FPVLAB

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing the LKTR120 Micro FPV Quad / LKTR100 / LKTR090

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19165983920_c837eddaa1_k.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	63928
    A Day's worth of soldering and resoldering The motor wires in particular. I used a servo tester to get the direction right. To the top of the picture, I've got the Signal (and ground which I guess I'll cut off) cables snipped and ready. I have routed them through the underside to there so I can connect them to the flight control in the top middle. It should let me open the lid without unsoldering stuff when I'm done. I tried to explain it in an image how it should go... That's a power cable layout.

I noticed some of the motors occasionally stutter, I havn't worried about it yet...

Camera is ready to attach. If you are wondering which direction it goes using the one popular on this thread , The microphone and cables go to the bottom. I used a portable projector to test that...

Name:	19347511112_cada28b29c_k.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	63929

Also, the 1.8mm cable ties I got are far, far too short - they won't tie anything and lock in place. Back to the drawing board there Also, the double sided foam tape I have is probably going to be too thick to put the flight control in the inside section of frame.

Although I don't have the eFlite Micro connector needed to be put on the PDB to finish it, I hope to finish up the Top Frame in the morning and get most of it done. Maybe even the FPV part!

Here is a drawing of the Power layout I plan to do. I needed help with visualizing how the cables are going to connect, especially with the idea of the "pop top"

Name:	R21yGfZ.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	63939
    The main part is routing cables through the rear where possible. A note for anyone building this quad - if you are buying the kit, please buy multiple of those eflite adaptors! They are a pain in the butt to source.
    Last edited by SuperRoach; 2nd July 2015 at 09:18 PM.

Navigator
    Great job on getting this quad up and running!
    Pardon my ignorance just in case. Why is it being sold by Oversky in China now? Is it available somewhere in US?
    How long can you fly and which battery you ended up using?
    Thanks

He Just picked those because they bundled the motors for cheap.

I think I just fried my Flight controller board. It gives me a jingle (from the escs) when plugging it in via the FTDI, but nothing happens when plugged into battery power. Probably the Voltage regulator is blown.

I've just resoldered all of my motor connections to be on S1-S4 on the afro mini, and done the ground pins just in case.

The reason for the swap in pin layout was because I couldn't get all of the motors to spin up, only one of them.

I'll order another flight controller, but I think I'll put this project for rest until then because I've been too slow with progress.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by LKTRSMG View Post
    I dont think that Temjins issue has to do with damping/braking or the prop drag. I think its an ESC issue - maybe the ESC simply do not generate the RPM needed and so the thrust is it too low. I tested the readytoflyquads HugESC 12A on stock settings and they were underperforming in terms of thrust, measurements documented in this thread.

Im running Multistar 6A on stock settings and get insane punchout power. Just maidened my second LKTR120 on MultiStar ESC and it performs just as the first one. Bottomline is when sticking to the recommended equipment and build technique I'm certain anyone will see similar performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
    It looks like Simonk has a rev limiter that I am running into. I am going to flash the latest BLHeli onto the Sn20As. If that doesn't work, I will get a set of the Multistars and rebuild.
    So I swapped in the Multistar 6As, using stock settings.

When it flies, I get *significantly* more power. No more fishbowling, loss of control, or fighting to stay aloft. I was definitely hitting rev limiter issues with the SN20s on SimonK.

However, I do have motor stuttering/desync issues at startup. About 75% of the time, one or two of the motors will stutter and I will be unable to take off. Taking off in a "stabilized" mode seems to make this happen less often. Once I'm in the air, everything works great, but it takes several tries to get there and is annoying.

I also am having problems with horizontal lines appearing in my video at higher throttle settings, which I never had before. Chasing gremlins...

On the plus side, the Multistars are very tiny and very thin. I was (barely) able to mount them on top of the arms, rather than below. I feel much better taking hard landings now that the ESCs aren't the first point of contact with the ground!
    Last edited by TemjinStrife; 7th July 2015 at 03:11 PM.

I just wanted to let you know... after months of waiting for the ESCs, it's finally airborne!

flies really great with the posted PIDs

Navigator
    Very cool! I need to put a few of these together for winter! I'm looking for the most powerful setup while keeping weight in mind. I only see one micro BLHeli ESCs that support damped light on 2S so I may have to go with 1S power, unless the XP 7A Fast is light enough for this setup.

Testing and checking for faulty ESCs

Getting back to it - I'm having trouble with two of the ESC's in testing are stuttery and don't start up, and two others don't start up or beep and arm at all. Following the ESC Post on here, I tried using power and ground to a ESC, with signal going to it's signal cable. Doesn't appear to start up.

Is there any other trouble shooting I can do for trying to spin up a motor, or would I assume the ESC is broken and I should look into ordering some more?

Here is some images of the setup so far, with the new AfroMini board. Note that with the new mini, the FTDI pinout is at the rear and not the side, so you would need to change the layout of your Quad. It may have been possible to mount it sideways on this quad, although the middle would be blocked by the nylon hex standoffs.

Name:	19904082062_bf375d4af7_k.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	64680rClick image for larger version. 

Name:	8hSAOKZ.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	64679

Always looks awesome to work on.. At the moment I just want to get a successful motor test working.

So far the testing has been with the Flight control board (ESC's 1 + 2 are stuttery but can be heard when powering up, 3+4 do nothing). I've moved away from that and am trying to diagnose using a Servo tester setup on each ESC.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRoach View Post
    Getting back to it - I'm having trouble with two of the ESC's in testing are stuttery and don't start up, and two others don't start up or beep and arm at all. Following the ESC Post on here, I tried using power and ground to a ESC, with signal going to it's signal cable. Doesn't appear to start up.

Is there any other trouble shooting I can do for trying to spin up a motor, or would I assume the ESC is broken and I should look into ordering some more?

I've moved away from that and am trying to diagnose using a Servo tester setup on each ESC.
    Hi SuperRoach,

Here's how I checked the motors last weekend:

With all motors connected to the esc's and all esc + and - connections soldered together, first check if there are no shorts with a multimeter, then connect the flight battery to the esc's to see if they all give the startup beep signal. If all is OK, disconnect the battery.

Then connect a receiver battery pack to the servo tester and hookup the ground of the servotester to the - wires on the quad, then hookup the signal wire from the servotester to the signal wire of the esc you want to test. Set the servotester to the minimum position (1000us pulse width). Then reconnect the flight battery, the esc's should make the startup sound and the esc that is connected should also give a beep that it has detected the min. position (comparable to throttle stick all the way down) Now when you turn up the servotester the motor should start to spin.

Have you connected all esc's to blheli suite to check LKTR's suggested settings?
    Last edited by Edwin; 22nd July 2015 at 02:29 PM.

For everyone interested in the build progress :

I found some time to work on the quad last week, after figuring out how to connect everthing including the osd the assembly of the fpv "backpack" could start.

As posted before the camera wires run under the battery out the back of the quad and there they plug into the wires to the osd

initial positioning test :

later I swapped the position of osd and vtx to keep the channel select button and transmit power potentiometer on the vtx accessible

wired up and heat shrunk vtx/osd/voltage reg. combo :

and everything tidied up and attached to the topplate :

The plug with two wires connects rx/tx of the osd to the afromini, this plug can be detached to connect the afromini to a computer

then powered up the the backpack with a bench supply connected to the voltage regulator and slowly turned up the max. amps, leds went on without a problem, the current maxed out at 1,1 A when the osd was starting up, then settled on half an amp. Powered up my DIY goggles and plugged in the camera and there was the picture!

No osd information could be seen yet as the osd still needs to be configured, then soldered a small pin to the dtr pin on the osd as I forgot to put a wire on there.

Things to do :

- connect esc wires to afromini
    - configure afromini
    - configure osd
    - test
    - fly!
    Last edited by Edwin; 22nd July 2015 at 03:01 PM.

Page 37 of 61 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast