Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash & Burn: The Bureaupathology of the Federal Aviation Administration

Forum Member

Crash & Burn: The Bureaupathology of the Federal Aviation Administration

Just might be a worth read and only $20 or so.

We are living in an era of rampant political scandals that often leave Americans feeling discouraged and distrustful. People who were voted into office lie with impunity, commit crimes, and sell out to lobbyists. High-ranking public officials equivocate or bend the facts before Congress. Federal agencies make a laughing stock of their own mission statements. The FAA is a case in point. According to the agency's website, its vision is "to improve the safety and efficiency of aviation, while being responsive to our customers and accountable to the public." There is overwhelming evidence that the FAA is very far from attaining safety, responsiveness, or accountability. Robert M. Misic, the author of Crash & Burn: The Bureaupathology of the Federal Aviation Administration, believes that, when citizens get a clear view of what is happening behind the curtain of secrecy, they will take steps to stop it. They will demand accountability for self-serving, dishonest, and unlawful actions. They will expect a thorough housecleaning. This book was written to pull back that curtain of secrecy and reveal the true nature of the FAA. Timing Inside the FAA, there is much dissatisfaction; the agency ranks 214th out of 216 federal agencies in a "best places to work"index compiled in 2009 by the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service. Internal hostilities at the FAA have caused many air traffic controllers to retire as soon as they are eligible -often long before they are 56, the mandatory retirement age -creating a staffing crisis. The agency has been accused of mismanagement, unqualified or inadequately trained supervisors, and a dispirited workforce. This has resulted in a culture of secrecy, disparate treatment of its air traffic control workforce, and compromised safety of the flying public. This is especially troubling since promoting aviation safety is one of the reasons the FAA was established. Strengths -What is "bureaupathology," and how does this term apply to the FAA? -What are the consequences to the flying public when an agency responsible for all aspects of aviation safety is managed by bureaupaths? _What is the evidence that this has caused ruined careers, health problems, and even death? Compelling as those questions are, it is the way the author answers them that sets this book apart. Rather than merely presenting facts and evidence to support his premise, Misic makes his case through stories stories of whistle-blowing, suicide, tragedy in the air, blatant disregard for life, rule breaking, errors in judgment, unnecessary spending, and irrational decisions.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Forum Member
    Thank you for posting this.

Forum Member
    Hey Wayne!
    You ever read Robert Sheckley? "A ticket to Tranai" comes to mind when I see stuff like this.
    In that story every government official had to wear a special necklace. And every citizen who was displeased with a particular civil servant's actions and such could make an appointment and go into this room with a large board that had a name of every official and a button next to it.
    Push a button - necklace explodes, separating head of said official from his body.
    Now that's accountability.
    I guess DC would become a ghost town in a matter of minutes, huh?
    Slava B.
    W2RMS

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kompuntu View Post
    Hey Wayne!

I guess DC would become a ghost town in a matter of minutes, huh?

Na just a town of zombies at least at the FAA, they have clearly demonstrated they don't need brains so the loss of such would not be a handicap. ;-)

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Uggg I'm getting tired of seeing all this political stuff Wayne. It' making this forum really un-fun to be on.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Uggg I'm getting tired of seeing all this political stuff Wayne. It' making this forum really un-fun to be on.

Well then would you be so kind to explain how to make discussing a regulatory agency run by politicians a non-political discussion? You cannot and while you might not like politics, it is inseparable from a subject once the government is involved in that subject.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Thank you for posting this.

It's a short read consisting of a series of short stories consisting of internal blunders by the FAA and some employees, written by a retired ATC, in the end it more or less confirmed what I suspected about the FAA and that is they are a top heavy parking spot for political hacks who do a fine job of screwing things over, with a thick layer of it floated up mid-management incompetence.

While the FAA claims to be all about safety, the reality is they are way too cozy with airlines and aircraft manufacturer's and are a place where money gets a first class ticket, while safety rides the bus.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    You should remember that it is not compulsory to read all threads or posts.

There are plenty of threads on FPVLab that don't interest me in the least -- but I don't complain about it -- I simply ignore them and read the stuff that I *do* find interesting.

Just because *I* don't find something interesting would not inspire me to try and stop others from talking about it. Last time I checked, it was still (albeit barely) a free country :-)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Last time I checked, it was still (albeit barely) a free country :-)

For now. Check back in a couple years...

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    You should remember that it is not compulsory to read all threads or posts.

There are plenty of threads on FPVLab that don't interest me in the least -- but I don't complain about it -- I simply ignore them and read the stuff that I *do* find interesting.

Just because *I* don't find something interesting would not inspire me to try and stop others from talking about it. Last time I checked, it was still (albeit barely) a free country :-)
    I totally agree that I don't have to read every thread. I just chose this thread because it's one of many posts that Wayne has relating to political issues and his own views. Every thread he participates in turns into argument, enough so that I'm running into it every time I go to look at a new thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast