Thread: Astraeus Technologies AT 4-Switch: dual redundant RC system

Astraeus Technologies AT 4-Switch: dual redundant RC system

http://astraeustechnologies.com/inde...roller=product

The AT 4-switch is a very tiny four way analog switch, controlled through a PWM signal from any RC receiver.

The switch behaviour is effectively identical to a mechanical 4-way switch:

- It is bidirectional: it can be used to select between two signals to a single output, or to forward one signal to two different outputs.

- It can handle up to 400mA on each of the four switches.

- It can transmit signals up to 18MHz, which includes PPM, PWM, and audio signals.

Even if it can be used in many different applications, it was developed for using two totally independent, redundant, RC systems (even working in two different bands, like UHF and 2.4GHz). This allows an ultra-reliable master and slave setup, with the Master Pilot capable of regaining the control just flipping the transmitter switch associated to the AT 4-Switch.

This allows two pilots to be able to control the aircraft at any time (as an example, a FPV pilot and a LoS pilot), and it's also ideal for training purposes, without the mess of traditional trainer systems, where the two transmitters must be connected through the cable, and share a single RC link.

The four switches are used as double input, single output, selecting which of the two RC receivers is used, and then using one of the switches to select the PPM signal to the Flight Controller from receiver A or receiver B, another switch for the landing gear channel, and the other two switches for the camera gimbal controls.

Wandering, but not lost
    Neat switch. I guess it would have to be a "break before make" instead of a "make before break" in order to not short the outputs (or inputs). That might end up resetting some types of devices due to the signal loss for that split-second during switching. I wonder what chip is running it... notice there is no underside photo.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Neat switch. I guess it would have to be a "break before make" instead of a "make before break" in order to not short the outputs (or inputs). That might end up resetting some types of devices due to the signal loss for that split-second during switching. I wonder what chip is running it... notice there is no underside photo.

Yes, obviously it needs to be "break before make", but it's extremely quick. We have tested the impact of this few microseconds disruption with many different Flight Controllers (for PPM input), ESCs and analog and digital servos (for PWM) and none of them suffered from this, as it only can potentially affect (depending on the moment it switches) to one signal period.

Wandering, but not lost
    That is good news indeed. I see lots of very useful applications for this unit. I could use two of them, but at that cost I think I will wait a bit in hopes the price comes down.