Thread: Skyzone or Dominator V2????

Forum Member

Skyzone or Dominator V2????

On the fence for which one...I was able to put on both at a meeting the other day but only for a second....I noticed the dominators have a slightly wider view and seem to magnify the view?? The edges were blurry also.... Using the same Vtx and turning on the skyzone I noticed the screen is rectangular but seem to be clear....I like the idea of having diversity but I also like having the DVR built in......If they had a DVR on the skyzone I think it would be darn near perfect...Also...It appears I can get a fatshark battery and plug it in the skyzone and place it in the headband...right???? I dont want a cable hanging to a battery in my pocket.

Anyone had both and decided to keep one?

Forum Member
    Dom V2.

Forum Member
    The V02 Skyzone goggles have a built-in DVR.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocso295 View Post
    On the fence for which one...I was able to put on both at a meeting the other day but only for a second....I noticed the dominators have a slightly wider view and seem to magnify the view?? The edges were blurry also.... Using the same Vtx and turning on the skyzone I noticed the screen is rectangular but seem to be clear....I like the idea of having diversity but I also like having the DVR built in......If they had a DVR on the skyzone I think it would be darn near perfect...Also...It appears I can get a fatshark battery and plug it in the skyzone and place it in the headband...right???? I dont want a cable hanging to a battery in my pocket.

Anyone had both and decided to keep one?
    I have used both, but not the latest Skyzone V02, which are thought to represent an improvement in sharpness and color compared to the original Skyzones (which were really great IMO). Here's what you need to think about:

1. Asking this question (which is a reasonable question) on this site will evoke a lot of emotional responses from those who feel that Fatshark is the only vendor who can manufacture good FPV goggles. Try not to fall for that and demand that people be objective about why they favor one over the other. Both FS and Skyzones have strengths and weaknesses, and how much weight you give to each strength and weakness will help you decide between the two.

2. The original Skyzones, just like the latest Skyzones V02, have an 854 x 480 WVGA resolution, which is higher resolution than that used in the Dom V2s (640 x 480), but also results in an aspect ratio (roughly 16:9) that stretches the image slightly in the horizonal compared to the Dom V2 (aspect ratio 4:3). I actually like this effect, which conveys a more immersive feel, despite both goggles having roughly the same FOV in the 30 degree range, although some like the more traditional 4:3 aspect ratio of the Dom V2s. This is a personal preference.

3. The Skyzones have diversity, which at first I thought was a gimmick, but is actually quite useful if you use both a CP antenna and a more focused helical or crosshair antenna.

4. As Bruce points out, the latest Skyzone V02 has built in DVR, just like the Dom V2s.

5. Fatshark has amazing customer service- they are responsive and take care of their customers if problems arise. Skyzones also have good customer service, but it can take longer if you have to ship the goggles back to China, etc. However, good retailers will allow you to swap defective Skyzone goggles for a new pair quite quickly.

6. Just as the Dom V2s and the Dom HDs, the new Skyzone V02's are having some growing pains, as evidenced by some of the comments on RCGroups. In my experience, I have never seen a new product of this sort that didn't have such growing pains- search this site to see the problems that Fatshark went through during the introduction of the V2s and HDs. FS was responsive and corrected these problems, and Skyzone will undoubtedly do the same, but it's probably a good idea to wait just a bit longer before buying the Skyzone V02's in order to sort these out.

7. For me, I don't care much for the 3D aspect of the Skyzone V02 package because I mostly fly high up, but if you like proximity flying, the 3D camera that comes with the Skyzone V02 appears to be great (I haven't tried it, but both Bruce (RCModelReviews) and Paul (BMSWEB) have given nice reviews of this on YouTube, and both are trustworthy people).

8. It's likely that the Skyzones will need to be paired with Boscam type vtxs instead of ImmersionRC vtxs in order to appreciate their full range, although this is not universally observed.

9. Skyzones have built in 5.8Ghz receiver and built-in head tracking, whereas these are extras on the Dom V2s. However, since the 5.8 Ghz receiver is built into the Skyzones, it's not modular and therefore cannot be swapped for other frequencies. I don't care about this since I'm exclusively 5.8 based, but others really do like the flexibility of the modular design of the Doms regarding video receiver frequencies, and I think this is a legitimate point.

10. The Skyzone V02 is a package that comes with the 3D camera and vtx- frankly I wish that they would offer it as a standalone goggle, competitively priced with the DomV2s, in which case it will be an even greater competitor. That said, if you don't have a vtx and fpv camera already, the Skyzone V02 package is a nice startup.

11. The Skyzones are black whereas the Doms are white, which might be a comfort advantage when flying under the hot sun. Since my flights are generally short, no more than 8-9 minutes, I've never really had a problem with black goggles, but others have.

12. Unless you absolutely need to rush out and buy a new set of goggles now, another very attractive and cheaper alternative that will be available sometime in April is the Rangevideo Headplay HDs, which are supposedly very sharp and immersive. I have not used them but am very interested in this. For those that feel that having a box on their head as opposed to goggles detracts from the fashion statement that they wish to make on the field, then they should stick to goggles. I personally don't care and would rather have the best visual experience, and if that comes with a lower price tag, all the better!

I'm sure that I've missed some things for you to consider, but my point is that you need to compare pros and cons, and not be swayed by groupthink. Actually, the very best way for you to make this decision is to try out the new Skyzone V02s, and also try the Rangevideo Headplay HDs, and compare them to the Dom V2s before you make a decision. Trying these things out in person is really key, if you have the luxury of doing so.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    good wright up!
    whichever one you buy, buy from a reputable US supplier! That way, if they are bad, replacement pain is minimized.
    I have the skyzone V1 and love them. I did have a bad head tracker and GETFPV replaced them promptly.
    lots of posts about IRC/FS incompatibility, mine work perfect with all vTx's
    After having diversity, I won't go without it in the future. A mad mushroom and a 5 turn helical is the bomb!
    just remember, when using a high gain antenna, head tracker is non operable as you are using your head as an antenna tracker!
    I've never tried the Doms
    Last edited by gatorb8; 14th March 2015 at 08:19 AM.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the writeup! I think it's great advice for anyone looking for goggles!

Forum Member
    I have the original skyzones since around when they came out. I like them, I have a short adapter from lipo that sits in the strap, and goggles.

Im sick of my external DVR, and big plus for me, if its built in.

The only real issue for me is my IPD I guess, prevents me from getting a clear picture, on the right side, especially the upper and lower corners, cant get it wide enough.

I have thought about getting the V2s, they are spec'd for a wider IPD.

Im also looking at the RV Headplay, looks amazing, just no DVR or even an video out, means that I would have to have a separate VRX, to DVR.

Anyone else have similar IPD issues?, are the V2s, better for clear picture is the IPD spec correct on them? I think the RV headplay would be the best picture for me. The new skyzones have the same IPD, so those are not going to work for me.

Forum Member
    Thank you for the suggestions and ideas....can someone with the V2 skyzones verify the DVR...on the hobbyking site there is no mention of the DVR..on FPV Model it says DVR with video feed...I think I will wait to see the new model rangevideo coming out...just not sure Ill like the idea of the separate box hanging off my belt.....is that a pain to deal with?? If someone is selling a set of the skyzones cheap....PM me if so...
    Last edited by ocso295; 19th March 2015 at 08:11 AM.

Forum Member
    Thank you for the suggestions and ideas....can someone with the V2 skyzones verify the DVR...on the hobbyking site there is no mention of the DVR..on FPV Model it says DVR with video feed...I think I will wait to see the new model rangevideo coming out...just not sure Ill like the idea of the separate box hanging off my belt.....is that a pain to deal with?? If someone is selling a set of the skyzones cheap....PM me if so...
    Having used most of the goggles out there and owning Skyzone V1 and Dominator V2, the Dominator V2's is a much better quality goggle especially with built-in DVR. If you're interested I have the Dominator V2 in stock and TBS 32Ch Receiver for the goggles. They ship out of NY, let me know.

Forum Member
    To my knowledge, the only Skyzones with DVR is the latest V02 model- the 3D version. The prior version did not have a DVR. The new 3D Skyzones are having some growing pains, so would wait a bit if you are interested in those. Once the bugs get worked out, they will probably be great goggles, but time will tell. But if you need a pair of goggles quickly that has a DVR, you can't go wrong with the Dominator V2s- these are available for $374.99 on RMRC, Hobbywireless, Getfpv, etc. Remember to buy the receiver module for those, which is a separate item.