FPVLAB

View Poll Results: Where does the SMD go?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: [Solved] Where does this SMD go? (FS TX 3.2)

[Solved] Where does this SMD go? (FS TX 3.2)

So after much headache troubleshooting why I'm not get a video signal from my FatShark 250mw 5.8GHz vTx, I decided to inspect the board components. No visible faults were found so I probed further by popping off the shield and carefully scrutinizing the components. Low and behold I spotted an SMD hanging out on its own and resting against a leg on the chip. I poked it and it tumbled around. It looks like it must have come loose from either a cold solder joint or maybe from the insane furnace heat this thing produces.

Anyhow, I only have one shot at soldering this back down (if that) so I wanted to ask others where they think this goes. I located 2 possible candidates and marked them #1 and #2 in my photos. I am going to pull out my magnifier to look for evidence of a previous component at both of these sites but haven't done so yet.

So my question is, where do you think this SMD goes?
    ...and, am I perhaps missing another one too?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February 6, 2015 112804 PM PST.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	58354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February 6, 2015 112654 PM PST.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	58355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February 6, 2015 112914 PM PST.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	58356  
    Last edited by KellenR; 16th February 2015 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Solved.

Hi KellenR, Welcome to the LAB

hard to tell from the pics but I don't think the component was ever soldered to either of the two places... it was probably knocked out of place before reflow, not sure why it would pass QC test???

Post this over at the FixIt thread http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....hlight=martiny you will get more tech eyes on it I don not have a fs tx like that otherwise I could pop it open for you...

You could easily be missing more than just one, with a number on the main chip you could bring up a pinout and spec sheet that would list what the pin should have in front of it...

If this is new would be easier to return it for a good one... I know fatshark is a great company and customer service is a number one priority, I am sure they will make you happy
    Last edited by RonSII; 7th February 2015 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks, Ron. I will post over there and see if I get any ideas. This is new, I've owned it for about 6mos. but bought it for a specific multi-rotor that I was building. I tested it out initially and all was working fine. Once I finished the craft and was ready for it I couldn't get video signal to the goggles. I ran through all the general troubleshooting including different antennae, different wires, test pins, channels, etc. and just cannot figure out why I'm only getting snow onscreen. Fumbling with the vTx while signaling does change the image but its just wind in a snowstorm still.

Now that you mentioned that it may have been a remnant component that was never flowed, I'm wondering if by it being snagged onto one of the chip's legs may have been the culprit. I'm going to pull that thing out of there and try firing it back up again and check. I'll report back.

I'd love to have FatShark exchange it if they'd be willing too. I assumed that since I removed the heatshrink they may consider it "modified" and refuse support. The only thing I've done is troubleshoot why its not working though.

You might shoot off an email to fat shark support@fatshark.com and let them know or post in the fat shark support forum http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdispla...tshark-Support
    as long as your up front with them they should treat you right... hard to say on the modified bit...I know they don't like people troubleshooting without their guidence but may be worth a shot. I know exactly where you are coming from with buying parts for a project and then taking forever to get to them
    Last edited by RonSII; 7th February 2015 at 07:13 PM.

that is sime tiny soldering. good luck
    reading is for stupid.

Ron, you're the chosen winner here so your prize is this 'virtual high-five'!

I did further troubleshooting and ultimately discovered it is the camera that's bad (FS Pilot HD). I rigged a GoPro mini-USB cable to my Hero3+ and everything worked with Tx/Rx.

I still am not sure why the FS Pilot HD camera is bad but it still records to sdCard just doesn't want to send the vOut to the Tx. I checked the wires and pin-connectors etc. and nothing is standing out as bad but who knows, there's so much on that camera board I will eventually go through all of it.

Anyway thanks for your comments, it got me thinking and does seem to be an extra part just laying around inside (even more odd).

Good to hear you got one problem sorted as for the pilot hd cam doublecheck the wires from plug to plug (removed from cam) sometimes the wires get pulled out of the crimp on the tiny connectors so it doesn't hurt to do a continuity check.