FPVLAB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY Arduino-Based 3-Channel Diversity Controller

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by warcow View Post
    Just finished assembly and flashed the code but I don't get anything on my display except for the backlight. This will be difficult to troubleshoot.
    The display you purchased is indeed different, it seems compatible with KS0108 (which is supported by U8Glib ), however is connected in a different way ( 8 data lines plus some others) instead of the 4 lines of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by johan.jonker View Post
    From what I gather, there is no need for the Arduino to make the diversity to work, and its only there to out put the action to the LCD..
    The arduino controls the 4053 analog switch which switches the video.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx View Post
    The arduino controls the 4053 analog switch which switches the video.
    If the arduino do controll the switching, it could be possible to add some "up" "down" "select" buttons to override the auto switch mode? Incase the RSSI readings are false or you want to test a certain antenna?
    Using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by johan.jonker View Post
    If the arduino do controll the switching, it could be possible to add some "up" "down" "select" buttons to override the auto switch mode? Incase the RSSI readings are false or you want to test a certain antenna?
    Should be pretty basic to do. I mean if you done some arduino programming before.

Quote Originally Posted by warcow View Post
    Just finished assembly and flashed the code but I don't get anything on my display except for the backlight. This will be difficult to troubleshoot.

edit:

I bought this lcd display: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301023889535...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe the c++ constructor is not correct for this one? I have no idea how to get this thing working.
    any update warcow?? you managed to look into it yet.. since I'm eagerly waiting to receiver my parts, it would be most welcome to hear someone managed to duplicate the board..

I've also get some Arduino skilled people willing to help me once I received my parts. so I hope to add some value to this if your not managing to get it working.
    Using Tapatalk

Nice job, really straight forward.
    I have been meaning to do something like this with the small oled mini displays. Such a simple process. As you rightly say, the rssi tap is the most difficult.
    I do prefer op amp buffers myself, but - that all depends on the rssi signal and loading. Nice choice of mux as well, no need for fet relays at composite vid levels - there are some dedicated vid muxes also, but not needed here.
    Nice easy project ! - well done.

Navigator
    Ok, I got it "all" (still need to test actual video switching) working now. Things to pay attention to:

1. This is build for low level (1-2V) RSSI, you can make it work with 0-5V RSSI but you might just connect it directly to the analog pins in stead of using the opamp. I am still using the opamp since it can be used as well for the 0-5V and it allows for some adjustment.
    2. Adjust RSSI high and low in the code to levels you can work with. I made it into 50 low to 980 high or something. Just try it out.
    3. RSSI is reversed meaning low voltage is high RSSI. This can be changed in the code for each channel in this way:
    rssiPct[0] = 100 - ((float)(rawRssi[0] - RSSI_LOW) / (float)(RSSI_HIGH - RSSI_LOW) * 100);
    should be
    rssiPct[0] = ((float)(rawRssi[0] - RSSI_LOW) / (float)(RSSI_HIGH - RSSI_LOW) * 100);
    4. Make sure your screen also allows for SERIAL connection. The screen I ordered only allows for Parallel I think because the second screen I ordered which specifically allows for both serial as parallel works good.

Finally, I used +12V from a sepic converter with LC filter to power everything including the arduino (I used an nano, works without problems, just follow the pinouts from the schematics, if you use the PCB it will not work since the pins are a little different). I also included a voltage divider to another analog pin to measure the voltage of my battery which I use in the ground station. I am now soldering in a buzzer so that i get allerted when voltage is below a value that I choose.

EDIT: Most of the connections of nano arduino are the same but the digital pins that go to the LCD screen are different. You can just solder those pins (D10,11 and 13 if I'm correct) directly to the arduino and connect those to the lcd in stead of the ones on the PCB. Now also got the beeper working. 1 beep = battery < 10.5 V and 2 beeps is battery < 10 V. Helps remind me to charge groundstation battery.
    Last edited by warcow; 1st July 2015 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks for the feedback warcow... I have heard a lot of vRX have the RSSI reversed.. but on the 2 way diversity system you just swap the rssi cables..

I really want the 3rd switch, so I'm really happy it can be changed in the code..
    Using Tapatalk

Navigator
    I finally finished the groundstation. In the end I also added 2 switches. The first sets diversity to auto or manual select channel. The second channel then switches to first or second channel. (I don't need manual switching to third channel)

Attached some pictures and my version of the diversity controller arduino code. I added a resistor divider based volt measurement on analog port 5 and switches on digital ports 6 and 7. A buzzer is attached to digital port 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1430.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	348.2 KB 
ID:	63974   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1426.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	63975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1425.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	343.3 KB 
ID:	63976  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like a much simpler setup? Mind sharing your circuit..
    Using Tapatalk

Navigator
    It's actually exactly the same as the one of the opening post. I used his schematics but I don't have an easy way to etch pcb's so I just make everything on proto board. The bottom of my print has many, many wires. (It's a mess but works)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast