Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TBS Gimbal help needed

TBS Gimbal help needed

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a Disco Pro from Mongrel (Thanks John!) and have been thoroughly enjoying the flights whenever I can make time. But being new to the sport and having a desire for more knowledge (I love to tinker) I have some questions Id like to ask those more knowledgeable than myself. And rather than bother Mongrelgear with a billion questions I thought Id post here.

I have had some inconsistencies with my gimbal lately. I thought I had solved it a couple of times now, only to have it happen again yesterday.

Basically the problem is associated with the pitch as far as I can tell. When adjusting the pitch via pot it can at times fail to pan all the way to the top (pointing at the sky). It doesnt always have this problem, but when it does its quite frustrating.

Some things Ive done/noted:

* Checked all connections, zip ties, clearances etc to see if it is a mechanical problem. I believe it was at first but now I have everything clear, go pro cord is zipped clear of all snags.

* Modified go pro plastic housing to allow clearance of one of the gimbal screws, and center the go pro a little better in the gimbal frame. I did this for a couple of reasons, but I reasoned that if the gimbal had too much forward mass it might be struggling to bring the camera all the way up.

* Removed Jello guard. This problem seems to have a greater chance of surfacing if the guard is on. Forward mass again maybe?

* Upped the pitch power from 135 to 145.

It was suggested that I might not be flying smoothly and thus the gimbal may be "breaking traction" due to user error of rough flying. Duly noted, but I have experienced the same problem with the blades removed and the Disco powered up on the workshop bench.

So, any suggestions from others out there? Any experts in or near the Sydney region (Im on the Central Coast). Be good to meet some other disco pilots in the vicinity anyway.

Cheers

Warg

You Absolute Shower.... Lab Monkey's Avatar
    A little video of the problem will help a lot, in the meantime power off & check the Gimbal stays where you put it, ie, move by hand where it should go & let go, if it springs back, the frame (camera) is out of kilt.
    All the right notes.....Not necessarily in the right order. Eric Morecambe

Hi Lab Monkey,

Thanks for your post. I will try and get a video of it today. Its difficult, because it doesnt always happen.

I will check the balance of the gimbal in the meantime.

Cheers

Warg

O.K. Warg, don't forget to have the GoPro in there when you check the Gimbal...

Running my pitch at 173, looks like you may be using the old setting. If you are using the latest hardware setup they you need to raise the power setting for pitch.
    similis vobis fugere eam furatus!

• Edith Sitwell "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Running my pitch at 173, looks like you may be using the old setting. If you are using the latest hardware setup they you need to raise the power setting for pitch.
    Giddy up PeteDee. Good to hear. This TBS is recently built by Mongrel, so I assume its got the latest setup. My roll was at 175, so I was a little surprised to see the pitch @ 135. I will up it and see if that helps.

@ Lab Monkey.

I did some unpowered tests with the gimbal/gopro. I had some horizontal balance issues which I managed to solve by just adjustment. See pic before adjustment.

Still has some vertical imbalance, Im not sure how to mechanically adjust this? Maybe PeteDees advice on the power setting will solve my issue.

Thanks guys.

Warg

Last edited by Warg; 8th February 2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add pic

Vertical imbalance isn't that important, Just as long as it doesn't "stick" or "Grind" as you move it by hand through it's axis, I'd forgotten about dialling up the pitch power (Pete to the rescue again), Come to think of it, I wound mine up till I could feel a light buzzing on the front of the Top Frame, then backed off a Tad, think it ended up around the 160 mark, let's hope that works ..

Highly recommend grabbing a California Dan GoPro holder for your gimbal, makes it so much easier to insert and remove your GoPro.

• Edith Sitwell "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Hey PeteDee.

I believe thats the one I have installed. See photo above. I had to modify mine slightly For a better fit around one of the screws. Original had snapped there. Also chopped a little more out of the top. Good holder otherwise.

Thanks for your help guys, testing out a higher pitch setting today hopefully.

Cheers

Ah yes so it is, they are great!