Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IR LEDs + Low Lux Cam = Night Vision?

Forum Member

IR LEDs + Low Lux Cam = Night Vision?

I had picked up a 0.00008lux Star Super Low Light cams for night flying. If I were to surround it with IR LEDs using an IR sensitive lens, should I expect to be able to practically see in complete zero light darkness? I'm looking at maybe 6x 850nm IR LEDs in 2 strips of 3.

Forum Member
    You'll see in complete darkness within the range of the IR LED's. I use them on my ground rig, and I can see about 100 yards ahead without any problems. I'm using a 0.0001 lux cam, so yours might work a bit better. If there's some illumination from the moon or other man-made light sources, you may not even need IR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brooks, N7BLD

Forum Member
    Thanks Colorado. 100 yards is WAY more than I was expecting. I'm planning on using these IR LEDs. I'd gone with some photography friends for some starlight photography out in the canyons in the middle of nowhere. I could see absolutely nothing in this low lux cam. Well the sky was lit up but everything else was pitch black.

Forum Member
    You will see much better performance using leds around 808nm. The further you get away from that part of the spectrum the less the camera is able to see the light. A 1watt led at 808nm will appear twice as bright as a 1watt at 850 to most cameras.

Forum Member
    I've done this using the night quad cam box which uses 1watt LED's, they are bringing out a new version which uses 4 x 8watt LED's but its pricey, the original version was only around 50, here's some of my vids.

YouTube - rudeboysrc.com
    Facebook - rudeboysfpv.co.uk

Forum Member
    Just a warning about that camera... I bought one for the same reasons, but the Starlight Sense (or whatever it's called) works only if the camera is not moving. Once in motion the redraw noise was horrible. Tons of ghosting. Unusable for night flight.

I ended up using this low light lens with this camera. Flight-tested this rig at a pitch black field, barely any ambient light. I was able to fly around incredibly well... blew me away how much detail it picked up. And this is with an IR filter still on the sensor. I imagine removing it would make it even more effective...

Forum Member
    HarryHastur, yes, even with the IR LEDs, that Starlight camera really sucked. I was very dissapointed. So much so I ditched the idea of turning that particular mini into a night flyer entirely.

Do you know if there's anything in particular about that Sony Effio that makes it ideal for low/no light conditions? I do like that it is CCD (the Star-deuce was CMOS). But I'm wondering if I can't use this Sony Effio 800tvl with the lens you linked to? Reason I ask is because that is my favorite FPV cam and they are on all of my builds.

Thanks again! Maybe my nightflyer will be a reality after all lol!

Forum Member
    Rudeboy, what cam is that?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
    Do you know if there's anything in particular about that Sony Effio that makes it ideal for low/no light conditions?
    I don't. I know my PZ420 works pretty well in low light, but that Effio chip does better. That said, I couldn't get a good daytime tune on it, hence why it's my night camera now. The lens is a huge help though. If I get some bench time in this weekend I'll take screen caps of my settings.

Cheers

Forum Member
    I don't know much about this but I went for a longer than planned 15 min flight near dusk with a fat shark 700 cam and it suddenly turned from colour to black and white- I flew home thinking something wrong and landed, when I took off the goggles it was that dark I couldn't see the quad on the lawn!, it wasn't intentional but I was impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast