Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antenna height

antenna height

Hello all I have been wondering about mounting a clover leaf antenna on a 9ft pole to receive better reception. I heard somewhere that the higher the antenna the better it is. Just wondering if this is true has anyone done it using 5.8ghz.

yes it is true. Just be aware of the material of the pole. that can effect the picture (if too close). but higher the better.
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

oh wow thanks for quick reply i intend on using a carbon fishing pole bout 9ft because it can be collapsed for storage. Thank you my friend something to do weekend now

I use a lighting stand, and that works for me, I noticed fairly early the extra height over a tripod made a difference.

It works great! I'm not sure why this isn't done more often. I've permanently installed a 1.3ghz to 5.8ghz repeater mast on my roof. Now I'm able to drive my ground FPV rig all over the neighborhood

Brooks, N7BLD

Thanks for the video that looks good I am planing on sorting mine out this weekend thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFlightMedic View Post
    It works great! I'm not sure why this isn't done more often. I've permanently installed a 1.3ghz to 5.8ghz repeater mast on my roof. Now I'm able to drive my ground FPV rig all over the neighborhood
    I bet that's cool what cable do you use for the extension is the normal .316 or something like that the stuff you see advertised on ebay with connectors on

The best way to do it is mount the receiver on top of the mast. Adding length to the coax leading to the antenna will create loss, and negate any benefits you'd see by elevating it. If you want to keep it hard-wired to your goggles/ground station, get a long RCA cable (preferably shielded) and put chokes on the ends.

Brooks, N7BLD

I only have goggles you say mount receiver I take it I need to buy a separate 5.8ghz one and some chokes. would I get what i need from a maplins store they sell all electronic stuff here in UK. I could just go and ask are the chokes easy to fit and how many would i need. Sorry for all the questions just started fpv and love it ime getting a plane to do it with as well. But at the moment I am using an old kyosho quad rider as a ground pounder but not getting very far with video. Hence i want to mount antenna on pole

Yeah, you'd need a separate receiver to make this work. I'm not sure it will be worth your time and money at this point. Elevating the antenna only serves to extend it's line of sight over relatively low level obstacles, so 9' probably wont buy you too much. You'd probably see a bigger performance improvement and better penetration by switching to 2.4ghz or 1.3ghz first.

Brooks, N7BLD