FPVLAB

Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing the LKTR120 Micro FPV Quad / LKTR100 / LKTR090

looking really good Edwin!

only think I would do is try use some smaller wires, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-0-1mm-Hoo...item1c35efd6f1

Quote Originally Posted by LKTRSMG View Post
    looking really good Edwin!

only think I would do is try use some smaller wires, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-0-1mm-Hoo...item1c35efd6f1
    Thanks for the positive feedback, the wire i'm using now is very finely stranded 28awg silicone wire which I found worked great in environments with lots of vibration.

I would like some thinner wire so I will order some of the suggested wireand test, thanks!

Thanks Edwin. Nice post. Your build looks great by the way, Esp with the top deck.

I have been powering it up, and hearing a beep with all of them wired up - but I can't tell if it's all of them due to it being a tone, and next to each other.

Comparing with how you have done it, I found no shorts (measured voltage on the pads). This is all with a flight control board connected.

Here's an picture of how I tried testing the ESCs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19742639608_59fbaa05cd_k.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	64697

The bottom left ESC was connected to the the Servo tester, and the signal cable i connected to from the Flight Control.

Have not connected any to the computer yet (would be a lot harder now with the signal / ground cut off), but it should still power up / beep I thought?

To see if all esc's power up you can watch the motors move ever so slightly during the startup sound when you plug the flight battery in. At least mine can be seen to vibrate during the startup sound.

I didn't realise you had a servotester that could handle the 2s from your flight battery so you don't need a seperate battery pack for your servotester. If you turn the servotester all the way down to min throtte the connected esc should beep once (on my servotester min throttle is fully cw, with my servotester fully ccw the esc's kept starting up in configuration mode.)

The only thing I would do is disconnect the signal wire from the afromini while testing or disconnect the + or - going to the afromini, that way you are sure there are not 2 signals on the same wire.

Hooking up the esc's to a computer should be just as easy as connecting them to the servo tester, you just need to connect the ground and signal wire to the usb stick and then plug in the flight battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I didn't realise you had a servotester that could handle the 2s from your flight battery so you don't need a seperate battery pack for your servotester.
    I don't think the servo tester supplies enough voltage to the ESC to power it up. This might be the problem. I recommend connecting the ESC directly to the battery or an appropriate power source. The servo tester is for supplying power to servos (5-6V) and not ESCs after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    To see if all esc's power up you can watch the motors move ever so slightly during the startup sound when you plug the flight battery in. At least mine can be seen to vibrate during the startup sound.

It's this servo tester by the way. It does warn to not input a voltage higher than the servo can handle, which is a hint that it passes through. Used some probes to hold them in place on an ESC, and had it give me the voltage needed (power connected, multimeter on that and ground).

Borax made me think about if it's giving enough voltage, so I measured on a multimeter the batteries correct voltage (was 8.2 at the time) coming out from the servo channels Ground and Power.

In a semi good sign, the there seems to be a short when i connect both of them (gnd + power) now... so I'll disconnect it from the PDB and try again to isolate. The pdb is probably a bit of a mess now. Nearly electricuted myself a few times already, whoops! I have been worried about the afromini overriding the signal coming from the signal tester, I'll try that again shortly while taking out it's power as you mentioned.

*edit* yeah something is clearly pretty wrong - 2S battery directly to the ESC generated smoke, so that one clearly is not liking it. I think a good lab power supply might be the call, with overcurrent protection to help prevent me getting burns again.
    Last edited by SuperRoach; 24th July 2015 at 11:47 AM.

Starting to think maybe it's the motor, not the ESC's. On suggestions elsewhere, I made a separate battery harness, so I could try one ESC/Motor at a time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FEMw1b.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	64740
    The wiring is so that I have two Grounds and Power coming out from the battery connector, so I can power the flight control board and a single ESC at a time.

I took a video of the stuttering that the motor gives:

I checked that the mounting screws were not stopping it from turning (tried taking them off and holding it on my palm), and it performs the same. Do you think this is a faulty motor?

I'm just wondering what the settings of your esc are and if all motor wires are soldered correctly?

One thing I found in testing was that by accidentally entering the setup mode of the esc with the servotester the throttle clibration was way off and it would only start at almost full throttle. With the usb programming stick it is easy to check the settings.
    Also one of the 4 motors had a cold solder joint in one of the wire pairs, that made it stutter in a similar way. What I found was that I had to turn my soldering station up to 450 deg. C to tin the ends and burn off the enamel coating, then I could turn it back down to 350 C to solder the rest.

Finally found some time to finish building this quad and dive into the fc and osd firmware. Everthing except the hubsan cam is connected and tested :

and a shot from below for the cable layout fans

I must say the micro minim osd is an awesome piece of work, especially flashed with MWOSD, with the quad disarmed it is possible to enter the osd menu with your tx, from there it is possible to change pid's, expo, display etc, all by moving the tx sticks.

With everything configured I hoped to do a maiden flight this weekend, however 2 of the 4 motors have very bad vibration issues, it looks like they are unbalanced. I contacted Oversky and hope their customer support is any good. BTW, these are the 7800kv motors, at the time I ordered from the link in LKTR's post and did not look carefully enough to see oversky changed the motors. I hope these perform as well as the 6500kv ones.

Here's the video I sent to oversky :

Hi Edwin, great build! And you even have the OSD on it, something that I did not manage to do in months

regarding the motor vibrations - I also get pretty bad vibrations when spooling up without props - I would just put the props on an see If its flyable on the PIDs I posted.

From the video its obvious that 2 motors are vibrating more but not sure how much this will affect flight performance. Still It would be nice if oversky could provide us with balanced motors...

Let me know how oversky reacts to your email - if you're not happy the response please sent me a PM and I will talk to Jon. Such a clean build really deserves some well running motors...

Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast