Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Little more progress.
    Glued the cross on with resin and microbaloons, sanded, put some CF strips to join the cross with battery holder. Now I could cut out some holes to make it lighter. There will be more holes later, when I know where all my gear will be placed. It obviously weakened the structure, but the battery slides in tightly and works as a structural part, no flex whatsoever.
    It will be a bit lighter, but for now looking good at 16gr. One arm is 6.5gr for now (not glued together and no motormount yet) so still by the plan to have under 100gr frame.

Whoever was lost in my flow of imagination now can see what this baby is gonna look like'ish Second pic- arms are not cut to size yet, but right one is pretty close. 5" prop that is in the pic is the max that will be used.

If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Forum Member
    Robo, you rate with my favorite authors, can't wait for the next exciting episode
    Incredible frame weight so far

Cheers bro! Next episode will be delayed a bit as I'm going for surgery (to bolt my collarbone together) right after Easter.
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

Forum Member
    Standing by
    Good luck with the op and have a great Easter

Forum Member
    Really awesome design you do here. I have been following your work for months now.
    One question pops to my mind. Do you consider crashing and do you have spares?

I already crashed 3 frames due to technical malfunction within a few weeks and I would not like to have to build for days until I can start my next run.

If I knew 100% I won't crash then my frame would much much lighter As much as I don't want to, I think I'll crash at some point and I'm preparing for it. That's why my battery holder with cross section is much stronger than my arms. In event of a crash, arms should brake and then I'll have a lot of "fun" desoldering half of the wiring, molding new arms, soldering, etc... I'm trying to get away here with the least strength needed just to withstand the stress of flight and a bit rougher landing as I won't have any landing gear. Stronger quad means more weight, more weight means less speed and this one is just for speed, nothing else matters. Something has to give, and on this one is my arms. I'll test it with different props I have, go celebrate my record and depending on whether I broke it or not I'll either start another speedster or go start building my 300km/h+ MiniDrak
    Derrick:

ESCs are soldered. Also I glued on copper plated GF plates with 3.5mm connectors, that's my PDB:

As my batteries are HV, I had to test my 12v and 5v Becs to make sure they can handle that extra volt. All is good, no overheating for 20 mins of being plugged in.

Vtx is 2.4g micro with linear antenna to reduce weight and space. Rated as 500mw but I doubt about that... I tested multiple DIY antennas for signal distance and settled with 1/4 wave whip. In WiFi congested area between houses (nearly LOS from Vtx to Vrx) I could walk only 150m until signal became unflyable. In open and uncongested area and above the ground situation of course will be better, but lets presume that this is the limit as worst case scenario. In this case I have ~300m of video range and going at ~300km/h (I truly hope I'll do that ) I have only ~3.5 seconds between unflyable signals from end to end. From experience and other pilots flights I can say that 2 seconds is enough to crank up your speed to the max. So theoretically that is enough and I'll go with that.
    Vtx for testing range was powered for 20 mins and was getting hot enough for me not to be able to hold it between my fingers for too long. But the video was not breaking, neither signal distance looked reduced, so that box is ticked as well

I'm used to fly with goggles and will be doing so, but there's a problem with my HDs- DVR is not recording OSD data. In live feed I see OSD when flying, but on playback (neither via goggles or laptop, or SD card in a laptop) there's no OSD data showing. Therefore (and for diversity) I made a quick GS for passengers and that I can put a camera behind the screen for OSD proof. Quanum 2.4g diversity Vrx, 12in LCD screen with hacked FW for no blue screen, one standard 2.4g whip, and one high gain 2.4g antenna which according to my live tests is absolutely no better than a standard whip... As I don't have any 3s batteries I hooked up two 2s 5.0A to make 4s and added a 12v Bec to power my monitor and Vrx.
    I was looking at that GS thinking that smth is not right there and only after bringing it outside I realized that it is missing a sunshade, doh....

Derrick:

Forum Member
    Thanks for the update Robo
    Had similar OSD issues with totally different gear and in the end cured it by swapping the camera with a different brand?
    Culprit was a Runcam Sky

Forum Member
    Switching from ntsc to pal or vice versa has fixed the OSD issue for me on occasion. Also a cap on the vtx power has helped for OSD fading out under power.

New recievers finally showed up this week, need to change out the one in my build, as the one that is in there seems to randomly lock up. Haven't flown it since I had to hunt for it out in the woods last year. Weather is finally starting to cooperate, but work isn't, been working 6-7 days a week and a lot of 12 HR days. Looks like the current record is up to 196mph. 200 has been my goal for awhile now. Should be possible on 6s, and I have tested on 8s as well.
    Last edited by DelusioNFPV; 21st April 2018 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks for the tips lads, I'll try them.
    Derrick:

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast