds was all it took to damage them. A moment measured in seconds of not paying close enough attention when they are not on your forehead is an exceptionally short period of time especially when it involves damaging a $500> investment. They could fall off your head and be damaged before you have time to pick them up. You cannot safely hand these to someone unaware of what they are to hold for you opening a car door or getting a drink. That's why it's exceptionally short. I wasn't comparing the DOM HD to other goggles, I was comparing them to time.

This is why I hand spectators the $30 HK goggles.
    NEFPV^

Navigator
    Would it be possible to cover the diopter lenses with a one-way-mirror-foil, so that you see the picture from the lcd but every light coming from outside into the googles is blocked? Or am I missing something?
    Last edited by ANewOne; 2nd May 2015 at 08:32 AM.

Navigator
    I think that may mess with the precision of the lens, but it's worth a shot.