Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who in here knows autopilots?

Forum Member

Who in here knows autopilots?

Hi guys please share your knowledge of what autopilots you know well and what type they are.

Forum Member
    PPRZ, APM, PIXHAWK, Openpilot CC3D.

Forum Member
    apm/pixhawk, lots of testing

Forum Member
    I've used a Rvosd v5&6, Myflydream OSD/AP, Skylark Dianmu, Uthere Ruby, and the Naze32 with minimosd in plane mode

Forum Member
    RVosd V5 only
    TwinStar Brotherhood
    MyFlyDream Twin

Forum Member
    ArduPlane in APM and Pixhawk + MinimOSD. Can do code modification.

Forum Member
    I've used a lot but I've been building most rigs with a Pixhawk or Ruby these days.

Forum Member
    APM on Fixed wing.

Completely autonomous flight takeoff to landing...
    Last edited by btown2; 13th February 2015 at 11:43 PM.
    I aim to misbehave.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.

Forum Member
    I am wanting to dev profiles for the Drak to make it a mapper and it needs to have auto takeoff and accurate autoland capabilities. it needs to work very well. Tinkering is good, but what we need is something to be fairly tuned and polished
    Last edited by ritewing; 14th February 2015 at 01:16 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritewing View Post
    I am wanting to dev profiles for the Drak to make it a mapper and it needs to have auto takeoff and accurate autoland capabilities. it needs to work very well. Tinkering is good, but what we need is something to be fairly tuned and polished
    I'll talk about APM since it's what I know.

You need to be mindful that autopilot landings are only going to be as accurate as your gps. In my video above the the landing point is set in the middle of the runway but it actually lands about 8 feet to the side of that mark. Then you also need to consider how auto landing actually works in APM.

To land you set a waypoint at ground level where the land macro will kick in. Once the plane reaches either a configurable amount of distance or time from the way point it will initiate a flare (configurable as well) and hold that position. Presumably if everything goes ok this is 1-3 yards from the ground and you get a nice soft landing like the one in the video. This however can get tricky and a lot depends on the mission waypoints used prior to landing. For instance setting a landing at 0 ft with the previous waypoint 100 ft away at say 300ft just isnt going to work. It will overshoot the landing waypoint while holding it's flare and could possibly stall and crash. So even with the best tuning already available for customers they will still have to be able to set up a competent landing approach.

So there are little details that add in error to the landing process.
    1. GPS
    2. Bad landing pattern leaves too much airspeed to burn off.
    3. Bad landing pattern leaves too little airspeed to make the target. I actually had one attempt where the penguin actually landed about 30 ft short of the mark and then proceeded to motor up and 'drive' the rest of the way to the mark.
    4. Not re-calibrating the airspeed sensor and air pressure sensor after the apm warms up.

Auto take off on the other hand is very solid on APM. You set a target altitude and it automatically holds the heading you throw it on. The only real issue to look of for here is to get the motor spin up timing right. You certainly don't want the prop on the end to catch someones hand, but you also dont want it to take too long after the throw to actually spin up.

Just some thing to think about.
    I aim to misbehave.
    I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar.