Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mk2-L Build, all finished

Quote Originally Posted by Chile Vuela View Post
    Thanks! Just sent you an email.
    I didnt get it, PM me your email and I will get in contact with your right away

Some 1mm carbon fiber plate, a bit of work with Skil saw and drill, and the gimbal is repaired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-GimbalPlate-Roll.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	57760 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-GimbalPlate-Pitch.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	57761

Root cause of the crash has been found and it was such a n00b mistake -- my GPS stand broke, so I ziptied the GPS/magnetometer unit to the quad, right above the piezo speaker. D'oh! That has now been fixed with a bunch of nylon stand-offs and a bit of G10 plate from another quad (looks funny, but it works to elevate the GPS and magnetometer and hopefully won't break anytime soon). The piezo speaker has been moved to the bottom of the dirty section. At the same time, I reorganized the wiring and left everything much cleaner. Now if I could only get the bluetooth module I bought working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-LeftSide.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	57762 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-RightSide.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	57763

I also discovered the holes for the vibration dampers on the front and back of the frame -- I hadn't noticed those before. I put pink dampers there and some black ones I had from another quad in the sides and there's almost no vibrations coming through to the GoPro, and that's without even balancing the graupners. I filmed about 15 minutes of footage and only noticed vibrations on launch and in maybe 3 or 4 one second chunks throughout the video. My vibration damper configuration is, from front to back: pink, black, pink, empty, empty, pink, black, pink. Any advice on how to tune out the last bits of vibration? Maybe some blacks in the empty spots?
    -Matt: destroyer of gimbals, wrecker of frames.

My YT Channel --> youtube.com/user/mdbardeen
    Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

Here's a sampling of what I got yesterday at the Rio Maule. Pixhawk is still giving me problems, there's something (gimbal motors maybe?) interfering with the external magnetometer. I got two flights out of it though, but most of the first wasn't recorded due to a full GoPro.

Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

Man, I love the video!!

Its on our Facebook now

Finally figured out the flight controller issues -- bad external magnetometer! Now I have to go through and retune the flight controller and gimbal (since I wiped out all their settings).

But, got some nice video from the Andes yesterday! It was insanely windy, and I had the gimbal set for low power so some residual shakiness got through..

Quote Originally Posted by Chile Vuela View Post
    Finally figured out the flight controller issues -- bad external magnetometer! Now I have to go through and retune the flight controller and gimbal (since I wiped out all their settings).

But, got some nice video from the Andes yesterday! It was insanely windy, and I had the gimbal set for low power so some residual shakiness got through..
    Extremely nice, I love the scenery I had the change to fly there and its beautiful!!

So I had an "incident" over the weekend, most likely caused by loose props on the CW motors. I was flying along at around 200 meters and I lost all yaw control. The quad came tumbling out of the sky and landed in 1ft deep water in the river. The only physical damage was to one of my improvised gimbal motor mount plates. If that's not a testament to the strength of the Cinetank, I don't know what is!

The video of the crash:

Navigator
    Chile,
    Sorry for your bad crash. I did have a similar story and will upload the video later to show the horror and my brown moment

We all have them, eventually. Thankfully as bad as it appeared on video, pretty much everything seems to have survived unscathed! The GoPro, gimbal controller, and flight controller all seem to work as they should. All I've got left to test is the video system. If that works then the crash landing turns from bad to miraculous! So far the only damage I've encountered is a broken tab on one of my homemade gimbal motor mounts, a blown ESC, and two of my nylon standoff "legs" (oh, and my pride).

I'm pleased to say that my Cinetank is once again healthy and airborne. Total losses from the crash were: one gimbal motor (wires ripped out), one homemade gimbal motor mounting plate, and one Lumenier 30A ESC. I replaced the 30A escs with the KISS escs I had on hand and am very impressed with hovering stability now, even without OneShot. Add that to a weight loss of over 100g and I'm a happy camper.

I only had 2 18A escs, so I used 2 12A escs on the front motor. The 12A are a little underspec -- Ecalc says 23A max usage at sea level, but so far so good. I'll have to do some extensive testing to ensure all goes smoothly.