Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mk2-L Build, all finished

New Mk2-L Build, all finished

Hi folks! I'm new here in the Flying Cinema section, but not new to quads. I just finished up a CineTank Mk2-L build, and I must say that I'm very impressed. The frame was a Christmas gift from my wife (evidently, it's not common for women to buy quadcopter frames, so everyone thought it was fraud ) and just arrived on Friday. I had built a QAV540 v2 previously, but never was very happy with the frame, especially the arms, and much less happy with the gimbal -- even a light crash would cause the roll gimbal shaft to snap, and the only way to replace the shaft was to replace the motor. After the 4th motor replacement and 3 bent arms, with very little usable video to show from it, I called it done.

So the all the bits used in the QAV540 were migrated to the Cinetank, which were:
    Lumenier FM4006-13 740kv motors
    12x6 Graupner E-props
    Lumenier 30amp SimonK ESCs
    HKPilot 32 (HobbyKing's Pixhawk clone)
    Ublox Neo7M GPS and external mag
    FrSky D4R-II in PPM mode
    3 channel video switcher
    MinimOSD v1.1
    ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz video transmitter
    PZ2040 video camera

For the gimbal:
    Simple Basecam 32bit gimbal controller
    Luminer GX2008 gimbal motors

Total flight weight: 1940g

I finished up the build of the basic frame yesterday and took it out for a fly. Everything went well and she came down in one piece, though in desperate need of tuning. Today I finished up with the gimbal build and worked on the tuning. This is how she looks now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-front.JPG 
Views:	428 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	57257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-right.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	57258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-left.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	57259

The wiring needs to be cleaned up and I'm still not sure if I want the FPV cam above or below the frame.

Here's some of the video I got:

I never managed to get video this good out of the QAV, and I'm highly impressed by the quality of the airframe. It feels so solid and well designed, and lots of spare parts included. The packaging layout was excellent and the build went easily. All in all, a big two thumbs up from me! The only negative? No stickers included in the packaging! What am I supposed to put on my gear box?

I'm really looking forward to turning out some great quality videos with this rig.
    -Matt: destroyer of gimbals, wrecker of frames.

My YT Channel --> youtube.com/user/mdbardeen
    Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

Navigator
    Very nice and clean! I think I am about ready to get one of the Cinetank frames. Just not sure which size to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Chile Vuela View Post
    Hi folks! I'm new here in the Flying Cinema section, but not new to quads. I just finished up a CineTank Mk2-L build, and I must say that I'm very impressed. The frame was a Christmas gift from my wife (evidently, it's not common for women to buy quadcopter frames, so everyone thought it was fraud ) and just arrived on Friday. I had built a QAV540 v2 previously, but never was very happy with the frame, especially the arms, and much less happy with the gimbal -- even a light crash would cause the roll gimbal shaft to snap, and the only way to replace the shaft was to replace the motor. After the 4th motor replacement and 3 bent arms, with very little usable video to show from it, I called it done.

So the all the bits used in the QAV540 were migrated to the Cinetank, which were:
    Lumenier FM4006-13 740kv motors
    12x6 Graupner E-props
    Lumenier 30amp SimonK ESCs
    HKPilot 32 (HobbyKing's Pixhawk clone)
    Ublox Neo7M GPS and external mag
    FrSky D4R-II in PPM mode
    3 channel video switcher
    MinimOSD v1.1
    ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz video transmitter
    PZ2040 video camera

For the gimbal:
    Simple Basecam 32bit gimbal controller
    Luminer GX2008 gimbal motors

Total flight weight: 1940g

I finished up the build of the basic frame yesterday and took it out for a fly. Everything went well and she came down in one piece, though in desperate need of tuning. Today I finished up with the gimbal build and worked on the tuning. This is how she looks now:

Name:	CT-front.JPG 
Views:	428 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	57257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-right.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	57258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-left.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	57259

The wiring needs to be cleaned up and I'm still not sure if I want the FPV cam above or below the frame.

Here's some of the video I got:

I never managed to get video this good out of the QAV, and I'm highly impressed by the quality of the airframe. It feels so solid and well designed, and lots of spare parts included. The packaging layout was excellent and the build went easily. All in all, a big two thumbs up from me! The only negative? No stickers included in the packaging! What am I supposed to put on my gear box?

I'm really looking forward to turning out some great quality videos with this rig.
    Awesome!! welcome to the family and look forward to some videos of those beautiful Andes.

Quote Originally Posted by bllama View Post
    Awesome!! welcome to the family and look forward to some videos of those beautiful Andes.
    Thanks! No Andes yet, but here's my favorite beach at sunset.

It still needs some more gimbal tuning. The winds were quite strong (30 to 40 km/h) and trying to make headway directly into them induced a lot of gimbal shake. Also, managed to stuff the quad into the sand on the very first flight (d'oh!) and had some sand get into the gimbal motor, so there's some jumpiness related to that.

The quad itself flies excellently & love the pixhawk. It saved me a couple times when I put some dunes between me and the quad -- I was able to flip it into loiter and reposition the transmitter to regain control.

Blog --> fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?38190-Vuela-Chile-Vuela!-The-ramblings-of-an-American-in-Chile

So today I revisited the location of my flight camera. I stuck it on a nylon stand-off on the bottom of the clean section, but had to fashion some "landing gear" to get enough room to hang it there

Name:	CT-Camera-Gear.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	57513

At the same time I noticed that it seemed like the gimbal was supposed to sit back a bit farther in the frame. However, with 12" Gruapners on it, there's not enough room. More worrying was that while I was playing around, I noticed there are some camera positions where there is quite a lot of overlap between the gimbal frame and prop -- especially when the camera is pointed down. So I did some trimming to the frame to ensure no problems -- I'm glad I didn't have any when flying over the water on Friday! So definitely something to be aware of if you want to run 12" props and point your camera down.

Name:	CT-Overlap.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	57514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-Overlap-Top.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	57515

So today I revisited the location of my flight camera. I stuck it on a nylon stand-off on the bottom of the clean section, but had to fashion some "landing gear" to get enough room to hang it there

Name:	CT-Camera-Gear.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	57513

At the same time I noticed that it seemed like the gimbal was supposed to sit back a bit farther in the frame. However, with 12" Gruapners on it, there's not enough room. More worrying was that while I was playing around, I noticed there are some camera positions where there is quite a lot of overlap between the gimbal frame and prop -- especially when the camera is pointed down. So I did some trimming to the frame to ensure no problems -- I'm glad I didn't have any when flying over the water on Friday! So definitely something to be aware of if you want to run 12" props and point your camera down.

Name:	CT-Overlap.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	57514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-Overlap-Top.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	57515
    I love the video from friday. I will post if on the FB page.

Will get in contact with you in regards the gimbal getting close to the props I dont have that issue and I run 12x5.5 SF props. Maybe be I'll send you a set.

I've actually got some HQ 12x4.5s on the way, with the thought to try them out for clearance, so no worries. I realize that there's so many configurations out there it's impossible to test them all. I just wanted to report what I found to help others out. So far my experiences with the frame have been excellent, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the video.

I need to spend some more time on the gimbal tune. I played with the auto-tune feature of the gimbal controller last night and realized that it was too aggressive for some angles, when the quad was nose down like it would be in forward flight against the wind, it would enter into auto-excitation and then oscillating rapidly. I'm assuming that was the cause of the instabilities that I saw. I re-tuned the gimbal with the quad in the problematic position and the P & D values were quite a bit lower. So far it seems good, but I'll have to test it some more.

Disaster struck tonight... flight controller started acting all strange. I had a crash earlier in the evening caused by a loose prop, but when I got it back up in the air again it just started to yaw randomly.. sometimes during the flight it was fine, but toward the end it was uncontrollable and crashed. It broke the roll motor mount plate and damaged the pitch plate. So now it's time to break out the tools and fashion new ones out of the carbon fiber plates I've got lying around!

Now I'll have to figure out the root cause of the crash.
    Last edited by bllama; 26th January 2015 at 09:30 PM.

Disaster struck tonight... flight controller started acting all strange. I had a crash earlier in the evening caused by a loose prop, but when I got it back up in the air again it just started to yaw randomly.. sometimes during the flight it was fine, but toward the end it was uncontrollable and crashed. It broke the roll motor mount plate and damaged the pitch plate. So now it's time to break out the tools and fashion new ones out of the carbon fiber plates I've got lying around!

Now I'll have to figure out the root cause of the crash.
    Email ma and we can work it out. I really want you to get back in the air!! send me some pictures of the broken parts

Thanks! Just sent you an email.