Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Navigator
    Hi Robo, I have a question for you:
    Will you use the balsa canopy on the copter, or it is just a mold for a vacuum formed plastic body?
    Keep up the good work!

you're not going to get the pitch speed needed with larger diameter props. make it super light to reduce the needed diameter, and go for maximum pitch prop.

also i think you squashed the frame the wrong way. make it look like a dragster.

replace the wheels with props
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by ropsz View Post
    Hi Robo, I have a question for you:
    Will you use the balsa canopy on the copter, or it is just a mold for a vacuum formed plastic body?
    Keep up the good work!
    The canopy is just for molding, but I won't be doing it in my vacuum molding box as I don't have right thickness plastic. Instead I'll for from fiberglass and resin.
    Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    you're not going to get the pitch speed needed with larger diameter props. make it super light to reduce the needed diameter, and go for maximum pitch prop.
    I'm aware of that I'll try 4s first as my ESCs on 6s are only capable of ~75% throttle. Just got in the post Gemfan 6x5.5 T-style carbon props to go with 4s. I'll have to chop them to 5.5ish length coz 6" doesn't fit on my frame. I have one motor in the test stand for testing props so I'll test them props first to compare with 5" bullnose ones. I was looking for highest pitch CW/CCW props, but those Gemfans doesn't look they have 5.5 pitch, they look more or less like 6x3s a test will say more...
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

OSUFPV - KF7VFT
    Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    also i think you squashed the frame the wrong way. make it look like a dragster.
    I don't think so. You'd want to pitch moment to be relatively less than the roll so you can pitch forward with more ease to vary your forward thrust.

I was thinking about this problem a little more and if you wanted to cheat you could stack your rotors and throw in some tilting action to keep pitch control. Then your motor to motor distance would be 250mm across only (since motors are stacked). Then you'd have to figure out what additional pitch you'd need to add to the bottom prop of the stacked configuration to get the best performance. Tricky proposition in all. But that's what a min/maxing setup could do.
    Formerly: rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=308733

This is kewl. If anyone needs something 3D printed for this challenge, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

i just stocked up on filament
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    I don't think so. You'd want to pitch moment to be relatively less than the roll so you can pitch forward with more ease to vary your forward thrust.
    I would agree with chatch here. That design will probably be a lot more sensitive in pitch then roll. Think of most flying wings which are much more sensitive in pitch then roll for same throw on the elevons.
    Last edited by boopidoo; 10th March 2015 at 01:32 PM.

OSUFPV - KF7VFT
    Quote Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
    I would agree with chatch here. That design will probably be a lot more sensitive in pitch then roll. Think of most flying wings which are much more sensitive in pitch then roll for same throw on the elevons.
    Me or chatch? Chatch's design is *less* sensitive in pitch than roll. Mine would be the opposite.
    Formerly: rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=308733

Ok I thought the goal was to reduce sensitivity in pitch, my bad. I re-read your post I guess I misunderstood.

Free ideas....

What about using 450 or 500 size carbon r/c heli blades as arms but not flat...vertical or maybe angled so the air from the direction of travel and the prop downwash align.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	59605
    Last edited by Adrianm1972; 10th March 2015 at 05:55 PM.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast