FPVLAB

Thread: First FPV Build (please advise)

Navigator

First FPV Build (please advise)

Hey, this will be my first FPV build, and I am looking for some opinions, advice on it:

Goggles: Fatshark Teleporters or the Predator V2's w/ spironet omni's (Both of those packs come with a camera and a 250mw Tx

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_5_8G_TX.html

Transmitter:?

Aircraft: Bixler 3
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

3200 3s LiPo (For Bixler)

I feel like I am forgetting something.....

My goal is to be able to get about 4km distance ( Just over 2.5 Miles) I realize that I will need some different equipment for this (maybe a patch, but I am not worried about that now).

I just need some suggestions for a Tx

Thanks

For geting started, I'd recommend the Attitude V2 set way over the other two you mentioned. The Attitude is just way beyond the Predator and the Teleporter. For starters, the Attitude has 100% better resolution than the others (640x480 vs whatever the inferior stats are for others) and a 35 degree fov vs 25. I feel anyone would be much happier say longer with the Attis over the Teleporter and Predator. Def worth the extra $.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

Navigator
    I wish I could but that would double the build cost of this rig (I am hoping to keep it at about $600-650 AUD). The Attitude's are just a little bit out of the price range.

Navigator
    Bump

My Predator V2 fatshark setup was the first FPV set I bought and it worked flawlessly. It is very similar looking to the fatshark teleporter you mentioned above. My Predator V2 kit also came with a 250mw 5.8ghz Tx. With the stock antennas I had my quadcopter out a half mile with no issues.

Since then I have changed to flying with screens instead of goggles and 1258mhz.

From my experience, the fatshark stuff is good if you are just starting out and the immersionRC stuff works flawlessly. However, that teleporter goggle is saying it is only 320x240 resolution which is TERRIBLE.

Navigator
    You lose a little of the immersive experience by using a monitor, but you also save quite a bit of money and have the advantage of situational awareness if you need to take a look around the area where you're standing. I'm quite happy with my 8" RMRC monitor, and if I get goggles in the future the monitor will be a great way for spectators to see the action.

If "starting cheap" is required for $30 you can get the DIY goggle set from HobbyKing, but have to add on a video transmitter and video receiver and antennas, separately. Added up it should be cheaper than the least expensive FatShark goggles.... But believe me, the FatSharks are worth it!
    -KRoss1
    KD2GTU

It is true you lose the immersive experience when you go to a screen. For me, I started to dislike being blind to what was going on right around me and my ground station while flying with goggles.

I started with the teleporters because of the low start up cost but I soon figured out that I needed something better. don't get me wrong, they are fine if you are on an extremely low budget but if I had it to do over again I would have went one step up. Especially If you are planning on using an OSD, you will right away realize the limitation of the teleporters. After flying giant scale for years, I was hesitant to try FPV so I started cheap just to see what the fuss was all about. I quickly got obsessed with FPV and upgraded everything. I can at least use the teleporters for a passenger when my Dominator HD's come in.