Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: antenna height

Argh yes I read about that as well I just thought I would go with what I got. Hmm I think I am going to have to think about this a bit more then because I really intend to fly more than ground fpv. I might get 1.3ghz system n monitor for that purpose only then. Thank you so much for your time and help on this issue there,s so much to learn. I know of a place I can get a cheap 1.3ghz set up from maybe a couple of weeks I will have made my decision.

I have a roll of cheap dollar store tape, and a 10' 3/4 pvc pipe. I tape the rx to it, and tape the pipe to the back of the SUV. Works much better this way, gets it out of the SUV's path.
    Flying through the cash.

Yup, I pretty much do the same. I'm going to make a nifty trailer hitch mount when I get some time.

Brooks, N7BLD

Navigator
    Lets get ready to RUMBLE!

Seriously though, as most hams already know, antenna design and height can make a big difference. You may not notice a HUGE difference elevating by 9', but if you eliminate a little interference from the rest of your gear and get a little closer to the polarization lobes of the TX, you might see enough improvement to make it worthwhile. I know from experience that even the difference between hood of the truck and roof of the truck can make a difference in 433MHz reception.

That's a ripper of a setup on that car, but I think it illustrates another point, there is a practical limit to how far one should go, so high is high enough, that may vary one to another. Sort out what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by crashpilot View Post
    Hello all I have been wondering about mounting a clover leaf antenna on a 9ft pole to receive better reception. I heard somewhere that the higher the antenna the better it is. Just wondering if this is true has anyone done it using 5.8ghz.

On 5.8, raising your antenna can help to reduce background noise from ground based wireless devices, it also raises your receive antenna out of the Fresnel zone more than it would be closer to the ground, the downside is you must place your video receiver up in the air next to the antenna or get killed by coaxial cabling loss's.

If you can work around that, then yes jack it up there as much as possible.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

What an effing foamer.

I'll bet 90% of those antennas are terminated into nothing other than that Ham's ego.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by phidauex View Post
    Lets get ready to RUMBLE!

Seriously though, as most hams already know, antenna design and height can make a big difference. You may not notice a HUGE difference elevating by 9', but if you eliminate a little interference from the rest of your gear and get a little closer to the polarization lobes of the TX, you might see enough improvement to make it worthwhile. I know from experience that even the difference between hood of the truck and roof of the truck can make a difference in 433MHz reception.
    Man, If I lived in a trailer park, I would NOT want him as a neighbor come storm season.....
    Flying through the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
    Man, If I lived in a trailer park, I would NOT want him as a neighbor come storm season.....
    Laugh my head off I would not like that in my street let alone trailer park. Looks to me he has a serious antenna fetish lol

Navigator
    I have my 1.3 vrx on the longest pole that will fit in my Outback.

I sit in a chair under it with a single piece shielded video cable down to my goggles.

No issues.

Fly 433DL also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	59144  
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin