Nitroplanes 900mm Popwing build log

Nitroplanes 900mm Popwing build
    Well to help all those trying to help me I put together this build log
    900mm Popwing
    Goals: Starter FPV plane
    Specs:
    900mm Popwing
    Turnigy 2826-6 2200kva
    7x6 prop 6x4 prop (open to other suggestions)
    FrSky RX either DB-II Plus or D8-II-XP
    Turnigy servos
    xxxxmah Battery
    FPV:
    Mobius HD
    SC2000 Sony board cam
    Boscam 400mW vTX
    HK 3 way video switch

Might add:
    Multiwii on a Arduino Promini
    minmOSD
    Or some other OSD

Will update as I go...
    Last edited by Rusty105; 3rd December 2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Rusty
    [COLOR=#0000ff][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]FPV[/COLOR][COLOR=black]^[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Forum Member
    Anyway, quick update. Wings are glued, motor mount glued, carbon rods installed. I installed the servos on the top, although I think the directions showed them on the bottom. I am trying to avoid trashing the servos with belly landings, however the stiff rods and linkage adjuster at the servo seem to be binding a little, might have to get ball and socket style ends for the servo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1527.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	36176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1528.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	36177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1529.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	36178
    Last edited by Rusty105; 2nd December 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Rusty
    [COLOR=#0000ff][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]NE[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]FPV[/COLOR][COLOR=black]^[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Forum Member
    reserved 2
    Rusty

Forum Member
    Hey Rusty... Looking good. The servos are meant to go on top as you have them.
    youtube.com/user/Appelm1
    NEFPV.com

Forum Member
    for the linkage rod joints, I just ensured the horns were drilled enough. put a little CA glue on the thread and thread the nut just finger tight. free movement. May need to put shallow slice down the elevon hinge to ensure they move freely and are not fighting the servos.

I like your component choices and plane choice!
    another friggin lawn dart. love it

Forum Member
    if you are running a 3S system, then your motor and prop choice is wrong. much too high rpm for that prop. I run a 7x5 but with 1350Kv

check ecalc.ch it says you need more like a 5x3 using that 2200Kv motor and 3S system. Your high revving motor choice will be noisier and less efficient, but perhaps a bit easier to launch with less torque.

I recommend a 3S system so you can power the plane and the FPV off one battery. 2200 battery good place to start as any heavier and the plane gets progressively harder to launch. IN fact as a beginner I recommend you keep the plane light as possible to ease launches and enable slower air speed. You could use a 1300-1800 battery to get it real light.

Mount everything on top of course.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 3rd December 2013 at 10:45 PM.
    another friggin lawn dart. love it

Forum Member
    The prop size is a typo, it should be 6x4. Ill check out ecalc.ch

Thanks
    Rusty

Forum Member
    Sweet I will be watching this one! I have this same plane but I got a 10" blunt section for mine. Still pondering the thought of building one for FPV w/no blunt also! Can never have enough fpv birds! lol

Forum Member
    Have you started the blunt build yet, Tri? If not, I'm about to build a new one with the blunt section displaced forward about 1 1/2" from the LE of the wings. In past builds, I've had to add nose ballast to get the CG right, and the batteries didn't have much foam in front of them for nose-in protection. If this works, I'll let you know! If I like the results, I may modify the airfoil of future blunts to allow for this forward displacement while still mating evenly with the wing cores.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brooks, N7BLD

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFlightMedic View Post
    Have you started the blunt build yet, Tri? If not, I'm about to build a new one with the blunt section displaced forward about 1 1/2" from the LE of the wings. In past builds, I've had to add nose ballast to get the CG right, and the batteries didn't have much foam in front of them for nose-in protection. If this works, I'll let you know! If I like the results, I may modify the airfoil of future blunts to allow for this forward displacement while still mating evenly with the wing cores.

Well you have it finished up yet??? LMAO Keep me posted on what you find out during testing! Will hit ya up when I start building this baby! I showed others the sections you cut for me! you may have a few more to cut soon!