Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: World speed record with 250mm (or under) size quad

Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    EPic! Your mold making went very well I think. Bet its the last time you use mdf as parting board So to the question..... Why is the leading edge of the arms pointyish instead of rounded? Do you want to have the option of flying both directions?
    Yeah, no more MDF indeed
    So to the question..... It's not the right one, yet you still can have some beer with me, whenever you're on Vancouver Island! So does everybody else who wants to come over
    I don't need a wing airfoil on the arms so made them pointy, no need for a lift here, just pierce the air.
    The question I was looking for is how am I gonna squeeze ESC inside the arm as it is too narrow at the body and motormount on the other side. I won't, they will be buried inside when I glue two halves together. I'll leave 3 short wires for the motor and 2 power wires at the narrow side. And if I crash, I'll have a lot of hassle- mold another arm, desolder power and motor wires and so on. All this mess is to save that extra gram
    If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    PatrikE: I don't see anything wrong in your dump...
    Derrick:
    you are flying it LOS... You are doing it wrong.

Both plug halves are finally done, ready for molding arms

If you're a noob, copy 1:1 what somebody already flies without too much questions, you'll find the answers later.
    Derrick:

I've molded one arm (two halves) and realize that this will take forever... Mushroom cap is deep enough and it takes some time to get everything right to get proper vacuum. In other words I can't mold in to 2 plugs at the same time. So 4 arms by 2 halves plus 4 times to glue two halves together for each arm leaves me nearly 2 weeks just for molding/glue shit, if I mold one arm's half in one day while cleaning other plug. Watching epoxy dry constantly for 2 weeks is no fun, I'll go start building my snowboard while waiting... LOL
    Here's one half of the arm. Same 0.7mm thickness, solid, 3.6gr weight. It obviously has some torsional flex, but that should be gone after two halve' marriage.

Derrick:

Navigator
    Robo, I'm in awe man, and now not sure whether I want to post this build log, lol

Been hectic these past few months, crashed another after reusing the receiver from my previous lawn dart. Kept locking up randomly, and being a dumbass, I was testing it on a 5s while tuning. It shot off into the woods at 140+ mph. Found it 3 hours later thankfully, and its in 1 piece. Though the battery didn't survive. I'm still interested in trying out the inverted motors, might try that on the next one.

Anyways onto the build log.

Cutting carbon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170904_172542-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	77944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170904_133048-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	77943

Frame sanded and rough fit

Name:	20170906_155039-1.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	77945

Epoxied and wrapped with SpiderWire, fitting ESC and motor, bare frame weight of 58g
    Old esc's fit entirely inside, the Aikon/T-Motor 45a hang out a ways. Motor wires are fit in a
    groove in the arm.

Name:	20170908_172506-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	77946

Motors and ESC's installed, ready for wiring nightmare.

Name:	20170911_190021-1.jpg 
Views:	708 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	77947

Got lazy, forgot to take more pics. Semi complete with 1800mah 6s

Name:	20170913_190401-1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	77948

Working on a simple aero pod out of foam for weight reasons. But not going to post a speed until I hit a certain number, and its a very high goal lol.

Edit for Robo: Might want to remove the 5v reg and power that fc with a pololu. Most of the micro fcs don't like 4s+. I'm using one as well, removed mine and I'm powering it via a 5v bec. And still getting battery voltage in the osd.
    Last edited by DelusioNFPV; 1st January 2018 at 09:54 PM.

Glad to see you got settled and are back on the horse Robo, been away from the lab for a bit so she hasn't been updating me.

Keep up the great work u guy's, for me it's not about the speed but watching you all craft your machines
    A treasure trove of learning

Cheers bro!
    @D- I'm not gone, just things are going much slower than planned. I have a little more progress on my build, will post shortly, just can't force myself to get my pics in order BTW, what motors are you using?
    ...looks like by the time I'll finish mine there will be better gear around, you just can't keep up with this tech anymore... LOL
    Derrick:

Navigator
    Those are the Cobra Champion 2210 2200kv. Yeah the tech is coming out way too fast anymore, hard to keep up.

Been getting into planes a lot lately, working on building a Strix nano Goblin for readymaderc's time/speed/distance challenge. Focusing on the speed portion of course. Been flying a stock one, little thing flys amazing for a sub 250g plane. Need it to warm up some though, highs have been in the single digits farenheit, lows well below zero. Got spoiled as it had been a fairly mild winter until mid December.
    Last edited by DelusioNFPV; 3rd January 2018 at 08:17 AM.

Things are moving slowly but still moving
    I decided not to wait til I for all the arm halves and proceed with arm holder cross + battery holder. To keep my geometry spot on, on a flat surface I made cross section holders:

Put a drop of CA, took it out, glued with epoxy+microbaloons and sanded. Cut a hole to clean and sand the joints from the inside, for them not to cut in to wiring:

Put holders back on and using squares and rulers glued my cross section to battery holder:

Next step is epoxy again, sanding, carbon cloth reinforcing/joining and then I can cut out holes in battery holder to make the frame lighter. So far everything goes by the plan to have ~100gr for bare frame.
    Derrick:

Robo, great work as usual, ever thought of hitting NASA up for a job?

Yeah, bro;-) This is as exciting as ever. Now I am looking forward to both Falcon Heavy and Robos new quad.

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast