Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing headlight, your needs?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    I'm not too happy with the EXMOR sensor. Really low frame rate... even during the day. I found it very difficult to run on my Y6 if I was running obstacles. It works ok at night, but it feels disconnected in flight. Kind of like using a GoPro as a flight camera.

What are your settings? I ran the sharpness all the way down to try and pick up some frames but got nothing.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar
    I never tried the stock settings, I just turned 3D-DNR to manual and lower the value to 2. I do this to all me cams as noise reduction filter cause smearing).

Ive got some 7w CREE Q5 LED modules... I cant get them to display like yours do. The diffusion isnt good enough and I end up with a 'spot light' thats too focused on one spot.
    Camera's dynamic range also play a role in this (How it can display bright to dark range) What optic you're running?

-Hugo

-Hugo

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeOne View Post
    I never tried the stock settings, I just turned 3D-DNR to manual and lower the value to 2. I do this to all me cams as noise reduction filter cause smearing).

Camera's dynamic range also play a role in this (How it can display bright to dark range) What optic you're running?

-Hugo
    I have the 3DDNR turned down to 0. Sharpness also at zero for both center and edge (this is supposed to allow the camera to react faster).

Brightness = 100.
    Contrast: 45.
    Shutter: Auto
    AGC: Auto

My camera did not have a WDR function. I tried changing the 3D DNR and the Sharpness. Neither of them did much for the camera. It feels very disconnected compared to my CCD cameras. Almost like there is a lag. I didn't notice it flying your quad, but I wasn't flying it hard like I do my Y6.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Watching thread with interest. I kind of left the whole night flying thing alone after I ran into troubles. The problem I encountered was that the cameras (pz0420, starlight) lagged, or you couldn't see enough ahead, to really fly fast. Also a night-setting camera looks weird during the day and I couldn't be bothered to keep switching back and forth. I was supposed to explore how the IR-enabled effio-v handled things but have not had the time. EngineerX has done a bunch of experiments too and is probably much farther along.

Regarding the lights themselves. I had 2x 10W COB LEDs mounted on heatsinks facing forwards. It gives a fairly bright diffuse light but it isn't much good for looking ahead. I think 1x spot and 1x diffuse will handle much better.

Here's an example of my setup in action. It was really lagging and smearing the image across the screen if I flew too fast.

[Flight Box]Low Class FPV slowjet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeOne View Post
    -Hugo
    PZ0420 type of cam with standard 2.8 lens OR 4mm low light lens. WDR is on. Let me see if I can find some link video.
    [Flight Box] - Watch, Cry, Subscribe.
    youtube.com/jnacoustic

NEFPV^

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I have the 3DDNR turned down to 0. Sharpness also at zero for both center and edge (this is supposed to allow the camera to react faster).

Brightness = 100.
    Contrast: 45.
    Shutter: Auto
    AGC: Auto

My camera did not have a WDR function. I tried changing the 3D DNR and the Sharpness. Neither of them did much for the camera. It feels very disconnected compared to my CCD cameras. Almost like there is a lag. I didn't notice it flying your quad, but I wasn't flying it hard like I do my Y6.

-Alex
    I'll go over them later today.

Here's an example of my setup in action. It was really lagging and smearing the image across the screen if I flew too fast.
    Smearing is cause by noise reduction (2DNR/3DNR) turn that off/low.

-Hugo

Alex,

Went over the setting:
    3D-DNR manual 3
    Exposure Global
    WB: AWB-temp
    Contrast: gain map

Mine definitely have WDR, could we have different cams?

-Hugo

Pilot
    Hugo, you don't feel that your camera has a lag? Or at least don't feel that it has annoying lag as Alex is reporting? I suspect you have different cameras, as Alex said something about his camera not having WDR earlier...Anyway, I'm very interested as I know the daylight is fading fast now that it is fall and I really want to fly my Vortex with headlights and sit in the comfort of the house and fly around at night.

This has always been a dream of mine and I've been FPV'ing heavily for 15+ years. The world of quad copters and the awesome antennas from you and Alex have made this a realistic dream! And the Rc repeater option, where I can mount my Dragonlink Tx outside, high on a pole, and sit inside the house and still have rock solid comms to it, and then out to the quad.
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."

Hugo, you don't feel that your camera has a lag?
    I don't. This is the cam in question:
    http://www.surveilzone.com/800tvl-so...a-dc5v-cc1517f
    Ordered two more after NAFPV and they are the same.

Made new prototype with more up tilt and wider cooling duct.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minilights3.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	66077

-Hugo

Pilot
    Cool. Thanks for the link. That new prototype looks sweeeeet! Have you thought much about going with a focused beam "spot" pattern to throw light far out for one LED, and then have another LED with a wider angle LED lens for spread? Seems like you could have the best of both worlds by running two LEDS like that...?
    Regarding "some" peoples thoughts about Trappy and the FAA and "the sky is falling":

"Perspective. Time to recognize the root cause and not focus exclusively on a single case."