FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging LEDs to Throttle Inputs (Futaba 8FG)

Forum Member

Rigging LEDs to Throttle Inputs (Futaba 8FG)

What's the best way to rig a switch to turn on LEDs when throttle is applied on a Futaba 8FG?

What I've tried is to have an LED switch on channel 9 assigned to the same throttle control (J3). I adjusted the endpoints on channel 9 such that any input to channel 3 throttle triggered the switch.

Is this a clean way to do it? Seems to work fine. But I am not at all affecting the actual throttle input doing it this way, right?

Forum Member
    Jim lee has a full Arduino controlled light bar deal going on, might want to pm him for more info. He can get the lights to do just about anything that imagination limits you to.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business:cool:
    Always under revision to make it better.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
    What's the best way to rig a switch to turn on LEDs when throttle is applied on a Futaba 8FG?

What I've tried is to have an LED switch on channel 9 assigned to the same throttle control (J3). I adjusted the endpoints on channel 9 such that any input to channel 3 throttle triggered the switch.

Is this a clean way to do it? Seems to work fine. But I am not at all affecting the actual throttle input doing it this way, right?
    That will work fine. All you are doing is mirroring the output of J3 to channel 9 also. But I don't think you can change the endpoints on channel 9 without it also affecting channel 3, so be careful about that.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OtherHand View Post
    That will work fine. All you are doing is mirroring the output of J3 to channel 9 also. But I don't think you can change the endpoints on channel 9 without it also affecting channel 3, so be careful about that.
    I've got my endpoint 135, 100, 35, 135 and subtrim on channel 9 at +240. I think with those changes I'd notice an effect on the throttle channel, right? I've only got a switch connected to channel 9 so all it's doing is receiving info from J3 which is actually controlled by channel 3. Am I overlooking something?

Forum Member
    Guys sorry to beat this to death but can anyone else please confirm if the way I have this setup might cause issues with my throttle? Thanks.

Forum Member
    Well that's interesting. I didn't know you could run the same control on two channels with differing control throws. I duplicated your settings on mt T8FG and see that's the case. If you go to the Linkage/Servo display you can see the signal being put out on each channel. I'm not sure if what's going on on channel 9 is exactly what you need but you can screw around with the endpoints and trims to get it right. And I don't see messing around with the channel 9 settings changes the channel 3 throttle output at all. That's good to know.

Forum Member
    THANK YOU, OtherHand. I really appreciate your feedback. I didn't think of looking at the servo screen to check if channel 9 did anything. Just to be absolutely clear, here are the settings I have (its actually channel 10 where I have the LED switch):

* I've got a switch controlling the LEDs hooked up to channel 10 [ Functions \ 10 \ AUX5 \ J3 \ --- ].

* I've also got that channel reversed. As it stands, this triggers the switch at about 50% throttle - I want it triggered more like at 5%.

* So I truncated the end points for channel 10 [ End Point \ 10 \ AUX5 \ 135, 100, 50, 135 ]. Now the switch gets triggered at around 25%.

* To get me to 5%, I upped the sub-trim for channel 10 [ Sub-Trim \ 10 \ AUX5 \ +240% ]. Now the LEDs light just about when my motors spin when armed.

Forum Member
    Here's some screenshots of the servo screen under different throttle settings:

I'll post a video later of what I'm trying to do here. It's actually kinda cool lol.

Forum Member
    what receiver are you using to do this ?
    cheers
    [B]4 wheels moving body 2 wheels moving soul
    [/B]

Forum Member
    TFR8-SB in mode B.

(channel 9 is a buzzer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast