FPVLAB

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Tek Sumo FPV

Navigator
    If you follow the link below you will find a photo of my FPV Tek Sumo with a labelled equipment layout for ideas, and some videos:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1806

Here are some tips:

Skip the gyros. They're not needed and only spoil the fun.

GPS sensors are sensitive to RF noise, so placement as far away as possible from the camera, VTX, ESC, and motor is a good idea. I placed mine as far away as I could with the length of cable I had.

The same applies to the RC RX - the best place is out on the wing tip opposite the wing with the VTX.

The VTX is relatively heavy so, you can opt to place it half way out on it's wing and the antenna all the way out at the wing tip. That way the VTX and RC TX should balance.

I decided to use 2 1300mah batteries in parallel to get the CG right. It's still slightly tail heavy with them, so moving the motor forward is a good idea. I also placed them further apart and added a CF rod to the nose area otherwise that nose area is too weak.

I reversed the equipment bay so that expensive gadgets are on top, and filled in the original battery bay so that I could place a pan servo there.

I routed GPS and servo cables at right angles to the ESC/motor cables and on opposite sides of the wing surface to avoid interference.

I taped everything up with Pattex Power Tape (all-weather fibre tape). It doesn't stick very well, but it's the best I've found so far.

I used HXT900 servos too, but their nylon gears strip too easily when handling the wing, so I replaced them with MG servos.

Pushrods shouldn't affect your antennas unless they're really close to the active parts.

The DX201 camera is really nice on the Tek Sumo (good image and heavy so good for CG), or else a ground biased camera such as the KX132 (FatShark RCV922).

All in all, I'm happy with it's performance but I can't fly it any time soon because I've sent it to my holiday address.

Thanks for the answer! BTW, I already found that post, I asked you on youtube about your gear =)

Gyros really spoil the fun? How about strong winds? I ditched them, but ordered flight stabilizer board based on KK copter board.

Pushrods shouldn't affect your antennas unless they're really close to the active parts.
    Hmm, few cm away from antenna connector. Is it far enough?

I decided to use 2 1300mah batteries in parallel to get the CG right. It's still slightly tail heavy with them, so moving the motor forward is a good idea. I also placed them further apart and added a CF rod to the nose area otherwise that nose area is too weak.
    My motor is c2830 so it is not really powerful to handle extra weight. Moving motor forward needs to cut extra foam to fit the prop, so I feel that it will make the wing less sturdy. And yes, I have extra CF in the nose area.

I reversed the equipment bay so that expensive gadgets are on top, and filled in the original battery bay so that I could place a pan servo there.
    I'm planning to do the same, but without servo.

I used HXT900 servos too, but their nylon gears strip too easily when handling the wing, so I replaced them with MG servos.
    Did the same =)

The DX201 camera is really nice on the Tek Sumo (good image and heavy so good for CG), or else a ground biased camera such as the KX132 (FatShark RCV922).
    I'm using RCV922 camera

How is your flighttime on 2x3S1300 batteries?

Navigator
    I don't think stabilisation is necessary - I personally like to feel and know what the plane is doing. Besides wings aren't affected much by wind, especially when they're heavy.
    I think that distance is ok for your antenna.
    At the end of my videos you can see the flight summary. They were:
    23:43 minutes with 2170mah consumed for medium distance cruising and 22:33 minutes with 2378mah consumed for low level fun.

I'm not sure if that photo was yours with the VTX at the tip and behind the carbon strip, but that way it's also far behind the CG so placing it in front of the carbon strip would be better if you're using a light camera and no pan servo.
    Last edited by turdsurfer; 2nd May 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Besides wings aren't affected much by wind, especially when they're heavy.
    Then something wrong with my wing =) Unless, I go full throttle - wind affects me really much.

I'm not sure if that photo was yours with the VTX at the tip and behind the carbon strip, but that way it's also far behind the CG so placing it in front of the carbon strip would be better if you're using a light camera and no pan servo.
    Yeah, I've posted 2 versions of placement. First one is exactly as you mentioned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2130.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	9619
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	9618
    But I don't like VTX being on the leading edge - can be crushed easier.

EDIT: I just realized that your motor is 38g and mine is 58g - this is why your placement doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by MonZon; 3rd May 2012 at 03:05 AM. Reason: another idea

Hey guys, thought I'd join in on the discussion since PopWings are the same plane as the tek sumo. Here's my build that I maidened yesterday.

TechOne PopWing

• Turnigy 2826-6 2200kv
    • Proton 30A ESC
    • 3A HW UBEC
    • HXT MG-14 Servos
    • RangeLink UHF RX
    • PZ0420 cam
    • Foxtech 500mW 2.4Ghz VTX (soon to be swapped out for 200mW 1258 vtx from RMRC)
    • Skylark Tiny III OSD
    • ReadyMadeRC 2200mAh 3s 35C battery

Last edited by h0tr0d; 4th May 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Finally I did it! Heavy chinese GPS was the key to balance the plane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2222.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	9910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2221.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	9911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2220.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	9912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	9913  

you can't change the physics ...
    this plane can do what it can do not more.
    there are bigger wings ( maxi / Zphyre / ... )

i was in your place with swift II when i started FPV ... then i went for ms maxi.

this is a flying shelve.
    it can handle single 4/4000 batt or dual 3/2200 without any problem, staying 45 minutes in the air 140 cm from side to side and no problem putting the vtx and rclink rx in the sides ...

i also fly a falcon fpv wing .. for fast crazy ( and short ) fun.

you can see videos of all of my planes and wings at: http://www.youtube.com/user/guy1972?feature=guide

Navigator
    I had a Popwing but sold it. It seemed really pitch sensitive, but it would glide in for landings really well. My Swift uses a pod between the two wings to house the equipment. GPS on one wing, VTx and CP antenna embedded in the wing on the other side. The Popwing is cheap enough that trying it with a pod would be easy.

^^Sounds like either your cg is a bit too far back or your control throws are too big. A dialed in wing should have very small throws on the elevons, mine only has about 1cm of travel in each direction.

Thows too big? Sounds like you're trying to fly it like a grandma! I like my throws HUGE on this thing...but that's just because I like to fly it like an idiot.

How does it handle rolls and inverted flight with such small throws? Mine glides fairly well, I went a mile from ~1000ft agl with a slight cross-wind. Would probably have been a bit better if I had the brake on, but I never meant for this plane to be a glider.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast