Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboforcer X2000 View Post
    I'll cover motormounts with cones, but not sure about the arms... I thought of doing so, but I'm afraid they will do more damage than good. At full speed quad is tilted more than 45deg and I have no way of telling what my tilt will be. If I'll put teardrop cover vertical than it will create a little lift and more drag than naked round tubes. Once I'll know my full speed tilt I'll consider making them covers, cheers Bruce
    That's why you make the fairings so that they can rotate freely on the arms -- that way they'll automatically adjust themselves to the minimum drag position.

Quote Originally Posted by LKTRSMG View Post
    awesome new build, robo!! Nice challenge... for now my 3S 250 will not be able to compete I'm afraid

any reason you didn't go for tilted motors or am I missing something?
    Cheers Smog! I didn't go for tilted motors as I don't know how much will it tilt on full throttle. As the body is slim it won't matter much for aerodynamics regards the tilt, but it would matter if I tilt the motors and screw up by missing the tilt angle

Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    Robo you are always up to something! Do you ever sleep?
    Hans asked me that already as well LOL Yeah, I've tried that, but still having wet dreams about my copters...

Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    Here is a special OneShot enabled simonk esc with regenerative braking enabled . 6S 2000kv.
    Which are your ESCs? If it's not a big secret? (I think I can beat you eventually anyway, he he )
    Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    Do you want to make this the main 250mm speed thread or should this be your focused build thread and we make a more general one in the subforum?
    Lets make this for everybody whoever want to join us More people joining will make it a better challenge!
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

subscribed!!

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    That's why you make the fairings so that they can rotate freely on the arms -- that way they'll automatically adjust themselves to the minimum drag position.
    Good idea, I'll take that on board
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

Those are the HobbyKing F-30A ESC, you just have to remove the sense caps like we've been doing since 2013 or so on larger quads. The only real difference is enabling oneshot for 8x the communication between the FC and ESC
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

I have few Fs, will see what's going on there, it's just they wouldn't fit in my frame and I was hoping my Sunrise will work...

I've some work done on the canopy, first round of filler and sanding. It looks like a dildo now.... I screwd up with expandable foam- got some cheap one from hardware store and instead of curing like a normal foam it cured like a sponge, dammit! While sanding balsa was sinking and after filler I had to be very careful not to crack the mold, it just made the work more difficult.

Derrick:

OSUFPV - KF7VFT
    It seems to me that the smaller the area exposed to airflow (drag increases by the square of the velocity) and higher pitched props would be a winner. Interestingly that leads to the best form factor being something like the V22 osprey. I think for static quads (without tiltrotor) the best solution might be to have the total pitch so high that the blades only stop stalling at a relatively high speed. It would make it very unstable at anything other than high power, but speed records arn't really the place for design compromises, unless you just want to build a fast normal quad...
    Formerly: rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=308733

Or Chinook style: Stacked rotors. Still a 250 (wider than long), but 6.5 inch blades...
    Last edited by softlad; 26th February 2015 at 11:05 PM.

Navigator
    Hi Robo, I have a question for you:
    Will you use the balsa canopy on the copter, or it is just a mold for a vacuum formed plastic body?
    Keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast