VideoAerialSystems

Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Banshee (Specter Mini) Build & Info

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    This will be available in ~2 weeks. I am cutting another round of frames right now. I wanted to make a few modifications to the airplane before I released it including a larger equipment bay. I am finding a 2200 3S battery needs to go all the way in the front of the chamber to get this to balance right. I want people with smaller packs and those wanting to incorporate a rudder to have some extra room to move the CG around a bit.

That said, this plane should take a serious pounding. I designed it with durability in mind. It is actually designed to race. You can get speeds around 100mph with this airplane with the proper motor. It will handle it. Unlike the Specter 48", this thing is really fast.

This is my airplane. It still needs a camera, but everything else is there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banshee 1.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	434.8 KB 
ID:	61527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banshee port.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	506.3 KB 
ID:	61526Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banshee front.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	61525

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    This will be available in ~2 weeks. I am cutting another round of frames right now. I wanted to make a few modifications to the airplane before I released it including a larger equipment bay. I am finding a 2200 3S battery needs to go all the way in the front of the chamber to get this to balance right. I want people with smaller packs and those wanting to incorporate a rudder to have some extra room to move the CG around a bit.

That said, this plane should take a serious pounding. I designed it with durability in mind. It is actually designed to race. You can get speeds around 100mph with this airplane with the proper motor. It will handle it. Unlike the Specter 48", this thing is really fast.

This is my airplane. It still needs a camera, but everything else is there.

-Alex
    Looks Great, can't wait to complete my build.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

100mph!? Iiintredasting...
    Any recommended motor for something like that? 3S 2200 is also nice since it's a pretty standard battery that i have a few of lying around. What do you think the speed envelope and flight times would be with such a setup?

Really looking forward to see some onboard footage from this plane.
    Last edited by Jeppe; 28th April 2015 at 01:38 PM.

Specter Mini Build & Info

Little bit more progress today.

Last edited by gobigdale; 28th April 2015 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
    100mph!? Iiintredasting...
    Any recommended motor for something like that? 3S 2200 is also nice since it's a pretty standard battery that i have a few of lying around. What do you think the speed envelope and flight times would be with such a setup?

Really looking forward to see some onboard footage from this plane.
    Anything in the 2200kV range swinging a 7X5 APC prop will hit speeds near 90mph. 2500kV and an APC 6X5.5 will also get you there.... perhaps break the 100mph mark.

You might consider using a 3000 3S Lipo if you want to run at those speeds. The added weight will help offset the extra motor. However, your flight time won't be all that great at those speeds. 6 minutes at most.

I expect mine to fly 15-20 minutes depending on how much throttle I use on my 2200 3S.

-Alex

My motor/prop combo should produce 24oz of thrust at 18amps. It looks like I am going to end up with an AUW of 27oz based on my measurements so far. This should be fun! So far I am loving this build. It seems to be going a little bit faster than my others although I have to take a break for nearly a week because I am headed out of town.

This is what I am putting in my personal airplane:

Motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma60-2210-1650kv.html
    Servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_14sec.html
    Video transmitter: http://www.sierrarc.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=399
    APC 7X5 prop with a 30 Amp ESC

The motor is pretty generic. Any 1600-2000kV 2210 motor will do. It doesn't need much motor. 200 Watts is plenty. I flew StoneBlue's on only 40 Watts.

-Alex
    That's awesome Alex, thanks for sharing. I actually have all of those parts on hand, and it was exactly what I'm planning on building with, once I get my kit from Bender.

3S battery. 1800-2200? Smaller, larger?

I run 2200-2600 3S on my V1 Specter, and 3300-4200mAh on my Wraith. Both of them fly better with the lighter battery, particularly the V1 Specter. The Wraith is a torquey rocket - it pulls right out of my hand. I actually launch at 1/2 throttle while seated. I'm really looking forward to the 36" Specter, but I have a hard time calling it a mini, considering the ~24" version you sent me a year ago. Do'h! Did I say that out loud?
    NEFPV^
    I can't believe this place is real!

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Anything in the 2200kV range swinging a 7X5 APC prop will hit speeds near 90mph. 2500kV and an APC 6X5.5 will also get you there.... perhaps break the 100mph mark.

You might consider using a 3000 3S Lipo if you want to run at those speeds. The added weight will help offset the extra motor. However, your flight time won't be all that great at those speeds. 6 minutes at most.

I expect mine to fly 15-20 minutes depending on how much throttle I use on my 2200 3S.

-Alex
    I have a 3200kv and a 6x4 from my old striker monster... 8 minutes of pure joy
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    I have a 3200kv and a 6x4 from my old striker monster... 8 minutes of pure joy
    Aaaammmmguuaaaddd

This one is actually being called the Banshee. The Specter micro is in the queue for next year. While it is essentially a small Specter, we decided to change the name as it really isn't that much of a mini and it is really fast.

Side note: on my maiden flight today I hit a tree within 2 minutes. No damage, but it took me 20 minutes to find the camera.

-Alex