Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing headlight, your needs?

Forum Member
    I'm not too happy with the EXMOR sensor. Really low frame rate... even during the day. I found it very difficult to run on my Y6 if I was running obstacles. It works ok at night, but it feels disconnected in flight. Kind of like using a GoPro as a flight camera.

What are your settings? I ran the sharpness all the way down to try and pick up some frames but got nothing.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    I never tried the stock settings, I just turned 3D-DNR to manual and lower the value to 2. I do this to all me cams as noise reduction filter cause smearing).

Ive got some 7w CREE Q5 LED modules... I cant get them to display like yours do. The diffusion isnt good enough and I end up with a 'spot light' thats too focused on one spot.
    Camera's dynamic range also play a role in this (How it can display bright to dark range) What optic you're running?

-Hugo

-Hugo

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeOne View Post
    I never tried the stock settings, I just turned 3D-DNR to manual and lower the value to 2. I do this to all me cams as noise reduction filter cause smearing).

Camera's dynamic range also play a role in this (How it can display bright to dark range) What optic you're running?

-Hugo
    I have the 3DDNR turned down to 0. Sharpness also at zero for both center and edge (this is supposed to allow the camera to react faster).

Brightness = 100.
    Contrast: 45.
    Shutter: Auto
    AGC: Auto

My camera did not have a WDR function. I tried changing the 3D DNR and the Sharpness. Neither of them did much for the camera. It feels very disconnected compared to my CCD cameras. Almost like there is a lag. I didn't notice it flying your quad, but I wasn't flying it hard like I do my Y6.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    Watching thread with interest. I kind of left the whole night flying thing alone after I ran into troubles. The problem I encountered was that the cameras (pz0420, starlight) lagged, or you couldn't see enough ahead, to really fly fast. Also a night-setting camera looks weird during the day and I couldn't be bothered to keep switching back and forth. I was supposed to explore how the IR-enabled effio-v handled things but have not had the time. EngineerX has done a bunch of experiments too and is probably much farther along.

Regarding the lights themselves. I had 2x 10W COB LEDs mounted on heatsinks facing forwards. It gives a fairly bright diffuse light but it isn't much good for looking ahead. I think 1x spot and 1x diffuse will handle much better.

Here's an example of my setup in action. It was really lagging and smearing the image across the screen if I flew too fast.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeOne View Post
    -Hugo
    PZ0420 type of cam with standard 2.8 lens OR 4mm low light lens. WDR is on. Let me see if I can find some link video.
    [Flight Box] - Watch, Cry, Subscribe.
    youtube.com/jnacoustic
    [B]
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=dimgray]NE[COLOR=darkorange]FPV[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]^[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I have the 3DDNR turned down to 0. Sharpness also at zero for both center and edge (this is supposed to allow the camera to react faster).

Brightness = 100.
    Contrast: 45.
    Shutter: Auto
    AGC: Auto

My camera did not have a WDR function. I tried changing the 3D DNR and the Sharpness. Neither of them did much for the camera. It feels very disconnected compared to my CCD cameras. Almost like there is a lag. I didn't notice it flying your quad, but I wasn't flying it hard like I do my Y6.

-Alex
    I'll go over them later today.

Here's an example of my setup in action. It was really lagging and smearing the image across the screen if I flew too fast.
    Smearing is cause by noise reduction (2DNR/3DNR) turn that off/low.

-Hugo

Forum Member
    Alex,

Went over the setting:
    3D-DNR manual 3
    Exposure Global
    WB: AWB-temp
    Contrast: gain map

Mine definitely have WDR, could we have different cams?

-Hugo

Forum Member
    Hugo, you don't feel that your camera has a lag? Or at least don't feel that it has annoying lag as Alex is reporting? I suspect you have different cameras, as Alex said something about his camera not having WDR earlier...Anyway, I'm very interested as I know the daylight is fading fast now that it is fall and I really want to fly my Vortex with headlights and sit in the comfort of the house and fly around at night.

This has always been a dream of mine and I've been FPV'ing heavily for 15+ years. The world of quad copters and the awesome antennas from you and Alex have made this a realistic dream! And the Rc repeater option, where I can mount my Dragonlink Tx outside, high on a pole, and sit inside the house and still have rock solid comms to it, and then out to the quad.
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]

Forum Member
    Hugo, you don't feel that your camera has a lag?
    I don't. This is the cam in question:
    http://www.surveilzone.com/800tvl-so...a-dc5v-cc1517f
    Ordered two more after NAFPV and they are the same.

Made new prototype with more up tilt and wider cooling duct.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minilights3.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	66077

-Hugo

Forum Member
    Cool. Thanks for the link. That new prototype looks sweeeeet! Have you thought much about going with a focused beam "spot" pattern to throw light far out for one LED, and then have another LED with a wider angle LED lens for spread? Seems like you could have the best of both worlds by running two LEDS like that...?
    [FONT=Segoe UI]Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":[/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI][/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI]"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

[/FONT]