Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Make Stunning Aerial Videos and Photos With Your Quad

How To Make Stunning Aerial Videos and Photos With Your Quad

EDIT: To celebrate my 1000th student and that my course now has 28 5* reviews, the highest on the Udemy platform for a drone videography course at this time, I am running a promotion on the lab for the next month of 80% off my course $99 >> $19. Click here to get it.

At last! I am excited to be launching, on the lab, an extensive course I have put together on how to create stunning aerial videos and photos with your drone (yeah I know, I used that word). This has been many months in the making and has actually been live now for about 6 weeks. There are a few people on the lab that have already bought it and been through it so hopefully they will share their candid opinions on how they have found it.

Here is the promo video - to buy the course, see the link below rather than using the one on the video as the coupons on the vid are almost all gone and the link below gets you a slightly lower price.

Why have I done this?: I love my quad and particularly love flying for shooting aerial footage. My focus was almost immediately on flying and then editing together aerial productions. I enjoy the editing side of things almost as much as building and flying. I am particularly interested in trying to describe what does and doesn't work, both in the air and in the editing steps. I am also a learning designer by trade so putting the course together was a great way to combine my interests.

Having put extensive thought into this I came up with a framework to help think about every flight in order to maximise the useable footage you get from them. This covers things like the flight patterns you can consider flying (7) and the different types of emotional impacts (10) you are looking for from the footage generated by the flight patterns. Additionally I came up with a set of guidelines to follow when editing your vids (25!) and a generic 8 step editing process with illustrative in software walk throughs. In some ways all of this gives a new kind of language to help talk about how to make aerial productions. Additional content covers things like the planning steps you can go through to prepare effectively for your flying and filming missions including a range of tools you can use.

What do you get from the course? In total there are 76 lectures, including over 6 hours of video lecture content. Over 40 of the lectures have flight footage used to illustrate the learning points. There are a number of different takeaways as well such as checklists, printouts of the framework etc.

Who is the course pitched at? It is targeted at anyone that is keen on learning about how to make good aerial footage with a drone, ideally a multi. So you might be someone that has been flying for a bit making the odd video and now want to work out how you can improve what you produce in terms of pre-flight planning, in the air skills and on the computer afterwards. You might be new to everything and are particularly keen on aerial productions and want to know what you should be aiming towards.

What is this course NOT for? Though the course touches on some things to look into from a legal and safety perspective the course is not designed to be a guide on your local drone laws or how to fly & film safely. These are areas that you must know already or that you must go and master before considering implementing any of the techniques in the course. Also - the course is not hardware specific and is not designed to teach you about how to set up any of your own drone hardware or specific handling skills for that hardware.

How do I get the course? It is hosted on a website called Udemy that hosts 1000's of courses and about 5 million customers. You log in there and get lifetime access to the course once you have bought it. At the moment the standard price is $99. As a very special launch promotion on the lab, pretty much my RC birth place, I am putting up a number of coupons giving 80% off - hence $19. I am particularly keen that anyone buying the course makes sure it is worth to them what they pay for it. To aid that, Udemy have a 30 day full refund policy for whatever reason - cancel at any time within 30 days and you get a full refund. Make sure you sign up using a computer as I understand this refund option is not available if you signup via a mobile at the moment.

Here is a link to the coupon where you can read a load more about the course, see a complete outline, read over all my 5 star reviews , and see a bunch of sample lectures. And buy it if you are interested: https://www.udemy.com/drones-aerial-...nCode=FPVLab19
    Last edited by DiscoTuna; 12th May 2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: adjusted for 80% off promotion

So I got the course on Udemy mid December and I must say I love it.

The technical part did not offer a lot of new insights (as might be expected) -
    but the ways it makes you start thinking about the actually flying and the editing has helped me a lot.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the course to nearly all people I know and at the current 29$ it is a steal.

Want to step up your edits? Go for it!

Am I paid for this? Nope, I just really, really liked the course.

Great work Bruce!

Navigator
    can i ask how much data the course requires? i live in rural newzealand and only have 8gb a month via satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by gnrc View Post
    So I got the course on Udemy mid December and I must say I love it.

The technical part did not offer a lot of new insights (as might be expected) -
    but the ways it makes you start thinking about the actually flying and the editing has helped me a lot.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the course to nearly all people I know and at the current 29$ it is a steal.

Want to step up your edits? Go for it!

Am I paid for this? Nope, I just really, really liked the course.

Great work Bruce!
    Thanks man - appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmernz View Post
    can i ask how much data the course requires? i live in rural newzealand and only have 8gb a month via satellite.
    Farmernz - a very good question - I have a rough idea of how much content I have uploaded across the 76 lectures, but not sure what the downstream size would be in total as I assume that Udemy do some things to aid the streaming. I will put in a post to their technical department to see if they have some way of pulling the data. As you can imagine, it is very media rich. My estimate is its going to tap into a significant chunk of that quota if not all.

Navigator
    Wow man, i can appreciate the effort and work you have put on this!!!.. It sounds like it was well put together just like your videos.. Good Luck......

Quote Originally Posted by bernarddiaz View Post
    Wow man, i can appreciate the effort and work you have put on this!!!.. It sounds like it was well put together just like your videos.. Good Luck......
    Thanks bernarddiaz - I hope people get some really useful stuff from it. Though something odd is going on with this thread as there were a few more posts under it just now including some feedback from GNRC who had taken the course and now those posts have gone. Hopefully the internet gods will return them!

Navigator
    I was wondering how come i was the first one posting..lol..are you by any chance coming to the CFL FPV meet on Feb? would love to have you come out and have some fun with us...

That would be very cool to join in, but I am based in South East Asia so not so easy to do .

Navigator
    obrigado!

Navigator
    Just joined your course. AH I see you've filmed at Castle Point in New Zealand. I'm doing a uav vid shoot there next month.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast